Metropoulos Metroplex owners - your thoughts so far?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DM426, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Soulshaker

Soulshaker Member

I’ve been playing my new Metroplex for 4 weeks now. Just did 3 gigs as well and I’m loving it! The one thing that is hard to get with a Plexi amp is sparkly clean. I know they are great at rolling back your guitar volume and the amp cleaning up which I love and do all the time but I’m talking about super clean tone. I want to share a method I’ve been experimenting with. If you have a pedal that can lower your volume coming into the input of the amp and also have an effect that can raise your volume in the loop, you can achieve a super clean tone. Even more so if you simultaneously go from the high to low input. I achieve all of this with 1 button on my midi pedal.

velvetgeorge likes this.
  2. RavenTooth

RavenTooth Member

I just received my Metro-Plex on Tuesday night. As soon as I plugged it in, it was way different than my Marshall 1987x. I set it to the default Plexi tone that is recommended. It was bigger, warmer, more bass, more gain, hollower. The 1987x has more mid focus and dare I say clarity. It's also basically one sound all the time, and a sound that I have been listening to for literally a decade. I immediately felt like I now had the wrong cab for the amp. Its a 1960ahw with standard 30-watt, 12" Celestion G12H-30s. But George seems to like these speakers. So, definitely will need some honeymoon time to explore everything. It's even caused me to start messing with the adjustments on my Les Paul pickups. Oh the rat holes.

When I dialed in the Angus Young tone, as specified in the manual, I pretty much had my 1987x tone back. 50 watt with all the tone knobs at around 6. Maybe I just prefer 50 watt tone. Anyway, it is very cool but of course has almost raised more questions. I wish I had two cabs so I could A/B it more easily with my old amp. I haven't played the Marshall since getting the Metro.

I will continue playing it for hours each night and report back in a while.

mrwhipple likes this.
  3. shampoch

shampoch Supporting Member

I have a lot of cabs and went through a bunch. Surprisingly my Friedman cab was not the best for the MP. When I plugged into my 1976 Marshall black-back 4x12 the magic happened! I will be investing in a Creamback Alnico Cab soon. Congrats on the MP! 247?

4. Oatie

Oatie Member

You guys are talking about the 100 watt amp right? Anyone have the 50 watt Meyroplex yet?

5. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

Nope still in development. There's a Kickstarter out for it.

6. shampoch

shampoch Supporting Member

Yes 100w

7. RavenTooth

RavenTooth Member

Yes, 247 she is.

I think I gotta try these alnico creams now. But I did realize some of the extra bass and change in sound I was hearing when I swapped heads was just from having moved my cabinet out from the wall and back again into a bit of a different place. The cab is in the corner and if it’s out a bit from the wall it creates a lot more bass! So many things to consider!

Got my pickups set really well in my Les Paul so that’s out of the way.

I’m finding a lot of good tones but I can’t believe anyone thinks this amp doesn’t have enough gain. It has tons, but I notice when I turn down the gain I have to re-EQ a bit because the tone thins out. I’m either playing in 66 mode with gain up at 6 or in 68 with it around 4. One thing I pretty immediately wished I could control was the gain between modes. I’m playing a verse in 66 and then kick on 68 mode for the chorus, but it’s just up to the amp to decide how much more gain that is. I guess that’s sort of what boost is for but I feel that’s more of a lead tone.

Going to go bother my neighbours some more now.

8. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Awesome.
    #55 here.
    I play alot around 66/ mod, with the gain around 9, 10. with the boost around 2ish.
    Playing with the vol knob, I can get a nice "marshall clean" (on the edge), then crunch it up.
    Takes a bit for them to break in, once they do, sweetness.

mrwhipple likes this.
  9. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

so what is going to happen with the 50 watt? Clearly the Kickstarter is not going to hit the goal of $125K

$30,521 pledged of $125,000 goal
    backers
    58 hours to go

10. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

Sadly, no. We're not going to hit the goal. I made it high so I knew I would have enough work to stay afloat through the first quarter of 2018. Instead, now I'll have to regroup, take on some contract work to keep the lights on and work out a new timeline for the Metro-Plex 50 watts. I have a few feelers out and might even take a regular day gig for as while.
    Those of you who pledged and want an MP50, please stay in touch and watch the FB page for updates. The economy of scale still applies and I can't launch a new amp with only 10 down payments. But I will get creative and figure out an organic approach to get this done.

george

Tony Foran and Sirloin like this.
  11. How

How Supporting Member

31 backers at $1000 each? They want the coffee mug not an amp!

12. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

For all the people that went on and on about needing a small box MP, you would have thought they would have put their money where their mouths were. All I remember reading was people over and over saying if George makes a small box, I'm in!
    BS!
    The 100 watt head has a 50 watt switch, a variac and every tone and feature you could want in a classic M voiced amp.

