Metric Halo: Mobile I/O Expanded/new 2d Card!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Orren, May 27, 2008.

1. Orren

Orren Member

Hi Guys,

Many of you know I use a Mobile I/O interface. Well, Metric Halo interfaces just got an amazing upgrade. For those without one, they are now selling the 2882 Expanded and ULN2 Expanded. Current Metric Halo Mobile I/O owners can add a 2d Card to their current interface for all the goodies. Better clock,
    better ADAT, lower latency, completely redesigned mixer, new +DSP effects, etc

Really, if you're a Mac user, this is as good as it gets for the price, IMO.

http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/

Orren

2. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Oh, thanks for the GAS Orren!! I have a ULN-2 without DSP, what a great unit! I honestly can't tell if I need this upgrade though.

3. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

Yeah, it's about time too. Trying to figure out what to do, I have the 2882+DSP and a ULN-2.

Wondering if the original 2882+DSP chip can be put into the ULN-2, guess we'll hear something about that sooner than later.

4. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I called them today as the website wasn't real clear to me. I just asked about a few things that you may find interest in.

Basic upgrade includes some PSP stuff - Mixer, Haloverb, Miostrip, Dither, Short Delay, MS Decoder, and the Character module (the one I was hoping for).

10 to 14 business day turn around time. Clocking is improved significantly according to the tech, and to add the +PSP stuff it's another $699.

Steve

5. jzilla

jzilla Member

interesting. did you get the upgrade? how's the latency now?

6. Orren

Orren Member

Just to clarify:

You mean DSP which stands for Digital Signal Processing. You don't mean PSP which specifically relates to software developed by a Polish company named PSP Audioware. Metric Halo and PSP Audioware are not affiliated in anyway. The new algorithms are all developed by Metric Halo, none of them by PSP Audioware.

And you left out the amplifier and distortion models, too. Some of the distortion pedals are excellent, the new amps aren't going to replace your hardware amp or favorite modeler, but considering there is no latency on the built-in DSP, they're great for monitoring through when you want a direct signal for later processing.

Orren

7. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Yep typo. From what I understood on the phone, unless you upgrade to the +DSP option (additional $699), the plugs I listed are the ones you get with the basic upgrade. Oh, and here's the link I couldn't seem to find http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/#this. I'm just happy that they are throwing in any with this upgrade.

8. Orren

Orren Member

This is my "real world" latency test of the new 2d expansion card using Logic Pro 8 with audio buffers of 64 samples. The "round trip" (meaning, time it takes audio to go through your mic/guitar, through the MIO, through Logic, and back out through the MIO to your speakers) latency is about 264 samples, which at 44.1kHz is about 5.9ms. At 88.2kHz it's about 2.9ms.

The MH website in the first post gives smaller numbers at a buffer of 32 samples, but I find that 32 samples is too little when I have a song loaded with Audio Unit plug ins.

If you are not talking about round trip latency, but only one way latency playing software synthesizers, you can cut those number in half.

Personally, I find that anything under 9ms feels good enough for live performance, so I am happy with a buffer of 128 at sample rates of 88.2kHz (latency of 4.4ms) or even 48kHz (8.1ms).

Orren

9. Orren

Orren Member

You understood correctly. :) Just to explain to others not familiar with the MIO system:

Previously, there were two versions of each MIO interface available: a non-DSP version, and a "+DSP" version. The Mobile I/O + DSP offers a lot of DSP-based processes, such as EQs, Delays, Compressors, and so on. The non-DSP does not.

When you buy a 2d card, you automatically get all the cool stuff that Da5ID mentions in his post, but not the other DSP processes—you need to upgrade to a +DSP license to get the additional EQs, Delays, Compressors, etc.

Stratocat: I don't think that they'd swap the extra DSP chip from one box to another for free—the chip itself isn't the main issue, it's the labor. That said, Metric Halo goes out of their way to take care of their customers, so I'd give them a call, tell them what you've got and what you'd like, and they might just cut you a break of some kind. They're very good like that, just like a boutique amp or guitar company. :)

10. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

OK, so I just placed an order for a factory install of a 2D card in my ULN-2! I could have installed it myself but figured I might as well have them give the gear a full checkup since I've had it for around 5 years now.

Woot!

11. Orren

Orren Member

Very smart move! When you get the 2d card installed at the factory, they warranty it, which doesn't happen if you do it yourself. And if you watched the video, it's pretty tricky, especially for a ULN2, which needs a new backplate thanks to the added ADAT ports.

It's an especially sweet upgrade for the ULN2 considering it adds 8 digital I/O, it's like all the extra features, plus another interface as well!

Orren