MG Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Six Strings, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Six Strings

Six Strings Member

Does anyone have any experience with MG Pedals? These look fantastic, but with so few dealers stocking them it is hard to get a chance to play them. I am particularly interested in the Crunsh and Creamy. Thanks a lot.

2. Paulo Grua

Paulo Grua Member

I just bought the The Drive from them - I'm in love with this little drive/fuzz!
    Seems really well built, good footswitch and all.
    About the sound, I can't say much because I have no previous experience with fuzzes, except with a Big Muff. But, to my ears, it's very musical and dynamic, and the tone is exactly what I was after.

The only negative point to me is that the painting is kinda fragile - when I took off the price tag glued to the pedal, part of the paint came together, wich pretty upsetted me. But I bought it second hand, so I don't know if this is something usual or not.
    Their customer support is really good (something hard to find here in Brazil), too.

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Their delay is a direct ripoff of the GGG AD3208 analog delay. A lot of their pedals are very expensive for what I believe are essentially assembled from GGG board designs.

4. Paulo Grua

Paulo Grua Member

Their price range in Brazil was way too high in the begining - thanks to the hype they got locally. But today they have a more competitive price tag, but I can see the price didn't change at all in the international retailers.

The rumors about they being copy of GGG designs and others (Big Muffs, Red Lama...) created some discussion over the forums here, and I think it did bring the prices down. I think they really, as lots of other makers, take on famous designs, and add something of their own. Or maybe, they don't add nothing at all (or not enough).

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

There is nothing wrong with cloning. The problem was that they were taking copyrighted layouts from other companies and using them in their pedals without permission.

6. Paulo Grua

Paulo Grua Member

Well, if that's the case, it is really wrong, and a shame.
    Do you know if the "The Drive" pedal is ripping another design? Or is it something more of a 'original' lay-out?

I really don't know much about fuzzes, so, even playng one, I can't compare it to any other (except Muffs style - that Im used to for some time).

7. Six Strings

Six Strings Member

This really is outrageous if this is the case. How do we know this? It shows how marketing can spin something. Glad I asked.

8. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

I have a 'The Drive' I think it's a great sounding pedal I believe it is a hybrid of TS9 and Fuzz Face. I'm actually looking to trade it off as I just got a Keeley BD2 so if your interested then please chech the add in the Emporium.