Volume is not an issue. It never was with the MP. Best MV in the business. Too heavy? Get a cart. I'm 51 with a bad back. I had to have one and I found a way. Best gear decision I ever made.

if the 50 watter was available, they would have found another reason why it didn't work for them...

buddy62, GoGoRilla, shampoch and 5 others like this.
  13. macrofor

macrofor Macro Silver Supporting Member

Maybe that's exactly the problem - all the guys that said they wanted a smaller 50 watt version spent their money on the metroplex and now realize how great and versatile the MP really is. Amazing MV at .5 or wide open. Size doesn't bother me .

tritone 6 likes this.
  14. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

I can almost promise you the first “problem” would be....”It doesn’t sound as big as the 100 watt MP”.
    Well duh!
    LoL
    The MP is bound to be a classic amp sought after for years to come. Master Volume so good my family can sleep in the next room while I play with one of the best sounds I’ve ever had.
    Killer FX Loop
    Killer Boost built in with its own Master Volume.
    Tons of gain available yet has amazing cleans in 66 mode.
    THIS is the gigging amp I’ve been looking for through countless amps and many years.
    And I WILL find a way to get a SuperPlex, I’ve played it twice and it’s equally badass. Stands on its own right next to the MetroPlex with its own unique voice.
    Both are Classics IMO!

15. RavenTooth

RavenTooth Member

What happens as they break in? How long does this take?

This was a really helpful message about tone. Last night I think I found my tone and got really excited when, instead of trying to reduce gain on 68 Mode, I added gain (at like 8) on 66 Mode. This is using the high input with 100 Watts. Using the low input on 68 Mode is pretty close, I like it too. Really trying to find those lighter crunch Marshall tones like Thin Lizzy Jailbreak or first 3 ZZ Top albums. Really like the suggested AC/DC tones this amp does.

The Metro-Plex definitely is awesome in that, every tone is unquestionably high quality and it has basically allowed me to play and explore a 68 Plexi and a JTM45 (and more) for hours in my own home. I really never understood the difference between all these early Marshall’s, and this one amp has really given me a crash course. I also really didn’t know a 68 Plexi was so gainy. I understand what people say now when they doubt that Van Halen’s amp was even modded. Every recording studio, especially smaller ones, should have this amp. Any band coming in looking for a Marshall sound could definitely find a very high quality version of it with this amp.

Now I really want to play one of George’s 10,000 series amps. I feel like that’s maybe exactly the tone I’m searching for, which is somewhere between the 45/100 and a ‘68 modes. I’m never going to use the modded mode. Can anyone comment on this? I read some reviews in this thread of how this amp compares to his 12,000 series, but not the 10,000. What settings on the Metro-Plex will get me into 10,000 tones?

16. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Yes. Yes you will. ;) In due time.... ;)
    Like others on this board, I have had my share of Marshalls thru the years.
    The MP, I can get really stupid close to just about all of them in tone.
    When I first demo'd the MP, I instinct-fully dialed the tone stack to where I would always do on a Marshall, and "it" was there.
    To me, The MP loves vintage output pickups. My Stock 72' LPC with T-tops.... oh man. P90's? OMG. That chunk and grind.
    Mod mode... leads. If no leads, back off the gain, use your volume knob.
    The FX loop works perfect. A nice simple delay... yummy.
    Maybe I am gushing... But I followed Geo on this adventure for years. His efforts just nails it for me, every thing in a marshal I could ever need and then some.

[​IMG]

mrwhipple, gtrs and velvetgeorge like this.
  17. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

I'm glad you're finding the tones you wanted in the MP!

For those less gainy tones '66 can nail them, as you found. Also, try the lo input jack. You will need to add more treble, but you'll find what you're looking for.

george

mrwhipple likes this.
  18. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

66 Mode, low input & variac engaged.
    Set the master volume high and use the gain control to set the overall volume.
    Good stuff.....

tritone 6 and velvetgeorge like this.
  19. macrofor

macrofor Macro Silver Supporting Member

I use the 66 mode set with gain at 3, and gtr volume rolled back for amazing cleans. The I turn up the gtr volume if I need to and hit Mod mode for rhythm and some dirt. Then boost with gain at 5 or 6, for crunch- add mod mode for a saturated lead tones. Haven't really explored the variac or 100/50 watt differences just yet. Too busy playing.

I really like the cleans this way - they're not crystalline or sharp like a Matchless or some Fenders, you can dig into them a bit, or play lightly with different results.

tritone 6 likes this.
  20. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

As George and others have said, the low input is a great place to play. Personally I love the modded mode. Does it add gain? Yes. It also brings out some low mids to the grind and thickens up the tones.

Pickups - low output pickups work well. High output work well. Depends on your taste. This amp does great with single coils too. P-90s sing and Teles bring the spank. Plus low input with 66 on a strat in the 2 and 4 positions brings some goods.

The break in thing: I played mine for s month straight after getting it and gradually over that month components started to set in and the amp really warmed up in a good way. Just play it. You should notice similar things but not so much all at once. More gradual like I said.

The bonus stuff: use the boost. It’s the most useful boost feature I’ve ever had in an amp. The loop is amazing. I just run a delay in there most time and it’s perfect for thickening up melodies live. I don’t feel I lose anything tonewise either.

Finally explore the controls. The settings in the manual are cool and are a good place to start. The mid range control is incredibly powerful on this amp. There is a huge variety of tone shaping just from that one control. With treble and presence test out their full range. Granted, higher areas on both can get harsh fast but explore the lower areas too. Treble alone has some cool sounds between 3.5 and 6 on the dial.

tritone 6 likes this.