Metroamp Kit - Merry Xmas to Me!!! Help me choose which one!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axeplyr, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Hmmm... which one should I get???

Thinking either the 50w or 100w Superlead kit, only $25 difference between them! Decisions, decisions.

Opinions? Experience? Please chime in!

:JAM

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Well, I think Superlead 100s are the most useless boat anchors out there. I'd vote for the 50wt.

3. Axeplyr

May be boat anchors, but can't they do something unachievable by amps with lower wattage (ie bass response, "bigness")? And the kit will come with a ppmv. And, can't I pull two tubes and run it at 50w? And I own a couple unused Hotplates.

So I have alot of options for knocking down the volume

Ultimately, I'm looking for a toy/mod platform, something I can experiment with. That said, maybe 100w is too much.

However, this one issue placed aside, does anyone have experience with a few of the Metroamp options, and maybe has a preference?

I'm really looking for a warm, fat, singing tone with alot of crunch - somthing that might bridge the tone between Angus and Malcolm, and maybe cop Kossoff / Page -type tones. Not really looking for more gain than that.

I own a Jcm800 2204, and though I love it, I prefer nmv tone slightly more.

4. skoora

skoora Member

The 100 watter will have a little more oomph in the low end, maybe. Generically 100 watters give it up later in the volume sweep and have a little more bigness, but many times it's been the opposite depending on circuit tweaks and just the amps themselves. I have a '69 100 watt Metro that I built and I've been nothing but thrilled with it since I put it together. Almost a year ago now. Once you get into the build you'll probably learn enough about the circuit to make a 50 sound like a 100 and vice versa. IIRC, a main difference is that 100 watters tend to have more B+ voltage than 50 watters so have a faster attack and tighter response. But as I said before I've played 50's that are very tight and just rip. Go with your gut, either one will sound awesome. I wish they had instructions for the JTM45/100 amp. That's the one i want to build next.

5. Axeplyr

Thanks Skoora, exactly the advice I needed!

I'm with you, the Jtm45/100 would be fantastic.

I have a bit of experience with 50 watters - in addition to the Jcm800 2204, I own a Marshall 1987x 50w Plexi ri - infact I sold it when I got the JCM.

I'm actually leaning towards the 100, maybe too much of a good thing is better than too little! I understand that George's 100w power transformers come with an 80% tap, allowing 490v or ~410v, and with a little creativity you can run three voltages with a toggle - 490, 455, and 410.

This is going to be fun! :crazyguy

6. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

100 watt

jtm45/100 or Super Bass

Done

Too loud? Get an attenuator.

7. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

This is a pretty outta whack comment. The difference between a 50w and 100W are remarkable and I mean tonally. The volume difference is a few db (like 2 or 3). The 50watt EL34 SuperLead amps are a bit more gainy when dimed. The 100 watt amp is less so and will deliver a good bit fuller spectrum and assuredly more bass.

Get the 100watt for sure and a AC booster or Rangemaster. You'll nail some sick EJ tones. The 50 watt will give you more of a Michael Schenker tone...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Get that '67 that's on the emporium right now. that's a sick rig and well priced.

8. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

:agree Anything that George built is going to ROCK!

9. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Your right it was off the wall or "out of whack". I just find the 100watters to have too much clean headroom. I guess if you can open it up with a 4x12 (or two) it would be different. A 50wt with a 2x12 seems much more useful.

10. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

In general, I prefer the sound of a 50 watt.

I'd be tempted to do a bass spec.

11. Axeplyr

This is going to be harder than I thought. :confused:

All of the Metro options sound great.

I've had this JCM-800 for a few years now. It sounds great - does a great classic rock tone, but my biggest complaints are lack of clean headroom, so-so clean tone, and slight lack of karrang that a great nmv amp has. I played a 50w 1987 amp at GC the other day (mid 70's, apparently modded), and boy what a sweet tone. Just a bit more presend and alive than the JCM-800. So maybe I just need a 1986 or 1987 circuit. Or maybe just a new cab with greenback-style speakers!?! :huh

It just seemed to me that a 100-watter seems to get a slightly better wrap than the 50's. Not necessarily true I guess.

12. Axeplyr

I didn't find this. Got a link? :love:

(I have a ~$1k limit)

13. amp boy

amp boy Member

it's outta yer price range at 1800 ish i believe.

14. Axeplyr

Yep, just found it - '67 spec Metro Plexi for $1700.

That's why I'm thinking a kit. And, since I have amp-building experience, I have the skills and skooling needed! :banana