MFX for bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Moe45673, May 14, 2008.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

so, like many guitar players, I play bass a lot due to availability/lack thereof of a good bassist.

I have a great guitar rig I am very proud of. I am looking for a bass rig for an experimental rock/jam/prog trio. Something along the lines of Muse..... I want the bass to be a sonic force in the band with a huge personality, to keep the sounds diverse.

As bass is not my primary focus, I'm looking for a quick fix. I do not need amp modelling.... just a healthy variety of effects. I am leaning towards an ME-50B. Willing on spending ~$500 if a given MFX pedal performs significantly better than the ME-50B. Suggestions?

(btw, I tried a Bass PodXTLive a few years back and was extremely dissatisfied with it. I returned it within the 30 day refund period I had)

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I've never been a fan of mulit-fx units. They try to do everything under the sun in a single unit for $2.99. The modeling units came closer, but everything seems to have two or three usable sounds and a host of things that prove to be utterly useless. Plus they seem to suck the tone out of my basses, even in bypass mode. And then there's the endless patch editing & naming, the virtually useless built-in tuners, the wall-wart power supplies, and compressors that sound like they were modeled near the ocean.

I might suggest an analog pedalboard so you can pick and choose what's useful and build it over time as you develop your pallette of sounds to match your songs. One or two overdrives, a bass synth pedal, and a delay pedal should get you started, then a good compressor. After that, it's mostly filtering (chorus, flange, phase shifter, wah, etc). The only downside is that you don't get the immediate gratification of a one-time purchase.

I could go on, but in the end I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other...just sharing my experiences.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge Member

If you are willing to go with some used boxes and you are a careful shopper then you should be able to get quite a range of effects for your stated budget of up to $500. What effects are you looking for?

4. Alpha Audio Works

Alpha Audio Works Member

In my experience those multi FX units delute the punch and tone of the bass ( and a guitar ). The more FX you ask those things to pile on the less INSTRUMENT you get. I think you would probably be better off seeking out and targetting a few KEY FX you're looking for ( overdrive, chorus, octave, envelope filter, phaser ) and buying individual stomp boxes. They seem to be more effect in live settings ( in my experience ). Good luck!

5. GammaTwo

GammaTwo Member

+1 to going for a few single effects pedals. More versitile and specialized. I'd even say try some of the cheaper/lower end single effects pedals. You do get what you pay for most times, but try some out and you could definitely find some affordable gold that way.

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I got the ME-50B and am quite impressed with it. Of course, I have to try it out in a band setting. Noone knows better than I the perils of bedroom vs stage tone!

I'll definitely get some pedals if I am not pleased with the unit. At the very worst, it will introduce me to which effects I'd like in a pedal.