• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mexican Strat bridge replacement options. Opinions..

michael.e

I found the Guitarfetish for $36.95 and the Callaham for $165. Any experience with either/both?

The Callahams are too pricey for me. I'd replace the block and leave the rest as is. They aren't bad trem units, but the blocks are the weakest part, IMO.

wamba

I installed a Super-Vee BladeRunner on my 2004 MIM Strat. It's fantastic. Significant improvement in both the sustain and the tone. And if you're not dive bombing like a Kamikaze the thing will stay in tune. Another thing I like is it still looks basically stock.

Bob Pollock

Altes Holz
Gold Supporting Member
I've had Callaham and GFS, and I actually prefer the good old large block MIM Fender unit to either. Set up properly, it works just as well or better. And I think the tone is better too. All IMHO of course.

gkoelling

The Callahams are too pricey for me. I'd replace the block and leave the rest as is. They aren't bad trem units, but the blocks are the weakest part, IMO.
I haven't tried one (no Strat) but that's the first thing I'd do, too.

At $21.95 from it's hard to lose.

Last edited:

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I found the Guitarfetish for $36.95 and the Callaham for $165. Any experience with either/both?
I've used the $36.95 one for two of my MIM's that had the OEM slim block.
They work great.
Add some candle wax to the underside of the bridge holes and on the screw threads.
Like butta.

Sconnie

I have the Callaham, great bridge that I probably did over-spend on but I was feeling saucy I guess. What you want is a steel block and stamped steel saddles, they affect your tone the most. The callaham block is really nice with the bushing that bears the all the loading from the bar. Make the investment if you use the whammy a lot or plan to own the instrument for a while.

dazco

+1. I've tried almost every part of a callaham seperately on a MIM trem. The only parts that are beneficial IMO is the block and possibly the plate. The plate is the one part i never used with MIM block screws and saddles. But i DID swap a hardtail strat style bridge on a MIM 72 thinline tele for a callaham unit and as with the strat found the saddles much too inny sounding, but the plate was an improvement. But for a strat i'd say just get the cally block. They are IMO more of an improvement than the entire cally trem. It adds the clarity and tone quality that makes them so good. But i found the cally saddles and mounting screws both imparted a tinniness. Get the block....it's all you need and i think around $60. Don't know about the GFS but i would just go for the known good one rather than possibly waste your time and money. Much of what ghs sells is mediocre.

scott944

I put a GFS brass block and Callaham saddles on mine, leaving the stock plate. $70'ish. Sounds, and feels (saddle height screws are graduated height, so no digging into your palm) great!

scott944

+1. I've tried almost every part of a callaham seperately on a MIM trem. The only parts that are beneficial IMO is the block and possibly the plate. The plate is the one part i never used with MIM block screws and saddles. But i DID swap a hardtail strat style bridge on a MIM 72 thinline tele for a callaham unit and as with the strat found the saddles much too inny sounding, but the plate was an improvement. But for a strat i'd say just get the cally block. They are IMO more of an improvement than the entire cally trem. It adds the clarity and tone quality that makes them so good. But i found the cally saddles and mounting screws both imparted a tinniness. Get the block....it's all you need and i think around $60. Don't know about the GFS but i would just go for the known good one rather than possibly waste your time and money. Much of what ghs sells is mediocre.
I had read that in several reviews before I pulled the trigger on parts, and is the reason I went with the brass block.

zztomato

Get the Callaham. You can buy one used in the parts emporium. Use the whole unit. Many people will put the block on a poorly made plate and then complain about the block not improving their tone. I don't understand why people bitch about Callaham's products. To me they are a great improvement over most trem units. I wouldn't bother replacing a proper vintage Fender RI unit though.
One thing to note is that the Callaham my give you a brighter tone along with more sustain and better performance.

VHS analog

I put a Callaham bridge on my MIM. It was a little bright at first but that seemed to settle down after a few months. I'm not sure if others have had the same experience. I put Callaham screws on another strat, again the tinny quality went away after a few months. Over all they were very good upgrades. I've never tried the GFS products.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom