MFD pickups in my ASAT Special are the best.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Loobster, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

Are without doubt the best sounding pickups I've ever heard. I am now a lifelong G&L fan. They are just amazing, addictive guitars. Fender won't be getting another penny of my money, that's for sure.

These pickups just nail the sound I've been looking for for so long. I can't express how stoked I am at these pickups. Now I need to find a way to get another of these guitars.

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Welcome to the club. I have many guitars, 4 of them being G&L's (2 ASAT, 2 Legacy's).

The funny thing is that the G&L's are just about the only guitars that I love the factory pickups. I keep them all stock, which is rare for me.

G&L hit a grand slam on their pickups!!! BTW: Same PUP's on USA and imports (Tribute).

Thanks Leo for giving us Fender and a improvement with G&L guitars.

3. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

I agree the pick ups on my Legacy HB especially the single coils sound really right.

4. bri237

bri237 Member

I am glad to hear you guys say that. I just bought a mid 90's USA made ASAT for 400 bucks and have never played one. Guess if you gotta pay bills gear has to go at whatever you can sell it for ...Can't wait to get it.

5. go7

go7 Member

I am a obsessive guitar improver. Caps, pots, pickups. My 2 G+L`s are totally stock in fact I`ve never taken the back cover off either. I feel anything I were to try would be a step backwards. Enjoy!

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

Same here I have two mid 90 ASAT Specials and really love the pups. In addition I've changed the pups on every Fender I've owned.

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I'm very much the same. I'll make mods on just about any non-CS Fender I have.

But, other than strap locks, I've done no mods to my G + Ls. But, I do have locking tuners on the way, for the 2 with plain Sperzels. Oh, and there's a Callaham block in one of the Comanches.

Bubbanov

8. Loobster

Loobster Member

Yup. The more I play them the more I want to play them. In fact I'm very seriously considering putting MFDs in my American Deluxe Telecaster, I bet that'd make it one hell of a lot sexier.

9. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Loobster: Only problem is that the G&L pickups are not sold aftermarket to my knowledge. If you can find them used no prob.

10. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

you can get the pickups at the G&L site I believe.

11. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I love those pickups. I used to own an ASAT with the big MFDs and I "upgraded" to the Rio Grandes. It took no time for me to put the stock pickups back in. I love G&Ls, but they tend to have thin necks and be pretty heavy, so I haven't owned one in a while. Those big MFDs rock, though!

12. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

:agree :dude I"ve got a set of MFDs in my G&L S-500 - love 'em, and the guitar too! It's the only Strat-type guitar that I gig with totally stock.

13. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I used to have an ASAT and it was the only guitar I've ever had that I left bone stock.
    A friend of mine that has heard me play a LOT of different guitars still says that's the best sounding guitar I ever had.

14. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

+1 :aok