Metro Jtm45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Roe, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Roe

Roe Member

does anyone of you have any experience with this amp?
    It's a clone of a old marshall. the parts, except the output tranny, is comparable to other clones like germino. This one has zoso caps.

I just bought a metro 45 from a board member for 840 dollars. It's being sent to george at metroamp - he's gonna change install his new heyboer radiospares deluxe output transformer and remove the master volume (rich mod).

2. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

I have a Metro JTM45 that I built from the kit. The parts quality is absolutely top notch and the amp is a spot on reproduction of the original, down to the last detail. George's trannies are amongst the best available today. If you got one of these amps for $840, count yourself lucky. I consider my JTM45 one of the two or three best amps I've ever played. Also, George Metropoulous is a true gentleman and one of the nicest guys in the business.

(No, I don't own stock in the company. Just a satisfied customer.)

3. Roe

Roe Member

mojohand, thanks for the reply.
    how is the bass - is it loose or flabby?
    I tried an original 1961 combo - it sounded good, but a bit to loose and flabby in the bass department.

4. Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker Member

Metro Boards are excellent drop in replacements in any vintage reissue type Marshall. Once you put some decent parts in these amps, they really sound good. Consider yourself lucky for getting one at a very good price.

5. Roe

Roe Member

yes, it was a very good price!
    simular amps sell for 14-1600 used and 2000 new

6. MojoHand

The metroamp JTM45 is absolutely true to the original and therefore, yes, the bass can get a little loose. If you find the original unacceptable then you'll feel the same about the Metro. But the amp can be tweaked. Talk to George. As long as he's got your amp on the bench, he can apply some mods to tighten the bass. :AOK

7. Roe

Roe Member

I guess some originals are very flabby, others not.

8. gnugear

gnugear Member

Just raise the filtering a little :)

George rules.

9. Roe

Roe Member

or use a bigger choke

10. MojoHand

I wouldn't touch the choke. There are less drastic things you can do. Remember that the JTM45 is a direct copy of the '59 Fender Bassman... which was intended to be a BASS amp, after all. Leo put a 250uf bypass cap on the first gain stage cathodes in order to pass as much bass frequency as possible. This is an absurd value for a guitar amp and Marshall should've changed it. But, like most of us "cloners," Marshall simply copied what the master did and, as a result, Marshall amps had this ridiculous 250uf - 330uf cap on their amps for years. So, try reducing this cap to something in the 1uf - 5uf range. This mod in itself is usually sufficient to fix the bass response for most players. Regarding the power supply filtering: check the 16x16uf cap inside the chassis. If only one positive terminal is connected, try jumping both positive terminals. This will increase the filtering and tighten the bass. Some people like it that way and some people don't. Also consider different speakers/enclosures and, oh yes, make sure your Bass control is set between 0 and 2. This is the way everyone sets it and it sounds great. Anything higher is just asking for trouble.

The usual disclaimers apply: If you don't understand this stuff DON'T mess with it. You could kill yourself.

11. Roe

Roe Member

mojohand, sounds like a good tip. this is excactly what I've heard at the metroforum.
    George at metro will go over the amp for me.

12. Roe

Roe Member

the amps sound good! :D it has the new heyboer radiospares deluxe prototype output transformer. pretty tight bass for a jtm45 too.

13. Roe

Roe Member

with G12h-55hz it really sounds like a small malcolm young. the H 55hz doesn't just work well with a strat - it sounds killer with a solidbody gretsch with filtertrons. also good with a esq/tele.

unlike some jtm45s, this doesn't sound mushy. even the neck pup on a les paul is very useable.

14. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Is there any other kind? (He's near Ewok....):AOK

15. Roe

Roe Member

the metro jtm45 really sounds impressive. like a really good jtm45 - very dynamic and blues, but without the flabby bass. kills with a les paul or a 6131 gretsch