Metronome question

outlawten5

I'm using the TempoPerfect metronome I downloaded for free. If the measure reads 4 and the subdivisions read 4 am I playing 16th notes for every click? Or 8th notes?

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I'm using the TempoPerfect metronome I downloaded for free. If the measure reads 4 and the subdivisions read 4 am I playing 16th notes for every click? Or 8th notes?
Yes, but the 'measure' setting could be set on '0' and you'd still be hearing 16th notes. Yes, you can set to any tempo.

outlawten5

So for reference... When someone says they practice a scale at 100 bpm, do most people actually mean they are playing the scale as 8th notes or 16ths. As an example I always have it set to 16ths and can do most 3 note per string scales at 85bpm. But each note is actually a 16th

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Let's forget about 'most people'. Musicians use the metronome for control and evenness... probably less for speed. Thus:
1. pick a tempo, say 85
2. you should be able to play whole notes, half-notes, 8ths, 8th triplets, sixteenth note and perhaps finer subdivision.
As far as the metronome goes you are certainly good to put subdivision on '4' for sixteenth but then put it on zero...and play the 16th without having to hear them from the metronome.
Nice app!

JonR

So for reference... When someone says they practice a scale at 100 bpm, do most people actually mean they are playing the scale as 8th notes or 16ths.
If they don't say, who knows? I'd guess the most common way of playing scales is in 8ths. But if anyone is making a claim about speed (notes per second), they obviously need to specify.

Speed, of course, is not important. If you can play 16ths at 85 bpm, that's reasonably fast (IMO - but insanely slow for a shredder!), but what matters is cleanness and evenness of articulation: every note clear, dynamically even, and legato (and I don't mean using hammer-ons and pull-offs, I mean all picked but with no gaps between the notes).
Don't practice for speed - practice for precision and control; and use the metronome to practice your time-keeping, not your speed. That will mean you eventually slow the metronome down to make it harder, not speed it up.
The more you play, the faster you'll get anyway, without trying. (I mean the more flexible your hands will get, so they are capable of speed when you need it.)

Trending Topics