Metrolink Train collides with Semi stuck on track

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Anthony Gring, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

5:45 am today at Rice and Fifth St intersection in Oxnard. Thank God no fatalities but 4 out of 29 people injured are in critical condition. Driver of produce truck turned right at intersection - onto train tracks , not street, and got stuck. Then he bails. Police found him about a mile from the scene " disoriented and upset " Apparently he is now in custody. Multiple train / vehicle incidents at this intersection over past years. Thoughts and prayers to victims and their families.

2. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

Definitely a bad situation. Obviously something seriously wrong with that intersection.

I take the train to work everyday. They often have the engine at the back, pushing the rest of the train. I'm not getting into the passenger car at the front anymore.

3. Anthony Gring

Apparently now the front passenger cars have impact absorbing crumple technology. Also beefed up steel structure . That said, the train still derailed and cars were on their sides. Train was traveling at 79 MPH at time of impact. No seat belts on trains AFIK. Major blunt force trauma injuries to many passengers.

4. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

The driver saw the train coming and got out of the truck. He was found 45 minutes later a mile and a half away. Said he was, "Looking for help."

I guess all the people stopped there with phones didn't enter his mind.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

These commuter trains must be lighter than freight trains. You see videos of trains disintegrating semi's.

6. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

There's a big difference between the engine and a passenger car.

I think if a commuter train with an engine at the front hit a truck, the truck would get demolished.

But they sometimes run commuter trains with the engine at the back, so they don't have to turn the train around or disconnect the engine to move it to the other end. Then the front car is a passenger car.

Those passenger cars are basically like tin cans on wheels. They don't have nearly the amount of mass that an engine has.

7. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

A commuter train is about 800-1500 tons. A freight trains average around 7,000 tons.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think the carrier needs to change its procedures and always have the Locomotive in the front of the cars. Always.

Now, about this moron who ran his truck onto tracks and fled: I want a felony conviction and ten years' penitentiary time. I don't care if Afroman goes scot free; this truck driver needs to be nailed to the wall. He's exposed a soft spot and there's a virtual certainty some radical is going to see this and use this means to hurt or kill innocent people.

9. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

There's not anyplace to turn the locomotives and are built in a way that the engineer cannot see backwards.

Running passenger trains with a cab car leading is a fairly common practice throughout the US and the world.

10. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

That intersection is a known hazard and they should build that train overpass they've been debating about for the last 20 years. Fortunately, a close friend of mine decided to drive to work yesterday or he would have been on that train. The same guy also drove to work that fateful day in 2008 when the train he would have been on was hit head on by a freight train in Chatsworth. When I talked to him yesterday, I told him to go buy a lottery ticket...he's one lucky dude.

11. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

A friend of mine was on the Chatsworth train. He had a broken leg and concussion.

12. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

How does the engineer see when the engine is in the rear?

They must have a camera or something on the front car. Can't they put it on the back of the engine and put the engine up front?

I can't tell if you could hook a line of cars onto the front of the engine (so that the engine is pulling the train backwards), but is there some reason they couldn't make it so?

13. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

The last car (or front car when running backwards) has a remote control that allows the engineer to run the train from the rear. The signals to control the engine are sent from the control via cables, the brakes are applied from the car.

This is usually called a cab car.

[​IMG]

That's a picture of a cab car in Chicago. The engineer would sit up in the top and operate the train.

14. BJW

BJW Member

Truck was a Ford F-450 pick-up pulling a utility trailer, not a semi tractor-trailer. Crazy to think of the carnage it caused. Thank God nobody was killed. And yes the driver needs to be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.

15. Anthony Gring

First news I heard was it was a semi used to haul produce. Thanks for clarifying. The driver was from Arizona and "unfamiliar with the area". Yikes......

16. Anthony Gring

According to reports I heard yesterday, following the Chatsworth crash, the cars they place in front have now been substantially beefed up with heavy steel and crumple technology. Not sure how that works but they said these new cars helped avoid fatalities in this accident. Dang Petey, your friend is one lucky dude! That's nuts!

17. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

[​IMG]

Judging by the debris, it appears the trailer or truck became wedged between the train and the gate at the crossing. If you look at the top of the picture you can see something still sitting up against the lights.

That being said, there is a video on the leading car so there will be no doubt as to what happened. (Many trains now have this feature)