1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Metropoulos Metroplex owners - your thoughts so far?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DM426, Apr 25, 2015.

1. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Gigged mine last night. Most of my playing is done on Modded mode and I’ll hit the boost for soloing mainly just to get some volume. I think I had my gain at 11 o clock. I really don’t know because I just set the controls, moved the mic where I needed it and just played. My effects were minimal. A wah, a deja vibe and my el Capistan. I dropped into 66 mode where I needed a cleaner part but honesty, most of my tone changes were done via my volume pot and the amp responded wonderfully. Had a few people compliment the guitar sound quite a bit. Solo boost function definitely came in handy.

2. gman1951

gman1951 Supporting Member

Before I got mine, I was a bit concerned that there wouldn't be enough gain for me. Now, having had it a while and played it under different conditions (home, rehearsals, gigs), I could Never imagine needing more than this amp has to offer. As I said, I had both levels at 12:00, and it gave me more gain than I'll ever use. The tone was just so harmonically full, fat, and focused (with just the right amount of "sag") and so responsive to picking dynamics; often, I'd just hit a note and let the sustain carry it into harmonic overtones, Mmm, mmm, delicious!

Yeah, I also played much of the night without any effects whatsoever. The tone is just so satisfying that it really doesn't need much enhancement. I use a Nova system for the delay, reverb, and occasional chorus. I've always been a "plug straight into the amp" guy and this amp gives me so much of what I'm looking for, tonewise! Anyone who uses gain/overdrive pedals with this beautiful beast is seriously doing it a disservice!

Thanks, George! I'm in Dog Heaven!

mrwhipple and velvetgeorge like this.
  3. mrwhipple

mrwhipple Supporting Member

greatmutah - The DejaVibe does sound crazy good straight through the Metroplex. Trower heaven right there.

gman1951 and greatmutah like this.
  4. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

MrWhipple - Yeah that pedal is killer. I use it on a tune of ours that has some tempo changes. Verses are slower and allow for more texturing in the guitar. Chorus is hard hitting and raunchy. I use the DejaVibe during the verses and it’s wonderful.

Gman - I could probably use just 68 mode but I love the saturation of the Modded mode and also the low mids that come through in that mode too. But yeah I set my gain at about 4 and I have no need to go higher than that. There’s a ton of gain on tap in this amp though, you’re absolutely right on that. I used two guitars last night. Half of our songs are in standard and half are in drop D. On the standard songs I used my R7. On the drop D tunes I used my Sheraton with 57 classics. I got some killer feedback out of that guitar to boot.

gman1951 and mrwhipple like this.
  5. mrwhipple

Coming up on 2 years with my Metroplex and it still makes me smile every time I plug in. Juicy tones.

6. gman1951

:aok Think I'll join ya!

mrwhipple likes this.
  7. gman1951

Riiightt!! The even harmonic overtones just sing right into the most awesome feedback! It's just such an incredibly musical sounding amp in every way, on every setting! I do have to say that I'm still discovering the capabilities of this beautiful beast! I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the '66/'68 settings which means I have a whole other amp to explore with the Mod setting!! :drool

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  8. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

It’s still my benchmark for any amp coming into my small collection.
    Yup, the MP has sent many others a packin’.
    Jonesing hard for a SuperPlex.
    I’ve played that amp twice now and it’s just amazing.

gman1951, kennedy5150 and mrwhipple like this.
  9. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I pretty much stick with the 66/68 setting. I'll add some gain along with the boost for solos. Sometimes with a Strat I'll smack the front end with a Boss SD-1, but no need for a pedal with a Les Paul for the sounds I'm looking for.

Bluesman79 and gman1951 like this.
  10. gman1951

I'm waiting on the 50 watt version, but it does sound amazing in a totally different way from the MP.

Yep, that's where I'm at, the 66/68 modes, though I don't run any pedals. That could change with my other band because we play more Hard Rock; time to try the Mod Mode.

gtrs likes this.
  11. mrwhipple

MOD mode is sweet. thick and juicy.

gtrs, gman1951 and greatmutah like this.
  12. shampoch

shampoch Supporting Member

I need to buy one

mrwhipple and gman1951 like this.
  13. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

This man knows.

gman1951 and mrwhipple like this.
  14. gman1951

Yeah, I'll be using it this weekend with my other, more Hard Rock band. Don't have a gig with this band till the middle of November. Can't wait!

mrwhipple likes this.
  15. gman1951

Dang! Looks like you have everything else! :rockin

You definitely need one because, IMO, the MP more vintage than your other amps.

BTW Love the gator Landry cab!

16. Soulshaker

Soulshaker Member

Hey guys, I recently bought a Metroplex head used. Got to hear it with matching 4x12 with H75's when I tried it out. I just ordered the 2x12 metroplex cab from George with a mix of H75 creamback and alnico cream speakers. Any opinions of that mix would be appreciated. Also I have a 1x12 with a M65 creamback that I was going to temporarily use. Do you think at lower volumes that will be safe with the 100 watt head? Thanks for your time & expertise,

Jason

17. gman1951

I think George himself has chimed in with his opinion regarding the virtue of that particular mix. Myself, I have a Bogner 2x12 CBS cabinet (supposedly exactly one half the size of the 4x12) loaded with the Creamback H75s and I think it sounds incredible! Very well balanced with just the right amount of emphasis that upper-mid frequency that helps it cut in a mix. I think, in general, the entire Creamback series is perfectly suited for the Metro-Plex!

18. mrwhipple

An H75 and an Creamback Alnico would be an excellent sounding match. I've tried both and I think the blend of the two brings out different aspects of that amp.

The H75 brings out the dynamics and sizzle while the Alnico brings out the beautiful blooming woody tones.

flcmcya and gman1951 like this.
  19. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I have two alnico's in mine and it flies just fine.......

I say run that M65 till it explodes! :eek:

20. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

If you’re worried about the M65, just drop the wattage to 50 on the back (half power switch down). Perfectly safe.