Metropoulos vs Germino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PurpleJesus, Apr 25, 2015.

1. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Both seem to have their fans (deservedly) and seem to be the two amp companies most often mentioned as the "best" classic Marshall builders.

Does one company do one of Marshall's classic circuits better than the other and vice versa? I'm definitely interested in getting a real deal 60s-style Marshall, and Germino and Metropoulos seem to be the guys to get them from.

Anyone own one of both?

Drop some knowledge on me, please.

(Edited to add: Please, let's keep fighting to a minium. The kids are watching.)

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Metroamp: dead nuts jut as it was done back in the day, with a couple options such as fx loop, master and switchable bright caps.

Germino: slight evolution of original in terms of layout and lead dress to improve ghosting. Now a optional 30 watt version of his 50s, and a master option.

IMO and I've played both, dead nuts even.
    Both have exceptional products and exceptional service.
    They do different eras of JTM45....but otherwise I'd have to flip,a coin.
    They're both incredible products by incredible craftsmen.

Btw...sorry bout missing that lebowski quote the other day,
    You want a toe dude? I can get you a toe...

nolenuttt likes this.
  3. dwk302

dwk302 Member

The new Metroplex is the best sounding amp I've ever heard.

4. PurpleJesus

:) No worries man, just glad to be back. And I only accept toes from nihilists, are you a nihilist?

[​IMG]

Thanks for the explanation on the two brands.

I know this question is going to lead to endless amounts of debate, but here goes anyway, does one particular model nail Jimi's amp tone better than the others? I know there is a "Monterey" version from one of them. Thoughts on that?

5. JiMB

JiMB Member

No. If one can play Hendrix with his feel, either brand is going to give it up equally.

Hacksaw likes this.
  6. big mike

Monterey from Greg
    Jtm45/100 from George

Ditto Jim b, either will nail it if one does their part.

Metroplex IS an awesome amp. Georges new design that gives much higher gain levels, boost, etc.

7. DM426

DM426 Member

Yes, I do own one of each. Here's my thought on how these two particular models compare.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1569756

But note, I'm comparing a Metropoulos Metroplex to a Germino Lead55LV, and they're really two very different designs. I can say they both do the Plexi thing extremely well.

I would think the 12,000 series from George would also be a potential candidate for those sounds, although I don't own one so I'm only speculating.

The truth is, these two brands are top of the Marshall-inspired food chain and you can't go wrong with either one. The trick is choosing the exact model that best suits your playing style.

8. PurpleJesus

Thanks, great review!

So, basically, it sounds like folks consider these guys to be equal and the "standard bearers" so to speak right now for vintage Marshall tone.

9. big mike

Yes,

You can include Brian Wallace and the Park (Colby) Amps as well.

Hacksaw and 71strat like this.
  10. Randy

Randy Member

Brian builds amazing amps... I had a JTM50 style amp of his that was just ridiculously good. Wish I still had that amp...

11. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

After a lot of thought and research, I've put a deposit down on a Metropoulos 45/100 Block End Limited Edition. I'm looking for the biggest baddest roundest early Marshall amp, and while I think Greg Germino makes a killer amp, I want as close to the real animal as possible without having to buy a vintage 45/100. I think I made the right choice.

I've found that if you compromise and don't accept the warts of a particular design, you might miss the magic.

Analogman88 likes this.
  12. 71strat

71strat Member

I don't have both but I have the Metro GMP45 LTD ED and I see a Metro GMP45/100 in the future. But you cant go wrong with Germino, Wallace, Park.

I preferred Georges JTM45 because its a later Drake.

I think the GMP45/100 is Georges Flagship amp and if its anything like my GMP45 ( I know it is ) the 2 amps will be 2 recreations of the amps Ive always wanted. So for me it is just a natural evolution to go more towards the LTD ED Metro GMP45/100 for the 2nd amp as it is Georges Flagship.

It has to be good if he puts the Flagship label with it.

I think localmotion411 made a great choice. Im jealous now. I think you will love that amp. For a Lower watt amp. 38.. I couldn't be happier with mine.

I also want a Metro 12,000 series. All it takes is money.

