Meteor II tubes.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EGO_MACHINE, Jun 5, 2008.

1. EGO_MACHINE

EGO_MACHINE Member

I bought two matched duet sets of Mesa 6v6GTA tubes yesterday before consulting the Meteor II manual. The manual states I should use 6v6GT tubes.

Will the difference between the GTA and GT 6v6's cause me problems if I load them into my Meteor amp?

thanks,

Dave

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I don't think there's any compatability issue with the Mesa 6V6 and a TK Meteor II.

Is it a 20w Meteor II, or a 40w? If it's a 40w, my understanding is that the tubes are in 2 pairs - the pair on the right, and the pair on the left. Facing the back of the amp, the two on the left are the primary pair - they're always on. Therefore (GRIN) replace the two tubes on the left first whether there are two or 4 tubes total. (This is different than a Fender or Marshall layout - those two have an inner pair and an outer pair of tubes. The Meteor has a pair on the left and a pair on the right.)

You NEED to bias them when you install 'em. There are convenient controls on the back panel for this - just plug in the multi meter to the bias point, and lift the switch above each individual tube to get your reading. Adjust each tube's bias with the potentiometer shaft sticking out of the bottom of the chassis closest to it's tube.

Probably a good idea to check with Mark Bartel - he's easy to reach by email and phone, all contact info is on the website.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

3. EGO_MACHINE

EGO_MACHINE Member

Thank you Dana.

I bought this amp from your friend Riffmaster.

40 watt version head and 2 x 12 cab.

Awsome amp. The best I've ever played.

I have e-mailed Mr. Bartel this morning.

Your description of how the power tubes are layed out is what I was looking for.

Thank you,

Dave

4. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I used to own a Meteor II and I have used the Mesa Tubes in it for months with no problems.

Mark Bartel originally designed the circuit with the EH6V6GT tubes in mind. When I was in his shop back in February (he was doing a repair job on the chassis mounting screws for me... they were damaged in shipping when I bought the amp) he mentioned that he was thinking about shifting over to the Tung Sol RIs, he liked them alot.

My amp was, at the time fitted with Sovteks and he mentioned that he liked those as well. The Mesa tubes are just re-labeled Sovteks that have been through Mesa's testing phase for durability and microphonics.

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Dave -

I love the "Mr. Bartel" - Mark's the kind of guy where if he heard "Mr. Bartel", he'd be looking over his shoulder trying to see if his Dad was there. (GRIN)

I love my M II - great amp, solved virtually all my smal and mid-size room probs. Mark's a gem too - EXCELLENT customer service. Have fun with your M II.

Congrats, Dana O.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Ah, Fretmaster sold his amp. Might be a record for him (longest time with one amp). ;)

Ego Machine, as has already been mentioned, your Mesa tubes will work fine, just be sure to set the bias after you install them.

I love my Meteor II too........or is that Meteor tutu? :D

7. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Nope.... my Meteor II head / 2x12 setup is still happily in my possession with no plans for a departure in the foreseeable future. Love that amp. Killer tone, killer feel, amazing tonal range, excellent quality and as mentioned above Mark's excellent on customer service. I am thinking of throwing a pair of Celestion Golds in her soon just for kick. May be a match made in heaven! ;)

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Haven't seen you here in a while.

Good to hear that you're still digging the Meteor. :band