MGV from GGG (Marshall Guv'nor replica). Love it!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Alejandro, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I Would like to share this folks. The MGV from General Guitar Gadgets is an outstanding pedal. True Bypass and comes with an extra switch that tweak the diodes for extra gain

I can handle several sounds: crunch, soft overdrive or high gain distortion
    I use to have The MIE Guv'nor, DriveMaster and Shredmaster and I may say without hesitation that this kit is the winner.

Even at high-gain settings, the noise is bearable and it is much less fizzy than the original one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

I've been looking at that kit too from GGG. A few questions:
    - How are the high gain sounds compared to, say, your Crunchbox?
    - How flexible is the 3-band EQ?

3. Alejandro

I use to have the CB V1 and now I have the crunch box V2, and I 've read from several users that is essentially a Guvnor. I don't think so. I don't own a JCM800 but a closer friend own one that I use very often. The CB sounded nothing like this JCM800

The Guv'nor or this MGV replicate very well the vintage JCM800 tones, the CB goes beyond with much more distortion but sounds more 80's modern distortion..Van Halen maybe?

In this MVG I also find more midrange bite and seems to be less fizzy than the CB and the 3-band EQ is VERY flexible, enough to make up for any sound

4. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I've built the GGG MGV also. It's a very nice and versatile pedal; I second your thoughts. I'm very happy with mine. How do you get those nice graphics? I've just been using Sharpies, but that's pretty sloppy.

5. rockford

rockford Member

Thinking about getting one also, can you guys elaborate: does the extra
    three way switch really add something good ? are the sounds distinctively different, add depth, texture , etc. ?

6. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

Being that the crunch box is a modded Guvnor, you can mod the guv'nor to get the gain of the CB if you want. Plus, you get a 3-band EQ, something the CB doesn't have.

7. Alejandro

Geee..If I only could..I really wish...but I am clumsy :jo

I am unable to do anything like this. I have a huge fear of ruined everything. I don't have any prior knowledge of basic electronic or soldering. I don't have patiente either.

So I bought it pre-built from GGG. I found it by chance in Miscellaneous category. Never seen before, maybe just waiting for me :)

8. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

I may have to order one while they are still on sale. I got the ITS8 from them and im more than happy. I have owned a ton of tube screamers before and this one is the best. Well worth the price of the kit. I also bought the mod kit and did all the mods. Here is a pic of my build:
    [​IMG]

9. Alejandro

It's two way switch and I guess that not really add more distortion, I just notice different texture. Might be for symmetrical - asymmetrical, not sure

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

...hmmm I was looking at this kit too - gonna finally break down and build something :eek:
    How well do the mods 'mod' ??