Meteor II or Slant 6V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Luffe, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Luffe

Luffe Member

What amp would you choose?? I live in Denmark so trying it is not an option. I'm looking for an amp with a BF kind of tone. What do you think about the tremolo in the Meteor II??

2. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Tough call,
    I had the Comet. The amp before the meteor. It was VERY nice but it just didn't bowl me over. The slant 6V has the best clean sound I've ever heard, period. The newer ones aslo have a damn good distorted channel. The earlier ones were a little too warm. I think Steve Carr changed a couple of caps to make it a bit more Rock n Roll.

The 6v isn't too pedal friendly. Tube screamers etc are fine but fuzzes don't work well. I fond amps with a lot of high end detail don't do too well in the pedal category.

The 6v always reminded me of SRV's Lenny.

Both great amps. I'd pick the 6v but that's just me.

3. clarkram

clarkram Member

just so you can be confused....I've tried a Carr 6v and while it was nice, I didn't connect with it. The Meteor ll on the other hand was an immediate connection, great BF sounds with a big bottom end.

Re: tremelo is very effective, smooth, wide range....very usable. Both are great amps, but with different tube options, 1/2 power switch the Meteor ll is probably more versatile.

4. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    +1 for the Meteor II. My favorite Fender type amp available on the market today.

Chuck

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Meteor II owner here.
    Look no further if you're looking for BF Fender tones with reverb and tremolo to die for.
    S.
    j

6. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I had a Slant 6 for a while. Also a Comet, and I played TNJ's M2. Bith are nice, but I would go Tone King if I had to chose. They are very sim in some regards.

7. KLB

KLB Member

I've owned two different Slant 6V amps.

I now own a Meteor II 740A 1x12, which also sounds excellent with EL34 and 6L6. What it may lack, IMO, is a master volume overdrive channel. You have to crank the "lead" channel to get overdrive, and by then it is pretty loud. For lead tones, I mostly use pedals with the clean channel.

8. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I own both The Metero II and a Early Slant 6

I was always blown away by the clean fender Tone from the Carr,Always sounded good with Humbucks,and single coils,It was pedal friendly,and the OD channel was good for me,At That time I had the Comet 40B and I always went to the Carr for the Fender Tones,
    Now I have sold the Comet and purchased the Metero II and Man this is one sweet Amp,And all kinds of features too boot,And the 6L6 and EL-34 and 6V6 tubes that can be used is great versatilaty
    I have the 2-12 combo,and when I use the amp I hook up my Muzzle attenuator,and that way I can use amp for club gig,s cause it is one loud MO FO, The drive channal is a great tweed tone when you can cook the tubes,and the clean is well==If you ever heard the best fender tone like SRV Or Hendrix sparlkle then you can understand the sweetness of the amp.
    This is one of the best,But the Carr Is right behind also very good.:dude

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Both amps do a nice blackface tone. I prefer the Meteor. I also think the Meteor's reverb is superior - more depth, space and clearly more adjustable/versatile. The tremolo on the Meteor is very smooth, not on/off like photocell trem, this one modulates the bias on the power tubes.

I didn't care for the Carr's lead channel, a bit too gritty for my tastes though I understand he has improved it. I also like the Meteor's "lead" channel for tweed clean tones and you can use the reverb and trem on both channels. Resale seems to be a bit better on the Meteors as well. The Carr is a handwired amp if that is important to you, the Meteor has handwired pots, switches and tube sockets, but uses a high quality pcb for the main board.

All differences aside, if you need a lead channel at low volumes, the Carr has it, the Meteor does not.

10. Luffe

Luffe Member

I think I'll go for the Meteor II. The only problem is that Mark doesn't make them with a 230V transformer. But we'll figure something out. Thanks for all the "input", it really helped since I wasn't able to hear the amp

11. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Meteor II all the way. No brainer. :)

Jeff

12. voxworld

voxworld Member

I've got a Comet 40B and there's nothing I don't love about it. Never tried the Carr though for comparison.

13. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I hate to jump in on this, but I had both of those amps right next to a Bruno Underground 30, and it was a no contest. The Bruno was an entire level up in every way. Both of those amps sounded KILLER until I fired up the Bruno. It made the Carr sound flubby in the bass, and the Toneking sound cold and sterile. There were 4-5 players in the store, and when I fired up the Bruno, every one walked over and commented.

I am a HUGE Fender fan, so just something to think about. The Cowtipper 22 sounds as good as the UG 30, but even more Fendery.

VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD. :dude

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The Tone King has an awesome BF Fender sound on the clean channel, and a "tweed on steroids" kind of sound on the gain channel. The new Meteor II is the best Tone King yet, IMO.

15. jcshirke

. It made the Carr sound flubby in the bass, and the Toneking sound cold and sterile.

There's no way I would characterize the Meteor II as "cold and sterile". That's just not an accurate or fair description. I don't care what amp you're playing next to it. Warm, lush, 3D, full, bright, chimey--those are the words that come to mind. If it had too much spank and brightness for your liking, then you should have switched the voicing to "dark". Or, more likely, you played one right out of the box without its speaker being broken in at all.

I'm not going to put down another builder's amps, though. If you prefer the Bruno, fine. Maybe it's more versatile in some way, and it suits your needs better than a Tone King. But my .02 is that the Meteor II offers the most authentic reproduction of BF/Tweed sounding amps anywhere, and that includes even vintage Fender BFs and Tweeds.

Jeff

16. riffmeister

Are you insinuating that Tag doesn't know tone??

hehehe.....

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

Did you play the Meteor II?

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I am only telling you what I clearly could hear. There were many vintage Fenders there too. I liked the Fenders more than the Carr or the Toneking as well. Both of those amps sounded very nice, but were just not capable of the exquisite tones of the Bruno. The Carr flubbed badly with Humbuckers, and even flubbed a bit with a Tele. The Tonking had less flub than the Carr, but had a "harder"or "faster" feel and tone than the Fenders or Bruno. It sounded more modern with less give. Stiffer power supply maybe? Yes it was brand new. All of these are nice sounding amps, but IMO, some sound much better than others.

19. riffmeister

No, I think Tag played a Meteor I without the voicing switch.

The new Meteor II is the best Tone King yet, IMO.

20. jcshirke

Tag,

Ok, so you played a Meteor I, and it was brand new, not broken in.

You (apparently) didn't play a Meteor II at all, which is what this thread is about. Having owned both an original Meteor and a Meteor II, I know there is a very noticeable (and improved) difference in tone in the Meteor II. I'll take the Meteor II over any other amp in the Fender-ish genre any day. Until you've played one, I'd reserve judgment on it.

Jeff