• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Metropoulos Supa-Boost!!

billbfoot

I heard an online demo of the Supa-Boost a few weeks ago and was def impressed. It might have been on That Pedal Show and their episode which was all about boosts and their various possible uses. I think I watched some other demos online and really liked what I heard.

It was also on That Pedal Show that I first heard a demo of the Saturn VI from Spaceman Effects. Dan and Mick featured it on one of their “Pedal Jams” episodes in February, and I ordered one immediately. Coincidentally, they featured the Saturn VI again on yesterday’s episode entitled “5 Pedal Builders You Should Know About”. Was great to see Spaceman featured on the show!

Question... how do the Supa-Boost and Saturn VI compare? Does anyone have first-hand experience with both pedals? I really like the Saturn VI as a clean (and pretty transparent) boost, and I keep mine with the boost knob at around 3:00 or so, and the gain knob down around 9:00. The Saturn VI is billed as a “harmonic booster”, with the boost and gain knobs apparently controlling even-order and odd-order harmonics somewhat separately.

Early in this thread, somebody mentions how the Supa-Boost adds harmonics and “bigness”. This is exactly what I use the Saturn VI for, especially with single coils. So there seems to be some similarity there. And like the Saturn VI, the Supa-Boost has a gain knob.

Im intrigued by the 3 separate EQ controls on the Supa-Boost. With the Saturn VI, there is a single tone knob, which I usually keep just left of noon. But three separate EQ controls adds some versatility and flexibility, I would think?

Any other differences that anyone can speak to? I’m a sucker for a good boost pedal, and while I absolutely do not need another one, my GAS-related symptoms are flaring up as I read through this thread!

bradtfw

Got a Supa Boost last week from the new run. It sounds great! It has taken the spot of a Timmy on my board.

I use a Timmy as a boost into already dirty British amps with the volume around 3:00 and the gain around 9:00.

The Supa Boost sounds really similar to my ears with the gain around 1:00 and EQ to taste. However, the Supa Boost just adds a little something extra: control over the mids to add warmth if you want it, more harmonics on the lower strings, and more clarity. It just sounds more ‘real’. It’s hard to describe.

I thought I needed a boost and an OD, but the way I play, I’ll be fine with just the Supa Boost.

Dominik

the Supa Boost just adds a little something extra: control over the mids to add warmth if you want it, more harmonics on the lower strings, and more clarity. It just sounds more ‘real’. It’s hard to describe.
Glad to hear it's back in production and shipping. I bought mine thinking it'd be a boost I'd switch on and off. You fooled me George. Always on and first in the chain.

Last edited:

soma

I know it's a boost more than an OD, but could it help impart a JTM/Plexi vibe to a '68 DRRI?

bradtfw

I know it's a boost more than an OD, but could it help impart a JTM/Plexi vibe to a '68 DRRI?
That may depend on how clean/quiet you set your DRRI, and how loud you want to get. If your volume is set low, then you may not be able to turn-up the gain on the Supa Boost enough to get the full effect.

I use it with my Hiwatt with the volume set at the edge of break-up and the master set high, and it definitely gives it a lead-spec Marshall vibe without a huge jump in volume since there is little headroom left.

Also, I think it is meant to emulate a lead spec Marshall gain stage, such as a Model 1987 or 1959, as opposed to a JTM 45.

I will say no. This morning I plugged it into my vintage 1966 Fender Twin and although it sounded AMAZING, it did not turn my Twin into a marshall; rather it gave it more bite and of course a great boost. If you want to turn your DRRI into a Marshall, I would reccomend the Lovepedal JTM but even more so the Bogner Blue Ecstasy. It turns my Fender Twin into a Marshall and it has a boost as well which is cool.

cuz/karl

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I gotta say no too.
It's not a Marshall in a box or sound alike.
It's a well designed boost geared toward boosting a Marshall 1st and for most by the guy who probably knows more about the Marshall sound than anyone.
But it is really just a good design that works really well across the board.
At least for me so far.

Sent From My Telecaster

Gold Supporting Member
Great pedal Does something different from rest of the pack. Definitely in boost camp. Metropoulos video describes this accurately. Marshall leaning but not OD — really feels great under hands. Ran it through ‘67 Super —- it did not turn Fender into a Marshall, but loved what I got noon up on gain, with all 3 EQ straight up middle. Keeping this pedal. Strong feeling on this.

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
Just got one of the new run...sounds awesome with my Superplex (when I don't want to bring the bigass footswitch for the amp's boost) and Germino 2204.

side note - if you play heavier rock styles and your bass player uses an SVT or similar tube amp, the Supaboost is KILLER for bass as well.

TD Moyer

Silver Supporting Member
Supa Boost is one of the best finds ever to pair up with my Suhr SL67 (so I'd assume it's ideal for any Plexi style Marshall build).

It works especially well with P90s or Humbuckers where you don't need a lot of saturation...just MORE! Many shades of MORE...

Sloppyfingers

I've had mine for over a year now, and no regrets ..Not 1 iota..I use it in conjunction with my 20 watt plexi and Friedman Pink Taco , and it truly is still your amp, only better!. I really like it at low volumes to make you amp sound bigger. I run my plexi into an attenuator for 1 level of snarl, then kick in my Supa boost for hyper space, but in a good way, because even at that it's still my amp sound..I have an out of town friend visiting for a few days tomorrow, and I can't wait to show him it..He uses a Vox AC30, and although he's not bringing it with him, I suspect he may want to run out and get one once he's back home..I've been recording collab videos lately, and for those I've been using my Kingsley Tube pre amps direct in, and that chain is seperate from my amp set up and I use a Koko boost for that chain..I have yet to try my Supa boost with my pre-amp pedals, but I'm sure it would sound great with my Kingsley Constable (JCM 800 style pre)..Folks, this pedal is a winner!

Trending Topics