MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Baker4, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Baker4

Baker4 Member

Has anyone heard an update on this pedal recently? I see on the MI Audio site that the parts were due in mid-January...just wondering if he's leaked any sort of expected release date.

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Waiting patiently myself!! :)

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I think he said something in a thread about the Crunch Box that he was still messin with the prototyp board, and if everything was cool he was going to send that off to make a bunch of production boards. So It's going to be a while.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

4. erksin

erksin Member

I thought I'd read a post here about it not being released until sometime in June..?

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I spoke to Mike late last week and he said he's just waiting on the pc boards to arrive,
    Should be available late April.

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

Since my post on this was lost... I'll resurrect this one.

I got mine at the Dallas Guitar Show. It is great. Incredibly versatile for low to medium gain. I love having the midrange and character knob....

All I want to know now is what chips could I mess around with and what would they sound like?

7. erksin

erksin Member

I use an LM833N in mine. It keeps the basic tonality, but 'opens' it up a little more - less compression, a little more sparkle.

8. VanStone

VanStone Member

I swapped in a Burr Brown OP2604AP, and it's incredible. Tightens up the bass, and adds a tone much like asymmetrical clipping to the upper mids and highs. With the 4558D I would characterize the BBD as moderately uncompressed. With the BB 2604 chip the BBD becomes very uncompressed and dynamic. Highly recommended! :AOK

V

9. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

Got it. Tried it. Got a Barber Small Fry. Sold the BBD ASAP. It was not a bad pedal, quite flexible and I always like good things in small packages. I found it hard to balance the top & bottom end as it only has the one tone control that boosts bass when you cut treble and visa versa. Not a really transparent pedal either. Sounded somewhat muffled. Now the Small Fry - WOW. I am an admitted fan of Bave Barber's pedals and this is his best to date. It covers a lot of ground and no matter what I do it still sounds like my guitar & amp. Cool sparkle red too.

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I received one from Brad at Tone Factor almost a month ago {he's a great guy to exchange with} and it instantly impressed me. It's the new OD to top for low to mid gain tones. My favorite TS based pedal ever. I almost always goose it with a Hotcake and I think those two pedals together can cover it all - with mucho gratifying results. New Zealand's got it in the water, folks. Anyway, I set it to mimic a Valco-esque tone to beef up single coils for a nice old school grind. It's a winner and responds well to picking dynamics.

11. carltonh

carltonh Member

Sounds like you are talking about something else. There is not only the "one" tone knob, but the midrange, bright, and character knobs that all affect and balance the top and bottom, and it can be super transparent at the right settings if the gain isn't set too high.

12. erksin

erksin Member

Did you crack it open and mess with the trim pots? Lots more tones to be had out of this box than TS sounds.

13. Bluewail

If you mean the Blues Boy Deluxe, all the adjustments are on top with the Deluxe version, and yes, I tweaked them with appropriate enthusiasm. I found the character control not to my taste, turning things to mud as it turned up, so I just kept it off. The bright control adds brightness - kept that almost off also. The mid control is well voiced and can go from scooped to tweedy to TS very effectively. The tone control was annoying in that set at flat, the pedal is a bit dull but dialing it up REALLY rolls off the bass quickly. Nevertheless it was a very nice sounding pedal - just somewhat veiled.

If you were commenting on the Small Fry - yep I've been tweaking away. I prefer the lower Note Shape settings, tiny bit of a bass & mid boost and a bit of a rollback on the presence control. The voicing switch on top I have at the mid setting which I find is the most open. There are a huge variety of tones in this pedal and I've not found a bad one yet.
    I already own a Timmy, a Zendrive and a Direct Drive (and have had a absurd # of other OD's). For my needs, the Timmy is the bomb for low gain bluesy boost. The Zen covers the super-smooth middle ground. I was looking for something with a more gain, low compression, high transparency and enough tweakability to work with different rigs. The Small Fry nails those fusion style tones - think older Robben tone - just as I wanted. It also does a very good job covering what the Zen & Timmy do best which is great if I want a grab & go pedal to cover a lot of ground in one pedal.
    So off went the little blue pedal and in comes the (appropriately) Swiss Army Knife Sparkle Red one.

14. fatback

fatback Member

I'm tottally digging my Blues Boy Deluxe. Hands down the most versatile TS9 variant I've tried. Those little dials are really useful. Using my BBD, I've been able to great sounds out of three totally different rigs. I do prefer running it with the gain over noon. It has a bunch of thick, chewy gain on tap and can easily exceed an SD-9's amount of gain. A keeper for me.

15. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I placed my 'last of the originals' Blue Boy on ebay a few hours after receiving it. I played one in a store a few years ago and remembered liking the sound, but at home I felt the drive killed a lot of the dynamics of my tone. Lot of scope to refine the sound of the peal, but twas to dull/generic sounding.

16. carltonh

carltonh Member

I guess I might agree that for the gain past noon, it can get generic sounding, but there is so much to the range less than that, and that setting is about equal to a Tube Screamer on max.

It might be interesting if some of the other chips make it sound better for higher gain. So I guess I can also see if Bluewail was looking for the BBD to fill a spot higher in gain than the Zendrive, he might not have loved it. However, I NEVER set the bright below noon, or the character above it, so I don't think he would have a good tone with the bright "almost off."

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Excatly what I was thinking!

18. gushtone

gushtone Member

I have an early original Blue Boy and it was always a real pain in the a** to get it dialed in. That said, running it at 18 volts it kicks some serious booty. I use it all the time and love the big fat higher gain settings.

So I just got my BB Deluxe and I really like it. to me, it immediately sounded more open, and that's at 9 volts. It's also the only way to go for tweakability. I easily dialed in a great tone and have been using it with my Timmy, and a new model Crunch Box to get the shades I 'm looking for.

On a somewhat related note, I also bumped my AnalogMan SUnface for a MI Audio Neo recently. I will see if it lasts. It's pretty cool and gets me alot of Germanium Mojo with tweaks to be had. But it's not a Fuzz Face.
    Peace...

19. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

Well I just got my BBD today, and I'm really liking it! I admittedly don't have a ton of experience with this kind of pedal, but compared to the ones I HAVE used, I love the sound. I find all the tone controls make quite a bit of difference and I can tweak from a warm tone, to a bright bite with a ton of harmonics if I want them. I like the level of compression as it comes out of the box. I'm actually running my Line6 compressor AFTER this box to really give a great sustain to the BBD sound. Definite 2 thumbs up as far as I'm concerned!
    :JAM

20. Bluewail

Heah, I was hoping that it would fit over the Zen gain-wise and in that respect, perhaps I didn't give it a fair shot as a low gain contender. But it was bright running at noon on the gain knob unless I put the tone below noon. If I did put the tone below noon, the bass got boomy and undefined. All consistent with trying to push too much gain out of the wrong box.:rolleyes: