MF Les Paul Jr

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TimD, Oct 16, 2005.

1. TimD

TimD Member

Has anyone checked out the LP Jr's from MF.
    Just curious as to the neck shape and build quality. I know many people are up in arms about Gibson's quality and the dealer network etc....
    I already have some killer PRSi and this guitar fills a void I have.
    I need a little P90/mahogany/wraparound/action.

Thx
    Tim

2. TimD

TimD Member

Thx for the update Travis. Well, seeing as how you are in Nashvegas and coming back into town this week, how's about you swinging over to gibson and picking up a couple for me :)
    How would the neck compare to my McCarty's? Similiar?
    I don't have any specific requirements for weight. I would hope, however that would be nicer than the Faded DC I owned.

Anyways....if anyone else has any experience, please elt me know!

Tim

3. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I owned one for a while a couple of years back. Great sounding guitar but the neck had a very boxy feel to it, not round at all like the Historics, and it was on the heavy side (9 lb). They aren't bad at all for the money but in the end I'd rather spend the extra on a Historic Jr to get a lighter more resonant guitar, the nice 50s neck, and a more "vintage correct" look. I see used Historic Jrs in mint condition in the $1100-1200 price range all the time, and eventually I plan to grab one for myself.

4. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I bought one used a while back...IMHO, fantastic for the $$, at least the one I have. Acoustically more resonant than the last historic R0 I had, decent weight, feels like a 60s neck to me. The tone is great and it's a blast to play. I'd say worth a try.

Another thing, FWIW, most guys at the LP forum seemed to speak well of this Jr.
    Greg

5. TimD

TimD Member

Thanks for all the help. This sounds like a guitar I may have to pick up. I need a little p90 action. I had a killer McSoapy that I had to sell during a period of unemployment and am looking to explore some optiions.

Tim

6. TimD

TimD Member

Boxy, hmmm well sounds like I may need to order one of these up and put it through the paces.
    I don't have too many real specific requirements, if the guitar plays and sound good with the band, then I'll keep it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Hey Travis, make sure you bring lots o' goodies when you come into town this week. We'll go out for some tasty Indian with the wives!