Mexican Telecaster vs. Squier Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BigSB, Apr 29, 2016.

at $300, even money, which would you choose? (Please explain in a reply.)

1. 2008 Mexican Telecaster

48.7%
  2. Squier Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster

51.3%
  1. BigSB

BigSB Member

If I sell my current guitar, I have the chance to grab either one of these.

The Mexican Tele is from 2008. It's in very good condition and is stock.

The CV is also stock, essentially unplayed.

I am familiar with both in general; just wondering if others have a preference or if there are features like pickups or body wood that make one superior.

Thanks!

2. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

I had a CV Tele which I liked very much but ultimately sold because the hardware (input jack, tuners) didn't hold up for me. I've played a handful of MIM Fenders and they all seemed much more reliable. YMMV. A lot of that hardware is easily replaceable, so choose the one you like best.

3. BigSB

BigSB Member

I know that even though the quality of import hardware has gotten much better than it used to be, that's still where something like the CV series is cutting costs and saving buyers money.

Thanks for that insight. It's definitely something to consider.

4. Delver

Delver Member

Of the two I've only had a MIM Tele, gigged it stock, but later took out the ceramic pickups and put some Fender OVs in which I thought was an improvement as I wanted a more vintage sound. The guitar itself was rock solid though with no hardware problems.
    As for CVs, I've read good reports on them, tried a couple in my local shop (but no money at the time) and a friend of mine has one. They seem to be pretty good too and I would have given one serious thought if I'd found one for sale when I was on the lookout for a Tele. So I suppose I can only suggest that you try both if you haven't already and then decide. If the CVs have a bit of a hardware problem, that can always be got round. I think their stock pickups are better than the MIM.

5. BigSB

BigSB Member

Does anyone know if an '08 Mex Tele will have ceramic pickups or alnico? I used to own a Mex that I loved, but it was in the late '90s and I don't recall what it had in it; I also didn't care at the time because it sounded good to me, and I wouldn't have known there was a difference back then anyway.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Once upon a time the MIM Standard pickups were Alnico, but they've been (good) ceramics for quite some time.

Depending on amp, style of play, about Equal assumption that someone would replace either set of pickups. The new ceramics are fairly hot.

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

My favorite things about the MIM are, the neck is hefty enough (could be better) and the fretwire is a nice gauge and is made of durable stuff. Sometimes the CV fretwire will wear too fast. Also, the MIM nut material is great, can't reasonably be faulted. The CV nut material is a medium molecular weight plastic and this kind of nut, I automatically replace. Thankfully the CV nut material is so soft, it can be sawn out and removed in short order. The Cyclovac nut material of the MIM is bone dust in a pretty high weight matrix. Pretty durable stuff but without the flaws/voids pure bone can have.

The thing I like best about the CV are the stock tuning machines. Not Gotoh split quality but definitely useful. The necks are often simply gorgeous, but that's just going to frustrate a guy like me (all too thin, some models way more than others). Could make a good guitar for stashing behind a bar when you don't want to risk an expensive guitar. Another thing I love about the Classic Vibe range is how it has opened the eyes of so many people to the fact that Made in China guitars and Squiers in particular, are not all created equal. Some MIC guitars are as appalling as ever - these are not!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. TonemanCA

TonemanCA Member

I've never played the Squier you are referring to but I have played the Modern Player Fenders that are jut one step up in price and I was totally blown away. The MIM Tele will sill be worth $300 when you are done with it. I'm not sure you could get your money back on the Squier.

9. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

I have both the 50's BSB CV in pine and the CV custom and a MIM standard that I have modded. I have also owned 2 MIM Nashville tele's and a Baja. IMO the Baja was a cut above all of them but I didn't like the funky switching options. Overall I prefer the CV's to MIM standard tele's especially if you upgrade some of the hardware. The pickups are far superior on the CV's for my taste as is the wood used. I do prefer the neck profile on MIM's but not by much. As I get older (almost 64) I'm starting to enjoy slimmer necks. Easier on the arthritis. The MIM "classic" series is the best of the bunch. Far better than a standard or the CV's.

10. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

I'd say anyone after a classic tele sound would tend to switch out the ceramics first.

11. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Get the one that has the most comfortable neck for you. I prefer the finish on the MIM. If you are playing through a quality amp and speakers, you will likely have no need to swap out pickups.

12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I own a MIM La Cabronita and its a great sounding / well built guitar.
    Neck and frets were finished well.
    Never cared for the Squires I would play at GC.

13. BigSB

BigSB Member

I played a BSB CV '50s tonight at a store. Unfortunately, they didn't have my amp of choice.

The CV sounded nice, but the bridge pickup was a bit thin and bright. Also seems like the tone compressed a good bit when the amp was turned up, but that may also have been due to the nature of the circuit I was playing through ('68 Custom Princeton Reverb).

I also played a Mexican Standard. It was ok. Not great, not even better in many ways than the -$200 Squier Affinity I played the other day and loved (although, again, the amp surely mattered; that day, it was a stock '78 Vibrolux Reverb).

I played a CV through a '65 PRRI last year, and that was what made me want one in the first place. Once again, I must assume the amp mattered. Heck, I even played a CV '60s STRAT through the PRRI that sounded heavenly, and I'm definitely NOT a Strat guy.

Here's to hoping that I can bring my amp around and try these guitars through it. Right now, I'm leaning a bit towards the CV, but we shall see.

songtalk likes this.
  14. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I had a CV and could not jive with the neck. The MIM's I've picked up have had a little more meat to them. It really comes down to that, maybe?

15. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

cv all the way...there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tuners. Ive had one since 2010 and never had a problem tuning.
    they are Ping MIC, only difference to them and AVRI/Custom Shop tuners is those are made in Japan not China.

plus the CV is 100% uSA spec. every part can be swapped with any US part.

songtalk likes this.
  16. monty

monty Member

MIM for me. The CV is great bang for the buck but I don't get along with the necks.

17. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

If you can get to a store and lay your hands on both with a blindfold on this would be more interesting IMO

18. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Both are great. I change pickups on almost every guitar I get cause thats how I roll so ....

I wouldn't be worried about the exact tone.

It would all depend on which one looked cooler for me :dude

MrLahey likes this.
  19. crwilsn

crwilsn Member

I had narrowed down to the same choice when I found a used American Special. Perfect satin neck, jumbo frets, and Texas special pickups. It's a fantastic guitar right out of the box. I found 2 used ones within a couple days for $599. Cheaper than a new MiM and only $200 more than a CV.

20. BigSB

BigSB Member

Great story. Unfortunately, doesn't help a bit. The OP (me) and the post title specify $300. I wish I could afford to say I'm going to spend X and then just stretch a little and afford X+200. Not happening. :(

Happily awaiting the chance to grab my new amp, though, so :)

Starshine likes this.