Mexican Blues Jr. vs. American

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by speek, Feb 2, 2008.

1. speek

speek Member

Can anyone tell me what the big difference in the Mexican vs. the American made Blues Jr.?? Is it still ok to put a Bill M mod in?

2. plygtar

plygtar Member

As far as I know Fender made some minor circuit changes over the years to the Blues Jr amp and then moved manufacturing to Mexico around 2002/2003. Some think that the quality has suffered because of this otherwise no circuit change (that I know of) because assembly was moved to Mexico. I have an USA one that was made around 2001/02 that I mod'ed. I believe you can do mods to the Mexi version. However, you can email Bill M to confirm. He was good about replying to an email I sent him one time. BTW, the two benefiicials mods (IMO) are reducing hot bias level and changes to reverb. I did the tone stack changes, but didn't find them that significant or worthwhile although none of the mods are too costly or difficult to do yourself and can easily be undone.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Not everyone agrees with Bill about the hot bias. Do a google search. In fact, some think that the bias mod actually is not good for the amp at all.

4. frank62

frank62 Member

^I do not agree with billM on the bias mod and neither does Bob at Eurotubes. The differences over the years are cream board /green board and some reverb tweeking. I have heard BJs with all the BillM mods and I feel the stock amp with an improved tube set and a Greenback sounds better.

5. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

The circuit did go through a few revisions--mostly for the better it seems. But there is really no difference in quality between the US and Mexican versions. Most of the parts are made in China anyway and just assembled closer to home. Whether done by American hands or Mexican hands seems to make no difference.

As far as the bias mods are concerned, I like the option to put an adjustment pot in the amp. That way you can run it with warmer or cooler bias to taste.

6. paul14470

paul14470 Member

Turn all your tone controls to 12, then SUBTRACT to get the best tone. Try Bass 12, Mid 5, Treble 6 for a starting point. Fat switch off, both volumes at 6.5 or so. It eliminates the boxy thing right away. All I would do if you need more is drop in a Texas Heat or G12H30 speaker. I never used a Bill M modded amp, but seriously it can't get much better than this.