Mexican or Squier CV bass??

Rod Parsons

Hi !! I am primarily a guitar player and I also have a Dano Longhorn bass reissue that I play when I record... It was dirt cheap when they came out and they are easy to play... AND they sound good. However, I would like to get either a P bass or a Jazz bass and I'm wondering which would the best. I recently bought a [Squier] Clasic Vibe 50 Telecaster that is fabulous for the money..... $320.00 new. The forums on Teles is jammed full of praises for the Classic Vibe Series Teles, and I have read that the CV basses are even better. I don't see mention of this series on this sight, maybe I missed it. I was wondering if anyone who has played these and also the mexican basses could give me some guidance??, pros...cons, etc. Thank you mucho... R

yoyoyoseph

Silver Supporting Member
Played a classic vibe for a while today and enjoyed it. It was the J. It was lighter than many of the standards that I've tried and the pups sounded good. Definitely less embarrassing than going out on stage with a longhorn ;)

Rod Parsons

Well... A vote for each. I guess that's good. I was wondering, though what you mean by "more wood, better tone??? Is it the neck or the body that has more wood on the Mex J Bass?? As far as being embarassed to be seen playing the Longhorn...never.... It was at an open mike back in '98, that I saw my first Longhorn reissue played by another guy on stage.. He lent it to me for about 4 songs that a couple friends of mine an I did, and I was really impressed with the sound,[I don't remember what amp I was playing through, it was his],and it was so darn light in weight. Now a bass player friend of mine is so impressed with my Dano,[he plays a super heavy seventy something P bass], that he is seeking one out to save his back. It's the lightest bass in the world, as far as I know. I've never weighed it, but it's probly 3 to 4 lbs. Super fly weight.. Maybe even less weight. I don't have scales... I must get one. It's the solid color tourquis one. And the neck is as straight as a straight arrow, or something like that. Any one else with their opinion??? I guess I'll have to go out and see them in person...Thanks,..... Rod

harpinon

Rod, sounds like you've already decided. If that's what you want....get it.
There are other ways of improving bass tone.
An eq pedal for one thing. A good compressor is another.
A decent amp with those pedals should get you where you wanna go.

As for just a great plug and play bass, I still vote mexi.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
You don't indicate what kind of music you play... I am partial to Jazz or PJ configurations as they are more versatile. If you want a thunky sound like Jamerson, go with a P. If you want a brighter sound and like pop and slap/funk, a J will be better.

As to Squire vs. Mexi - if you buy the Squire or Mexi used you will not lose money on re-sale. The Fender Mexi will sell for more and sell more quickly. So resale leans towards Mex.

Ultimately, it does not matter. If you are in love with the instrument, you go, man!

JamminJoe

I just got a Squier Vintage Modified 70's jazz. Excellent bass - much more livelier tone than a lot of more expensive basses I've tried. Here's a really nice demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UIuPs7hmAY

I say go for the Squier CV - which seem to get even better reviews than the VM's. Squier is making great basses nowadays.

Trending Topics