metallic rattle in a combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by byr0n, May 14, 2008.

1. byr0n

byr0n Member

Hey guys,

I've got a weird question. I know this is difficult to diagnose without hearing it, but my Fender Twin Amp has this weird metallic sort of rattle when I hit certain notes. At first I thought it was a speaker going out, but it is distinctly metallic sounding. I can't seem to find it. It's definitely physical rattling and not the speakers, as placing a 2x12 on top of the combo and running through those speakers instead of the combo speakers still causes the buzz.

The strange thing is, I played a gig last week with a band whose guitarist was complaining about the exact same type noise from his Orange combo, also when he hit certain resonant frequencies.

2. mpisarcik

mpisarcik Member

sounds like a tube issue. ebay search tube dampners- I got some for my el84's and they help alot.

3. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Bingo.

4. slegros

slegros Member

In your case Id say tube rattle because you tried a second set of speakers, but just in case how new are your speakers or the ones you tried running your amp through? Sometimes I've had this sound from speakers at various points throughout their break in. I had one amp I swore it was tube rattle, got dampers and the sound was still there. Speaker was new but after several hours of loud play the speaker noticeably opened up and the metallic rattle was gone. Then I had the same happen with another speaker. Incidentally both were Jensens and sounded great after they were fully broken in but both took a while to get there.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sometimes dampers work (it worked GREAT in my Peavey Classic 30) but be aware it can be a specific tube also where it is in the tube/cab and dampers won't necessarily help. Most often I ffind it turns out to be V1 or V2, and you can tell by taking a wood or non-conductive item like a chopstick, and gently tapping each tube in turn...see if you hear that sound.

Also, if you have a delay or can hold the note, have a note that causes it at the right volume going...to see if dampeners would work use the chopstick to press lightly in the top of the tubes one by one. See if any or several lesson the sound.

(I meant delay because you could loop the note, keep it playing to keep the rattle going)

6. byr0n

byr0n Member

Thanks guys. Your input is appreciated. :BEER