I also think for the money a Valve Storm Kit is hard to beat if you know someone that can really do a Great Job of putting it together. NOS Mustard Caps.. The works ect.

I think you can get a VS Kit for a GMP45/100 for less than or around $1500 and then still have $1000 or MORE for tubes left over for what you will pay for an amp built by Metro. My GMP45 LTD ED was $3200 + I got $1800 in NOS tubes.

Ive got almost $1800 in tubes in my GMP45. Next time Im going to get the GMP45/100 kit and have either Richie or Dana Hall put it together or a guy named Muchxs . Im sure there are people on here that could do a great job if researched.

Alot of money can be saved and No Compromise materials with a VS Kit and will help save some money so you can put some really good NOS tubes in it. But if you afford to have George build it hes hard to beat.

My friends Dana and Richie Hall... Hall Amplification are well regarded at 18 watt Marshall, ampgarage, Trainwreck forum.. Dana was friends with Ken FIsher and was voted on the Trainwreck forum to build the Ken Fisher Tribute amp when Ken died. SO they know amps........... They told me my Metro was the BEST looking and sounding JTM45 they have ever seen and the Soldering Job was as Good as can be done and second to none. Mine was the 1st Metro they actually got too look at the guts of and Richie was tickled to death to check it out.

Just my 2c

13. PurpleJesus

So, you're obviously a big believer in NOS tubes. I know it's hard to quantify, but compared with the stock tubes, how much better do you think they make it sound? 10, 20, 30%?

Also, do you have it tubed with what originally rolled out of the Marshall factory or something else? Love to know your thoughts on it. I've been considering putting in NOS tubes in all my amps. Also, where is the best place to buy NOS tubes on the internet?

14. big mike

Preamp tubes 30% better and last five times longer.

Power tubes better to buy new prod.

Dannyz and Analogman88 like this.
  15. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

I have to say, Greg builds a superb amp. You can't go wrong. Also, I don't see his amps, along with mine, Mitch's, Brian's etc as a competition. Once you pony up for something on this level there is not an inferior choice. Yes, there are aesthetic differences and we each have our own design sensibilities. These may or may not have more appeal to you, it's down to personal preference.

To me, the differences sonically are down to which original amp or era of amp is the benchmark for each model. They all sound different, of course.

For me, I own an incredible 1968 Superlead, number 12380. That is my 12 series benchmark.
    I own 1966 45/100 #7206. My 45/100 benchmark.
    I don't own a '65 era JTM 45, so I have had to rely on amps that come through and loaners for that benchmark. Where my 12 series and 45/100 replicas are recreations of specific amps, the 45 replica is more of an amalgamation of the best aspects of several amps I've had access to.
    As soon as I find original transformers I will have an original 1966 block end 45 in my stable. That may require an exact replica.

My suggestion when choosing your replica amp would be to discuss with the builder what exactly they are replicating. And what sets the benchmark for that model.

Thanks for considering my builds and take on old Marshalls for your plexi needs. And my friends for their builds too. We all do this out of passion for vintage amps and tone.

George

16. PurpleJesus

George,

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Can you tell me a little about the different transformers used? That seems to be one of the differences between all the different builders. Like you said, they're all great obviously, so I'm just asking about the literal technical differences between them.

I'm a noob in terms of vintage Marshalls (always been a Fender guy) so I've been reading about Drake and other transformers. Can you drop some knowledge on me?

Oh, thought of one more question. What are your thoughts on adding a master volume and how does that interact with the two volume controls already present on the amps?

Thanks!!!

(Edited to add: I wasn't trying to imply competition between you vs. Germino, or any other builder....it was more of a "So, these guys are consider the best, what do you guitar players think are the differences between them?" Kind of a Ferrari vs. Lambo discussion. They both look great and drive fast as hell, but there are things that make them different. Does that make sense? Thanks again!)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  17. big mike

And that is why George gets the props he does. Killer products, killer service, and a class guy all the way around.

It's like a good gumbo...everyone's is different and we would all have our favorite.

18. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

totally agree

19. big mike

I tell ya in a perfect world my amp line up would be:
    Metroplex
    Metro 12xxx series
    Germino Fillmore
    Germino Monterey
    Park 75
    Park 45 ltd