1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

metallica now all axe fx 2 for current and future tours

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by fgevans, Mar 27, 2014.

1. RipperShred

RipperShred Member

Preach it brother.

2. djlynch

djlynch Member

This thread contains 5-6 paragraph posts. Wow

3. GreatAnt

GreatAnt Member

He sure was....

4. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Whether you like them or not is immaterial, they too sell out stadiums everywhere they perform. When was your last gig in front of more than 50,000 people?

5. RackFiz

RackFiz Member

So does the Insane Clown Posse.

Anyways, I've played live on the internet before... that affords a potential crowd of over 3 billion.

...not my fault only a few of those people tuned in. :D

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Next time post you are using an Axe-FX and billions will tune in to tell you how digitial it sounds. ;) :roll

7. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

Obviously this just reinforces technology is changing how musicians are working.

4x12's aren't selling anymore.

Using Hendrix as an analogy, he used the most advanced gear of the day.

I believe that software/ hardware will really stick this time unlike the 80's - early 90's

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I never worry about people complaining.

Call me irresponsible.

I don't worry about "these sort of opinions"...anyone can say anything on the internet and after a while you realize they do. I learn from the posts I think are informative and ignore the rest.

Why get annoyed by a post made by someone you don't know and likely never will?

I wish someone had told me...

[​IMG]

9. Chaz Kellie

Chaz Kellie Member

I think as a whole, this is good for the modeling industry (all manufacturers). I have no idea what kind of affect this would have on future sales - many people just can't afford and Axe Fx anyways. But, perhaps as more "big named bands" jump on board with the various manufacturers, it will up the ante for all of them to produce better products (hopefully affordable for all levels of budgets).

PS: I went to Fractal's website to look at the price of the II, and after clicking around 4-5 times I finally got to the price. Are they not selling the earlier versions anymore? I also went to EBay and the only version I saw was the II. I probably couldn't even afford the Standard, but I was curious - though I didn't find any for sale. As a hobbyist that plays guitar for personal enjoyment and home recording, I can't justify spending over $2K - though I certainly see why the more serious guitarist would!! They sound great!

.....oh, about the only Metallica release I really liked was the Black Album. That was a GREAT release in my opinion!

10. mikah912

mikah912 Supporting Member

What does that have to with anything? Adam Sandler movies usually outgross Martin Scorsese ones. I guess Marty could learn a thing or two from "the master"?

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Do a saved search on eBay for a Standard...they sometimes go for less than $1K.

Just because you aren't "the master" that Scorsese is doesn't mean that you aren't accomplished.

No matter what you think of Metalica's tone or music you can't deny their accomplishments nor the significance of their use of Axe FXs. Certainly how significant it is remains debatable but it is noteworthy at the very least.

12. guitarstar2005

guitarstar2005 Member

Of course someone would say 'I do'

4x12's sell a fraction of what they did in the past.

It saddens me to a point that these are becoming huge relics.

Serious question - where do you gig that allows all those cabs? ( not a slam)

13. Scott Peterson

Piss him off and I imagine his next gig with that rig is on your front lawn at 3am. ;) :D

14. MacOSatch

MacOSatch Member

I understood that Metallica still have 4x12 on stage with Matrix Poweramps for feel. ?

15. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Correct. This provides acoustic reinforcement to the guitars which results in easier natural feedback and more sustain.

I did some studies years ago and having a speaker in proximity to the guitar actually changes the final tone considerably. I compared the frequency response with the amp in isolation to the frequency response with the amp in proximity and measured several dB difference in the lows and mids. It was clearly audible when the recordings were played back.

16. mattball826

mattball826 Member

i see no reason for surprise. pro artists have been using modeling preamps for quite a while. wasnt long ago many of those same endorsers were using other modeling products prior to fas. this is just the next wave. more will follow, many will probably again go back to traditional backlines as well. it seems to be a cycle. new trends... ok for a while, ohh loookie engl just made us an endorsement offer. next magazine says " xyz artist now using engl amps.

or xyz artist goes from engl to kpa or fas. no difference. just a change in gear to try. its like people bragging up the studiolives for boards. annoying. then i lol at so many accounts of my board locked up at the gig. shouldnt have sold the mix wiz. lol

17. mikah912

mikah912 Supporting Member

Barely noteworthy, and as I have said, it's not because I am slagging Metallica or Axe-Fx.

I just think metal already embarked far upon this road ages ago.... to the point where Metallica's partial acceptance of Axe-Fx as "finally being good enough" is pointless. It's BEEN good enough for score of guitarists and producers... and that's not limited to Axe. One of the biggest "radio metal" bands out there, Asking Alexandria, has used Pod Farm for both all tones on both their records (they play 6505s live). I've given plenty of examples of other major metal/rock artists who've already accepted it.

Metallica deeming it "good enough" also strikes me as odd given how sterile and solid state-sounding their crunch, lead and clean tones are.

18. Scott Peterson

Allen & Heath > Prosonus. LOL. Goodness... :messedup (*A&H devotee here).

19. mattball826

mattball826 Member

me too! i like the newer digital boards but damn are they having problems. my buds repair center sees many many of these boards. some user error, some firmware fixes, some factory resets, many other with control board issues.

i would go trusty mix wiz any day over these. what they offer in monitor control is cool, but realistically i have never had many situations after soundcheck where i have to mess with mon's. once its rung out its usually good to go. most like the nice eq and comp, but honestly i think external eq from rane or ashly just smoke those boards efx. they are popular though.

20. Promit

Promit Member

I can't afford an AxeFX. (The Standard is tantalizingly in the upper edge of my range... not sure if I'm okay with the first gen box.) I do have an Eleven Rack which I like for recording/practice/experimental purposes. Maybe I should hook up the 11r to a power amp and cab one of these days and see what happens. The Recto sim feels a lot like when I had an actual Recto even through monitors...

Oh, Metallica. I don't care for the current sound myself (based on the YouTubes), but I don't think that's an equipment problem. I just associate them with more of the classic sound and they've moved away from that somewhat. I don't know what all the bickering is about, apart from the Metallica-bashing bits. The Axe sounds phenomenal when dialed in correctly. Don't know how it feels or how hard it is to dial in correctly, but it helps to have two dedicated techs working on it for months I think.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014