Mexican Strats etc.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ned, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Ned

Ned Member

Hey Guys, I have been playing guitar for nearly a decade now and have only played Les Paul guitars (style) and have now had the urge to jump into the scene of Stratocaster guitars.

I have been been looking into the boutique strats and american fenders but I also notice these mexican strats that go for about no money at all! I also am in the spot where i do not have thousands of dollars to spend on a new guitar and since i only one guitar and one amp, i do not have any gear to sell really either.

The other problem is that since i do own a Gibson Les Paul Custom 59' (i believe) guitar which is an amazing instrument and work of art, i dont think a cheap strat would live up to the Les Paul and would kill the entire experience for me so i am seeing what not only what is up with the mexican strats but also if anyone can point me in sort of direction. Any advice is helpful!

Cheers
    Ned

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Go to a music store that has a good selection of MIM strats - play them all. Select the one that plays the best with looks you can stand.

Later you can swap the pickups for something good...

3. retro

retro Member

Strats are a diverse product line...but here's a link with some good comparison info you may find useful...

http://www.allthingsguitar.com/mimvsmia/strattable.htm

Another budget option if it isn't too late is to see if there are still any closeout American Hwy 1 Strats left at the big stores...I think they are or were going for $499.00. It may be too late already though.
    I really like the spec's on those too.

4. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I bought a MIM 06 standard instead of a deluxe MIA strat,just because it felt better IMO and I switched out the whole harness to Fralin Blues Specails, saved me money and sounds better than a deluxe.

5. Monkey23

Monkey23 Member

I too am looking into getting a Mexican strat. I love Gibsons but crave a single coil sound and a whammy once in a while! I'd probably only use it for clean tones since I hate a distorted strat sound (personal preference, no flames!) so I don't think there'd be much sense in investing too much money into getting anything more than a Mexican. Would be interested in hearing from MIM owners and their opinions.

6. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

For what it's worth I have had a MIM Robert Cray strat for over a year and I think it's a great axe. My buddies who have all been playing 30 years plus and have great equipment love it as well. Good luck with your search!

7. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

Here's my '05 MIM:
    [​IMG]

Took me a few months of stopping in and playing whatever was on the rack at GC and Sam Ash. Finally found the one I was hoping to find! Taking so long had a nice benefit... Sam Ash started blowing out last year's for $299 to make room for the upgraded '06s, so I saved $100 on the deal.

This is the first Strat I've had in over 15 years, and I've been very pleased thus far (owned it since March). I just recently played a couple of MIAs and didn't feel like there was enough of a quality leap to justify the added cost. The nice thing about a MIM is if you find a keeper, you can dump cash into personalized upgrades and still be out less than an MIA. My plan for this one is:

- Fender/Schaller locking tuners
    - Bone nut
    - Callaham trem block and saddles
    - RS Guitarworks electronics kit
    - Mint green pickguard
    - DiMarzio Area 61/58/58 pups

I figure I'll be putting around $400 or so into it, worst case scenario I will have spent upwards of $800ish on the whole deal. I might end up doing a refret to get a slightly more PRS-like feel (I own four, that's the frets I'm used to). But even then, my entire cost is maybe at MIA level, and it's completely customized to my personal specs. If I bought an MIA tomorrow there's things I'd want to change.

Then there's the Custom Shop '56 I played too, that was pretty nice... :AOK

8. pep

pep Member

Sorry to spam, but I have an '06 Hwy 1 that I bought just for the hell of it since it was a 3 piece body, sounds/plays great and it was going for $500. Still has the hangtags on it and plastic on the pickguard. I have too many strats and would sell this baby for $435 shipped CONUS. Again, sorry to spam, but thought you guys might be interested. The thin laquer finish lets it ring out so much better than the plastic dipped MIM's and USA standard/deluxes. Pics if interested.

