1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

MF Sweet honey bee overdrive vs. Tim/Timmy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dcj98gst, May 23, 2011.

1. dcj98gst

dcj98gst Member

I am on a waiting list for a TIM pedal. But the youtube vids for the honey bee sound really good. The honey bee looks more "sensitive" but the TIM seems more versitile. Has anybody owned both that can comment if the Honey bee compares well to the TIM? I play both a Strat and LP.

2. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Member

I think you're confusing some things.

There's this:
    [​IMG]

And this:
    [​IMG]

Which is sorta like this:
    [​IMG]

Which one are you asking about?

3. dcj98gst

dcj98gst Member

Lol. Sorry, the mad professor one. The SHOD.

4. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Member

Gotcha.

I've had a Timmy and a SHOD on my board for about the last 6 months. They're somewhat similar, but the Timmy has more gain and offers more EQ control, while the SHOD is more touch-sensitive. Both are generally considered to be rather "transparent" in that they don't really mess with your sound, but I find that the SHOD is bit more forward in the midrange than the Timmy. Not drastically, like a TS or something, but a bit more pronounced in the middle.

Additionally, as big a fan as I am of the toneshaping ability of the Timmy, I'd say that the SHOD probably works a bit better pushing a hot amp. It's not night and day, but the SHOD has a slight advantage — especially w/ humbuckers. I also like the 'Focus' control on the Sweet Honey. It shifts the EQ a bit, but acts sorta like a bias control in that, the higher up it goes, the more likely it is that the pedal will distort. Dialing it back means you have to really dig in to get it to drive.

Pretty darn cool.

All that said, I love the Timmy more. I'd hold off for that if it's one or the other. More than 2 years later, I'm still finding things I like about, and new ways to use it. Just wonderful.

5. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I have had all of those and a Tim. The Tim is super transparent with a nice gain range and a boost circuit. Perfect for a person happy with their sound, but needs a boost or more distortion or both with the same sound.

The MP SHOD is colored, on the bright side and is very responsive to your picking. It also runs from 9 Volts to 18 Volts for a crazy amount of headroom.

The BJFE Honey Bee is my favorite of all the pedals mentioned.

6. dcj98gst

dcj98gst Member

I probably will only have one overdrive on my board, so I think I will stick with the Tim for the versitility. Thanks for the input.

7. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Good job Nick!:YinYang

8. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member