Metropoulos Metroplex owners - your thoughts so far?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DM426, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Soulshaker

Soulshaker Member

Thanks! I can't believe I didn't think of that....

2. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

H75/Alnico Cream are fantastic with the MP!
    I’ve got a StoneAge 4x12 and 2x12C loaded with that mix. I think both speakers together cover all the positive attributes of that amp beautifully.

mrwhipple likes this.
  3. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

No worries! With every thing else this amp can do, it’s easy to overlook that function. Running it in 50 Watts is pretty legit too. The circuit actually increases the bias going to the two power tubes that are still running so it keeps the tone in a good place.

4. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

I'd love a small box version (50 watt ) with an added JMP 2204/2203 mode- is that possible? Long post here- sorry if this has been covered.

Krausewitz likes this.
  5. Soulshaker

Soulshaker Member

Check Metropoulos website for George's kickstarter campaign for his upcoming smallbox 50 watt head!

greatmutah, mrwhipple and flcmcya like this.
  6. shampoch

shampoch Supporting Member

Metro-plex ordered!

Tony Foran, mkeRocker, gtrs and 5 others like this.
  7. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Your not going to regret it.
    That amp has been a total game changer for me and George is one of the nicest, most dedicated guys in the business.

8. shampoch

One Great Amp Period - Sure to be a classic!

greatmutah likes this.
  9. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

10. shampoch

11. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Awesome! Welcome to the family sir.

12. Deanriffs

Deanriffs Silver Supporting Member

I may have to thin the herd of some tasty amps to make room for a 50W Metropoulos. It could be partly justified also by telling my wife I'm supporting the business of a fellow Greek American. :)

mrwhipple likes this.
  13. macrofor

macrofor Member

I bought one about 4 weeks back and it's been a game changer. After trying to make MATCHLESS amps work for me, circuit after circuit, I decided to go try a vintage Marshall. I bought a 78' MV 2203 and I really liked how it changed my playing style a bit. I starting playing more EVH, LZ, Rush, Kansas, ACDC, Hendrix because the tones were right there ( or pretty close) with the 2203. Then I started looking at boutique plexis for the modern conveniences and the truer tone. I actually followed this thread for a while and was reading many others on TGP.

This search lead me to Metropolous and I founder a seller shortly thereafter. And so then, I had to join TGP to be Abe to buy

mrwhipple likes this.
  14. macrofor

macrofor Member

The amp. ( sorry, 7 yr old attacking me). so now the metroplex has gone from the man cave to the band room where I can really open her up a bit more. And many nights a week I enjoy the quality of discourse on my favorite subjects here on this site. How did I not know about TGP before?

Anyhow, love the amp and will chime in about specifics a bit later. Just wanted to thank you all for leading me to the metroplex and to TGP.

tritone 6, velvetgeorge and mrwhipple like this.
  15. RavenTooth

RavenTooth Member

I first posted on this thread back in Feb. In that time I've watched every video, drove to LA to test drive the amp, and today I pulled the trigger to take advantage of the Black Friday sale. I'm very exited to hear my very nicely modded R9 with LTD Edition Wizz pickups through a truly great amp (I've been feeling like my Marshall 1987x was my weak link for a while now). Also, this is just in time for recording an EP that my band will be doing within the next couple months. Will report back after some honeymooning.

16. shampoch

Congrats - good choice!

17. macrofor

macrofor Member

After trying so many different amps, and then reading about how some guys like it and others point out what and why it doesn't work for them - I am really impressed by how the feedback for the metroplex is overwhelmingly positive. I have to admit that I did not make it thru the entire thread, but every single post I have ever read has been a thumbs up, when we talk about its build quality and performance. Cost can always be debated. For me, I will always pay a bit more for the promise of better tone. Usually, I find that most of my amps had a weak link - bad MV, weak fx loop, poor cleans, blustery OD ... But I gotta say that the metroplex does not have an obvious weak link, not one I have yet to find. But I'll keep looking....way to go G Metro

buddy62, velvetgeorge and mrwhipple like this.
  18. macrofor

macrofor Member

I know the 1987x kinda has its own unique thing, but I'm curious if you find that you can get that tone with your Mplex. Congrats, it's so worth it.

19. RavenTooth

RavenTooth Member

I haven't gotten rid of the 1987x yet so it will be interesting to see how it compares, especially to the MP in 50 watt mode. I'm also interested to see if I end up loving the 100w mode more, or if playing a 50 watt Marshall for years has trained me to prefer that tone. Funny thing is I bought the 50w Marshall years ago more based on the idea that it would be quieter than the 100 watt model. Now I realize its more of a tone decision, and 50 is still stupid loud. Can't wait 'til Monday!

mrwhipple likes this.