9. Stallion

Stallion Member

If you have a dealer near you I would also suggest checking out G&L guitars. Their Tribute line of guitars are excellent and as good or better than the MIM strats that go for about the same price. You could also consider going used if your willing to stretch your budget by a couple of hundred dollars and get an American strat or a used G&L. If you go used you're probably ging to spend $550 to $650 for an American strat or G&L.

10. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I scour the usual sources for a MIM Vintage Player Strat. They don't make 'em any longer, and they didn't make 'em for long (and I'm probably pissin' off guys who know what they are and would like another one), but they are genuinely great Strats - quite comparable to the AV series, right outta the box. I was a skeptic at one time, but I'd track down one before going for an American Standard Strat.

Peace,

jb

11. beePee

beePee Member

I was working at a music store when MIM first came out(90?).I was just checking out the new stock and My MIM played great and didn't sound too bad.

It was definetly better than the MIA or MIJ.I got it at store cost for $200.Threw new PUP's on it ($75),American Standard bridge($50)."Blue"Sperzals($30) MOP pickguard and voila...it was a real Strat.!!.

I even scalloped the neck and haven't had any problems. ...it is getting the "yellow fever" color but it makes it look old....I mean "vintage"..(....hell.I guess it is getting old ....at 16!!)

Haven't played a newer one but for the price ..probably a pretty solid deal....still

BP

12. TS808

TS808 Member

The Jimmie Vaughan strat is probably the best MIM strat out there (my opinion). Better pickups, better tone, it's just a question of whether or not you like maple fretboards.

13. fender tele

fender tele Member

LOVE that color!!!!
    It looks grey in the pic.
    Is it the color they call "blue agave"? (or something like that)

14. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

i agree with the above post recommending a highway 1. But I would do this: go to GC or sam ash and try every single strat in there. If none speak to you try another GC or sam ash. spend the whole day looking for one that feels like you want. Find out if you like the feel of maple or rosewood. Find out what radius you like (ie try out a 50's classic strat and if you like that then look for somethign with 7.25 radius or try a 12 radius one) Strats can feel very different even from the same line. I had 2 MIM strats and one was about a pound heavier but had a much different sound than the other. both were good. But what floats my boat might not float yours.

15. nsriley

nsriley Member

+1 on that! I just got a hold of a JV Strat, and it's everything I wanted in a Strat a a great price and it sounds wonderful! I also have a mid 90's MIM Strat standard that I played exlcusively for 6 or so years. I've done many upgrades on it, but the body, neck, and bridge are stock. Both play better than previous american Strats I've owned.

[​IMG]

-Peace
    -nate

16. SFW

SFW Member

Another option would be the Lite Ash Strat. They go for about the same price as an MIM, but have Duncan pups. I was impressed by the one I played.

17. (((echo)))

(((echo))) Member

MIM strats are great. Not as consistent as more expensive models, but good ones aren't hard to come by. One thing to keep in mind though, I'd imagine that since you've played Les Pauls most of your life you like the feel of slightly larger necks and medium jumbo frets. Most MIM classic strats come with vintage frets and slim c neck. So, you may have to do some searching at other models to find a strat that feels comfy to you. Make sure you get three single coils and trem though. After some experience if you want something different, that's cool, but start with the original.

18. karmadave

karmadave Member

I would check out the Classic Player '60s Strat that Fender recently announced:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0141100372

If you're a Les Paul guy, then you are already used to a 12" radius rosewood board. Its also got medium frets.

My understanding is that this guitar is is made in Mexico and has a street price of $799.

Good luck!

-KD

19. pep

pep Member

Cool features, but that seems like a lot of dough for a MIM. One thing that irks me about it is that they say it has '69 pups, not '69 Custom Shop pups. Do you guys think they are talking about 2 different animals?

20. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

Yep, I believe the name is Agave Blue. The color in the pic is pretty close to reality, it's blue bordering on grey. Very classy... lucky for me I found a good one in a nice shade!