1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Metronome recommendations?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Jo, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes... :)

I'm looking for a decent metronome which doesn't have an annoying sound. I've had a couple of the cheap digital ones, but the peep, peep, peep noise was so horrible and overly loud that I used to have to put it under a pillow to play with. I've since given them away younger family members who are starting on guitar.

I don't want a drum machine, as I don't want to have to faff about with speakers etc, so what's a good metronome that has a pretty nice tick tock sound as well as being pretty portable.

2. Neil

Neil Member

Korg do a very small unit that fits in your ear. It has a useful range of time signatures and it emphasises the first beat of the bar (useful imho).

Sound is electronic but not the usual annoying sound.

Worth a try.

3. Mark C

Mark C Member

Try taking a piece of kleenex, wadding it up a bit and taping it with scotch tape over the small hole the sound comes out of.

4. Jo

Too late... I don't have a metronome anymore. :)

What about one of those pendulum type ones? Do they sound any more pleasant?

5. Mark C

Mark C Member

Not by much, and I've found that they aren't as reliable as the quartz metronomes.

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Whatever happened to the old fashioned Franz ones. I have had mine for over 20 years, they used to have a wood box option, it has a nice woody "clock" sound to it.

Steve..

7. Mr.Hanky

This is the one I am talking about, they last forever.

[​IMG]

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

I'd get the Franz plastic or wood model like Mr Hanky posted before getting the pendulum type. The pendulum models aren't very durable. I've had my Franz since '78 and it still works great.

9. Jo

I was eyeing up some Franz ones on eBay just today... the only thing that put me off is that they're electric, and it's just another thing to plug in.

It's a strong contender though, I just may go for one.

10. Mr.Hanky

Get the electric ones, like I said they last forever.

And you can calibrate them, I have had mine apart once or twice over the years, it was pretty easy to figure out.

I don't think they make that style anymore, which is a shame, they are the Les Paul of metronomes.

11. TonyV

TonyV Member

I have a Boss Dr Beat DB88 ( they have other DB models)
    http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Boss-Metronomes--2966

It has a choice of a two tick-tock tones or an annoying Japanese women's voice yelling 1-2-3-4

Same as you I find beeps annoying, the neutral tick-tock is nicer, it was the main reason I bought the DB88, I could not find another electronic metronome with one. The DB88 won't fit in your pocket but it is reasonably small.

You can set an accent for beat 1 and set different rythmn feels.
    I find the tap tempo funcationality very useful.

12. Kappy

Kappy Member

I've had Franz ones over the years, they're great. I have to send my quartz one in to them for repair, which I did with an old plug in model that I had of theirs and it took like 6 mos. to get it back. They offer a few extra time signatures, but are usually limited up to about 5/4 or so (maybe 7)

I use the DB-88 now and I like it quite a lot. I think you can go up to 13/8 or maybe even 17/8 time on this one. It's a total rip off price wise, but I don't think you'll ever need another metronome again.

P.S. There are a couple of free or GPL'ed metronomes for your PC too, so you can probably find one of those and just download it for free. If your PC/laptop isn't too far from your practice area, it's not a bad option either, esp. considering it's free. My favorite is one for Linux (and maybe MacOS) called "gtick" that's quick and dirty, any time sig you want and has good sounds to it. There are tons for Windows too, I just don't remember their names that well. There's even a polyrhythmic metronome that's avail. for Windows but I couldn't get it to work too easy and haven't had the time to figure it out.

13. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

;) I guess Ms. Remler's video is making a big impact!!!

I had an electronic (but not digital) one but the sound was "clackish..." and drove me nuts.

I know they make "drummer's headset" that have an adjustable click track. I tried one at the music store as a means to maintain proper timing when reading long voice overs.....

14. Kappy

Kappy Member

?

15. Mr.Hanky

Hey that's nothin, my Franz will not only yell at you in a thick German accent but will also hold a .45 to your head and scream "Schneller!!....Schneller!!.."

16. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I just sent Jo a copy of (the out-of-print) Video by Emeley Remler in which she talks about the importance of a metronone...... And how to "swing" by counting 2 & 4 instead of 1 & 3.....

I think Jo has a new hero in Emily!:D

17. Jo

Hey it's not often you get a female guitarist to look up to :) (move over Nancy Wilson) ... I've always loved Emily it's just nice to see her do her stuff and to get my own private lesson.

BTW James, I found a website that's selling the advanced video. I'm probably going to buy it.. I'll send it to you so you can DVD it out for us. :dude

BTW, there's www.metronomeonline.com which is pretty good if you have your pc around with you. But I want something portable, but also with a pleasant sound instead of that aggravating beep on those cheapie Quik Tune ones.

18. lore61

lore61 Guest

What about using a Metronome CD with an old boombox?
    Or with a CD player connected to the amp?

I was looking at the Cowbell metronome CDs at http://neverenoughcowbells.com/

:dude

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I just bought my daughter one at Chuck's (WMC) a couple of weeks ago. I believe it was an Ibanez but the important thing is it gives you a choice of beep and light or light alone. You must have something in common with Yael, she hates the beeps too and insisted on this feature. $29.95.

P.S. On the quartz versus digital issue, come on, you're not tuning strings here - if accuracy to the hundreth or even tenth of a second is truly critical to you, all I can say is, you're functioning way beyond my level. :)

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Also check out Shery Bailey

www.sherylbailey.com