Metro-Plex News: At least one has arrived...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cpa2guitar, Feb 14, 2015.

1. cpa2guitar

cpa2guitar Member

Saw the following post on the Metropoulos Amp Facebook page (first posted yesterday morning, repost is from today):

"Metro-Plex #001 has arrived at its destination and seems to be in good hands! Thanks Chuck!
    *Repost: Chuck Archer
    Today at 9:55am
    "WOW is all I can say. The Metro-Plex is the REAL DEAL. Tone and feel and more tone and more feel. Love it. Thanks George and Cliff!"
    "

So, has anyone else received their Metro-Plex? Talked to Cliff a week or so ago and learned the one I ordered will be in the second batch, which means it will likely be late this month when I receive it. While I'm waiting... would love to hear some detailed reports from those lucky enough to be receiving theirs from Batch 1.

So... any reports? Is Mr. Archer a TGP member, and if so, how about a report?

Kirk

2. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

Thats the only one delivered so far. I finished building #002 yesterday. It's burning in over the weekend and will ship early in the week.
    Production is just one per week right now. I have just one helper left in my shop and I am taking time to train him and make sure all the work is up to my standards. This is an expensive amp and has to be World class in every way. Which takes time.
    But no worries, we will get up to speed.

I'll continue posting the shipping updates on our FB page.

George

3. cpa2guitar

cpa2guitar Member

Thanks for the update, sir. Sure, I'm anxiously awaiting this amp (can practically hear Carly Simon singing Anticipation in my mind's ear...lol), but I respect your dedication to quality assurance. By the way, since I believe I saw a negative post about your delay in shipping these, as someone who has given Cliff a deposit, I want to state that I respected your decision to delay production over changing to a three-button footswitch. It's not easy for a small business, or any business for that matter, to prioritize quality over cash flow, but these are the kind of things that give me confidence in my purchase decision, even though I have not purchased one of your amps before.

Can't wait to plug into the Metro-Plex and fire her up.

Kirk

4. DM426

DM426 Member

I believe mine is in the second batch as well. Looking forward to trying out George's latest creation.

And what can you say about Cliff. Cliff is the man.

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

This amp looks pretty much perfect.

6. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

Kirk,

You are getting another Plexi type? I thought volume was an issue for you? Nothing like big iron! Congrats on the new amp order!

7. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

The Metro Plex is supposed to solve the volume issue.

8. arcguitaro

arcguitaro Member

It is. #001 certainly is the REAL DEAL. With my R9, it's the perfect match. Gain on 5, Boost Gain on 8. Freaking perfect. My only complaint? I can't crank it up louder where I live. I'm playing the Metro-Plex through a 2x12 Scumback cab with M75s and it just sounds killer at any volume. I play and play and don't worry about tone and feel, it's just there, all the time. I play Plexi mode and modded mod about 50/50 and both modes are just overflowing with tone, I love both of them equally. Love the versatility I have where I can switch in and out of the loop. No latency switching between normal and boost mode or Plexi and mod mode, it's just seamless and instant. Sweeeeeeeeet!

George knocked it out of the park. Enjoy your amps when they arrive.

9. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

I'm really glad you love the amp! And thanks for all the feedback.

One thing that came up in discussion is the idea that there was clipping in the FET boost circuit. Like a typical pedal circuit. Actually, there is no clipping at all in the boost circuit. It just increases the guitar signal hitting the first tube gain stage. Any extra "gain" AKA clipping is happening in the tube stages.

This boost circuit uses the same high voltage FET as our Zero Loss FX loop. In the loop circuit this unique FET allows full signal to pass from tone stack to phase inverter. Up to 90V P-P signal. Hense, the "zero loss" moniker.
    By comparison, a typical chip based loop passes up to about 15V P-P max.

The catalyst for the boost circuit was a sim Steve Miller did in LTSpice emulating a typical Marshall input tube stage. His analysis led to a FET based circuit that behaves like a tube input stage.
    Steve offered this to me and I tried it. Very, very cool. But, not exactly what was needed for the boost in this amp. So I tweaked it quite a bit and added a high cut and low cut EQ.
    Steve's original circuit was capable of about 40db of gain, far more than necessary or useable. I lowered that to 22db and this helped optimize signal to noise ratio.

Hope that helps clear up and misconceptions about what this boost circuit does. And also gives all due props to Steve for his great design work and generous sharing off all things technical. I've learned a lot from him over the years.

george

10. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

I guess Steve Miller is a joker, a toker, and an amp designer!?

11. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Pedal designer. Lizard Leg Effects.

edited to add: wrong Steve Miller...also.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  12. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

Steve lives near Detroit and is a EE. He goes by SDM on most forums. Amp designer and all around brainiac. Unfortunately, some health issues prevent him from being more active on amp stuff.

george