MFX Amp/Stomp Modelers for Praise & Worship: What Are You Guys Using?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by FenderGuy53, Jan 24, 2012.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

I'm currently using a Line 6 Floor POD Plus, but I'm not thrilled with it. Not being able to "see" the parameters for my amp and stomp box models makes it very difficult to tweak on-the-fly. Plus, the realism of the models is, well, not very real.

I've heard good things about the newer Line 6 POD's, such as the XT Live, X3 Live and HD series.

What are the differences between the XTL and X3L? Are the HD's any better?

Are the limitations of the HD300 (that is, not being able to use Compressor and OD/Distortion at the same time, having to stomp two pedals to move up/down for channel select, and the quirky Smart Effects "Swoosh" knobs) a hindrance?

2. Mufaza

Mufaza Member

Depends on what you are doing. I am the lead player for my church and I use an HD500, because I need the options. If you are just doing backing rythm then I would say the 300 is okay because all you usually need in effects is some delay and dirt. If you have the money I would still go with the 500.

Sound wise I use to use an X3, but I find the HD so much more tasteful and responsive. I have a hard time using an X3 now because I am so used to using the dynamics I can get out of the HD series.

From my experience the amp sounds are the best on the HD series, than any other brand unless you splurge for the AxeFX. But that is just my opinion, it depends on what works for you. I will tell you though going for the HD series boards it is miles above the Floor POD.

3. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

I got the HD500, I like it!

Really depends on your "needs"... Check the specs. If you want the most flexibility then you need to get the HD500 for the routing options and more processing power.

Haven't really played with the XTL or X3L, but I think there are still plenty of users and people got some really good tones out of it, apparently.

If you're on a super budget, older XTL or X3L should be an upgrade, but HD500 is good too. All depends on your ear...

4. electrablue

electrablue Member

I used a X3 Live for several years. Just got a HD400 and really like it.

5. HolyMuffDiver

HolyMuffDiver Member

Anything in the HD series is going to be your best bet, I'd say. Of the current crop of modeling units, the HD holds up against the rest (miles better than some, not quite as good as others), and they aren't expensive. If price was no object, obviously go with the Axe-Fx, but honestly I don't think the sounds are worth an extra $2,500 or so for the entire setup if price is even remotely a concern. (Maybe the rest of the package is worth the cost to some — e.g., the near-limitless routing options, extra processing power, etc. — but based on sounds alone, I don't think it's ahead by $2,500, not nearly.)

I haven't tried most of the others (Eleven Rack, etc.), but I'm perfectly happy with the POD HD500. I wasn't thrilled with the XTL or the X3, but the HD is a huge leap forward.

6. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

7. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Why the HD400 and not the HD500?

Sell me on the Zoom G3.

9. electrablue

electrablue Member

The 500 was overkill for me. I only use an OD and delay and an occasional modulation so the 400 fit my needs. I never used the dual tone on the X3L either.

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

I typically use a similar setup: OD/Distortion, Chorus, Delay, Reverb. However, since I discovered the wonders of a Compressor, I never play without one now.

The HD500 would be be overkill for me, too; but you have to go there in order to use a Compressor and OD/Distortion together. :(

Hmmm...

11. electrablue

electrablue Member

I've never been much of a compressor person so it was no loss to me. I grew up playing in the 70's and it was guitar, a muff, and an amp.

12. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

i go full modeling using a podXT pro rack mount. direct to FOH and in ear monitors. i suppose an PodHD would work just as well. i have my rack unit dialed up well, only really use 2 amp models. takes tweaking but i take advantage of the pre amp, compressor, noise gate and eq.

13. rufedges

rufedges Member

I use the HD 300 for lead at Church.........I'm not much of an effects guy besides delay, so I don't need 10 patches set up so I can add flanger, phaser, etc.....as far as the 300 goes with not being able to use COMP and DIST at teh same time,.. I use the amp gain for that with a comp.....much clearer and more usable sound w/ plenty of power and bite; don't need a DIST pedal. Probably would have gone w/ a 500 if I knew the 300 would be this good, but, for what I do right now, the 300 is actually really good... only upgrade is a big one, AXE II plus floor pedal, you are looking at 3,000 plus,...but,...from the sounds I have heard, it is worth every penny. Not in my budget right now, maybe someday.

14. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Amp gain and compressor sounds like a reasonable work-around.

Sounds like you use the HD300 more as a an amp model and 3 stomp boxes. True? I am concerned about having to stomp 2 switches in order to change channels.

I'll take a closer look at the HD300. Thanks.

15. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

It's limited to 3 effects at a time, 2 if you use an amp model and certain other effects. no built in expression pedal, no loop, no stereo out from the XLR, hard to manuver live with just 3 footswitches.

No tap tempo from a foot switch

You can't switch individual effects on and off if you are in "patch select" mode without several taps and hold on the footswitches.

But, the tones this thing can produce makes you forget all the other crap !

Some of the best amp models I've heard and the chorus, delays, reverbs are wonderful!

The more exotic FX, like step filter and such, are actualy useable.

I've had and used at my church (as far as modeling gear)
    Digitech 1101
    Line 6 HD500
    Some Korg thing
    Peavey Vypyr
    Digitech RP7
    Fender Mustang III (very close second)

But I like what the G3 does the best.

At first I was disappointed with the specs of the new G5, but the more I ponder it the more I think I'll give it a try, so if you are in the market, I'd wait a bit and give the G5 a try.

16. dhbret

dhbret Member

Went from M9 and Liverpool to the G3. I tap tempo using a boss FS-5U foot switch from the control out. So versatile with great sounds. Even use the shimmer ala our friend from Sarasota. Easy to set up. Just the G3, a volume pedal, and the boss switch. I like simple.
    Bret

17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Yeah, it IS a nicely designed MFX box. Let's see what "sounds" like.

18. electrablue

electrablue Member

I use a patch cord from the FX Send to the FX Return on the HD400 and set the send about 5 - 7 dB up and kick it in as a lead boost when I need it. Works really well. Also, on the 400, it's really simple to switch patches or use it as individual stomps. You can change really quick.

Good luck on your search! :phones

19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

I'm now leaning toward the HD300 - again. The effects seem to have woodier, warmer sound, and as I understand it, the amp modeling is superb. I'd be using it mostly in "pedal mode", so the 2-switch channel changes would be minimal to non-existent. I'm also going to take the advice of another and use compressor and amp modeling, with boost/drive, when I need a light/medium crunch sound.

Whaddayathink?

20. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

+1 the g3 is absolutely fantastic for $200. I'm having so much fun with it.