Mexican Strat Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mcjohns, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mcjohns

mcjohns Member

I have a 1990 mexican strat that I am thinking of selling. The problem is I have no idea what it is worth. Could someone give me your thoughts of what I cant expect to get for it?

Thanks
    Matt

2. janosfia

janosfia Member

I'm kinda in the market right now for a MIM and I've been watching them on eBay and my local Craigslist. Assuming it's in good condition, I'd say somewhere between $275 and $350. That's what I've been seeing most of them sell for lately.

3. mcjohns

mcjohns Member

Thanks for the post RichieD. I just didnt know if the year changed the price that much.

Matt

4. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Realistically, I would say 300 if you have a case.

I sold a beautiful mint condition 2001 with a fender HSC a few months back - asked $300 on craigslist and it sat unsold for a couple months until I put it on the bay. Hard to go over 300 IMO unless you are very very patient.

5. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I may be incorrect but as far as I have seen or check there are no year sough after that may affect value, of course as I said I may be wrong.

6. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

I think they actually made a few improvements to them around 2007 - but an minimal value that would add is probably offset by the mojo that comes with a slightly older guitar...

7. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Go to eBay's completed listing for a similar year / model. See what people are actually getting, not what they're asking, if you want to be competitive. Otherwise you can ask what you want within reason if you don't mind sitting on it for a while.

Jimmie Vs are getting good bucks these days - that is between $400 & $550...

8. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

The newer ones with the alder bodies are more desirable than older ones with the Agathis bodies.

Don't know what year they switched.

9. mcjohns

mcjohns Member

Thanks for all the input. I dont have the case so im sure that will hurt the value a bit. From what I can tell 1990 was about the first year that the mexican start was made. Is that true? Is $225-250 to much to expect with out a case?

Matt

10. StratoKing

StratoKing Member

About $300 seems right.