Metro 2203 master; cascade or PPIMV?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JDW3, Feb 14, 2012.

1. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I have a 2203 Metro build up and running. I'm doing some tweaks and trying brown up the sound, basically. The Friedman Marshall style amp overdrive is the direction I'm going tonally. Nothing over the top, though.

I'm wondering if struggling to get those tones with a cascaded preamp is the wrong idea? Maybe those tones are easier achieved with a PPIMV?

The couple mods I've done are leading me back to the grainyness I remember from my 2204. I want smoother and responsive high gain; I really don't care if it sounds like a JCM 800.

I could easily rip out the existing master and do the PPIMV.

Thought from guys who have used both?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

The existing master does more gain than the PPIMV.Leave it.
    Add a .68uf cap on the cathode of V2 that goes to the 820 ohm resistor on the board.That will bump up the gain to where you want it.

3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

The phase splitter has a lot of gain, so if you have an MV after it, as per a Lar-Mar, then that can get utilised for overdrive. Additionally, they tend to overdrive quite smoothly.
    But the presence control become ineffective, and the other tone controls won't seem to work the same; they'll affect the distortion 'flavour', rather than sculpturing the distorted tone, because overdrive will be occuring after them. That scooped mid thing probably won't be possible.
    So it will become a different amp, possibly less flexible, but if it makes the tone you want then that's an acceptable cost.
    Pete.

4. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I suppose at this point I'll take the cascade style to it's limits. I'd rather not lose control from the tone knobs.

Can you use an effects loop with a PPIMV?

5. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Yes but you lose the benefit, due to overdrive occuring after the loop. Plus unless there's separate send/return level controls, the fx unit/s may get overdriven too!
    Pete.