Metro or Germino - how did you choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tim Plains, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Not asking which one is best.

I'm buying one later this year. Most likely a JTM combo but I might go big and get a head/4x12. That's an entirely seperate thread. :rotflmao

I'm just curious, if you bought one or the other, how did you decide which builder to go with?

2. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Staff Member

Haven't bought both, but have played both. I ended up building my own from a metro kit.
    At this point, I think George is mostly just doing the metro-plex, but check with him. It may not be a hard decision if you want a 4 hole vintage style and George is too backed up with the MP.

That said, it's pretty equal. Both guys build AMAZING amps, both guys are top notch guys with top notch customer service.

George's replica's are true to form, warts and all. Greg's done a minor bit of tweaking to eliminate the most egregious warts on the vintage stuff.

That said, there's no wrong answer. I'd be completely satisfied with either one depending on what I was ordering.

Rod, Crash-VR and lespaulnmarshall like this.
  3. neteraser

neteraser Member

D'oh, vintage "warts" are GOLDEN! YMMV.

4. big mike

Depends on the wart.

Tubes and Strings likes this.
  5. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

I do find the vibe or 'take' is a little different and can be hard to explain between the two...

They are both very vintage and 'authentic'...

I find greg's stuff to be a little on the punchier, crisper side of things (i should note, ive never played his bass circuits so only comparing leads)...a little bit sort of a dirty clean with a lot of articulation

I find george's to have a little more sweetness and/or overtones to it - its a little more broken-in to me and has a certain warmth and blend to the sound.

Its more than a 'gain' level thing and more feel, repsonse, and voicing for me

6. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Supporting Member

For me it came down to having the vintage tone with modern features. The metroplex was my ultimate choice and I'm really glad I made it.

Metroplex Features

3 modes 66', 68 and Modded
    boost
    Loop
    Master Volume (best I've used on an amp)
    Variac Switch
    100/50 operation
    EQ that works really well

It is just a killer amp, have sold off almost all my drive pedals. Check out the metroplex thread....its loaded with great information. I also hear great things about Germino. You can't go wrong with either.

mrwhipple likes this.
  7. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

I ended up with a Germino Monterey versus the Metro JTM45/100 version(s) mainly because there were more clips, more general information and more customer feedback available on Germino at the time. It has been one of the most magical amps I've ever owned and Greg is an absolute sweetheart of a guy!

DiPa and big mike like this.
  8. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

The MP is awesome....

But that is not an apples to apples comparison to a germino...george's other builds, yes, but not an MP

9. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I ended up with a Germino (Club 40) because it was easier to find a used one than a Metropolis. The Germino is a smokin amp!

10. mikebat

mikebat Member

Btw, Destroy All Guitars seems to have a special running on some remaining stock of Metro reproduction amps.

No affiliation

Tim Plains likes this.
  11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Cheers guys. I appreciate the replies but ended up answering my own question. How do you decide? Price. Mikebat here cost me a lot of money. Bloody Gear Page. :rotflmao

I bought the Metro 10,000 they had on sale and should have it next week. I don't have a cab at the moment but plan on buying a used Marshall to hold me over until my gear fund replenishes enough to buy a Metro cab.

mikebat and Dave_C like this.
  12. 71strat

71strat Member

The way I decided on my Metro GMP45 was that it is based on the Drake Transformers, vs the Radiospares for Germino.

Dave_C likes this.
  13. big mike

As is greg. If I had the dough, I'd own a metroplex and a 45/100 from George, a Headroom and a Fillmore from Greg.

Dave_C and 71strat like this.
  14. big mike

That can't be overstated. There's a big difference.

71strat likes this.
  15. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

I am enjoying reading people's replies in this thread. Even though the OP found a great amp I am hoping that the posts will keep on coming.

It's great hearing about the subtle "sound flavor" variations of these these awesome amps by these two master builders in particular.

16. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

Can you describe some of the sonic difference between these two amps / transformers ( Metro GMP45 / Germino Classic 45 ) ?

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

18. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I started with trying to acquire a 10,000 and/or 12,000 from George, I had not dealt or heard much of Germino at that time, and George was in the ramp up stage of his MP and could not build me something in the time frame. So I started to look around and found Germino, and never looked back since.

19. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

An amp from either builder is a win. You really can't go wrong here. Choose a style and buy it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    big mike, DiPa and Dave_C like this.
  20. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Me too, on all of the above, except the 45/100, but only because I already have one!