MI Audio Blues Pro and Musictoyz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanR, Jan 25, 2006.

1. DanR

DanR Member

Last Thursday, I ordered a MI Audio Blues Pro from Musictoyz. I called ahead to confirm that the pedal was in stock and was told it was. Later that day, I checked the tracking code on the Musictoyz site and the status was shipped. The next day, I received a UPS tracking number. On the UPS site, I found that, indeed, the item was in their system with a delivery date of 1/25. Since then, I've followed the package from Maine to Massechusetts to New York to Ohio and finally, to Michigan. And sure enough, today, 1/25, it was delivered.

So based on only this one experience, all I can say about Musictoyz is, "Great experience, it worked for me." :AOK

Now on to the pedal. I only played with it for a little over half an hour. I played it mostly with my P90 Les Paul Special through my TopHat Club Royale. I was very impressed with the pedal's sound. There's quite a bit more gain than my Barber Direct Drive. There also seems to be quite a lot of range in the tone control. With the gain maxed and the tone past halfway, I don't see me ever needing a fuzz pedal. There were great sounds all through the range of the drive control. Other benefits are the small footprint, which takes up less space on the pedalboard and the small price which leaves more cash in my wallet. At $89 it's a great bargain, IMHO anyhow.

Originally, I was looking for a boost pedal for my Strat to make it more meaty sounding. But it seems like a lot of the popular boost pedals cost as much as a lot of boutique overdrive pedals. At home, I use my Boss SD-1 for a boost, but even at the lowest drive setting, it's not very clean. Then last week, just on the spur of the moment, I tried my Barber Direct Drive as a clean boost, and darned if it didn't work just great. With a tone control to boot. So I figured I'd pick up another overdrive pedal and use the DD as a clean boost on my pedalboard. Even though I've been happy with the DD as an OD on the pedalboard, this gave me the opportunity to sample a different flavor OD. I'd read nothing but good reviews on the Blues Pro and the price was certainly right. So the DD becomes the boost on my pedalboard and the Blues Pro will be the OD and I'm now a happier camper. By the way, though, I didn't care for the sound of the Blues Pro when using it as a boost for the Strat. No big deal to me, though.

Unfortunately, my funds are getting low, especially since I got laid off a few weeks ago (one of the 'lucky' 500 that got hit at the GM Tech Center), because if they weren't, I'd probably buy a second Blues Pro, just for the house, as I sometimes keep my pedalboard at the venue I'm gigging at for 2 weeks at a time. Or, I could even see using 2 of them on the pedalboard for varying degrees of OD, especially since it takes up so little space.

The Blues Pro is that good :dude

DanR

2. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Everything Michael makes is amazing...
    I have a prototype of an upcoming pedal that will make you giggle like a little girl...LOL
    Called the Crunch Box....
    I think Ed D has one too...
    Michael blows away all the competition IMHO....
    I've since sold almost all my retardedly overpriced so-called great boutique pedals(Klon,Tim,RC,AC, Etc Etc...)
    His pedals work beautifully with every amp I've ever used them with...
    No need to buy completely overpriced junk based on their rareness...
    When it comes to performance, MI Audio is in the lead...
    Steve

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

WOW, what a statement about the TIM. Dont you know they are only $150 direct from Paul? Pedals out of stock usually are out of stock for a reason arent they? Yes MI audio definately makes nice pedals though.

4. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

:AOK

I like the straight talking forumites who speak from experience, not labels. I also like that MI could easily make a lot more money off his gear but chooses not to be greedy, so the average player has access to his excellent pedals. It was Australia Day yesterday where 'Australian of the Year' was awarded. I might nominate MI next year.:cool:

5. jeak

jeak Member

I'd say the same of PaulC.

+1 for MI.

6. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Gotta agree here, I tried the Crunch Box prototype at the Dutch Distributor a couple of weeks ago and it was AWESOME thru a Heritage Colonial. I also played the Tube Zone and Blues Pro thru a Bruno was amazing results. I'm seriously GASsing for the MI Audio pedals. I hope to check out his fuzz pedals soon because I'd buy the lot if they are as good as the others :cool:

7. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

I'm glad you are digging it, though I am surprised to hear you say that you wouldn't need a fuzz. I think that gives off the wrong impression of what this pedal is capable of delivering, though of course tone is a subjective thing. But I think of fuzzes as being meaty and gritty or buzzy, while I don't think that really applies to the Blues Pro relatively speaking.

It is a great pedal for what it is, and for the price it can't be beat. I just found it to be too compressed no matter where I set the tone or gain. 3 years ago, this would have been JUST the pedal I was looking for. Too bad it wasn't around then. But now I guess my tastes have changed and I am digging a Direct Drive I picked up. But seriously, I do give the MI Blues Pro serious respect and it's cool that it is offered at such a ridiculously low price. Hat's off to Michael.

8. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

You didn't find the different chips made a difference to the level of compression?

The standard chip it comes with (ie TS style) would seem to be the most compressed. I like a more open OD too, so I'm gunna have to try the different chips.

9. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

Uh, yeah of course I tried different chi....eh, I didn't try any different chips :jo . I don't know why I didn't think of that seeing how I read all these posts about chip changing on these forums. Well for now I am digging my Direct Drive. The only annoying thing is I like the DD with the tone pulled up for the "harmonic" qualities, leaving the tone knob ackwardly sticking up all the time (just a weird peeve). Plus I have a Timmy on the way at some point :AOK

10. DanR

DanR Member

I didn't mean to imply that the Blues Pro is fuzzy or buzzy. I really just meant that, with the gain maxed and the tone control more on the treble side, the pedal was as close to a fuzz pedal as I care to get. I'm not a fuzz pedal guy. I just found that the range of the drive control produced sounds from just on the brink of break up to full out OD/distortion and everything in between.

There I go gushing again :jo :D

DanR

11. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

If you want to leave it up all the time, you can put a small plumbing washer under it. Works great.

12. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I wouldn't call my TIM "a retardedly overpriced so-called great boutique pedal". :rolleyes: It has more features and is more versatile than a Blues Pro or Crunch Box. So, I think it's little higher price is justified. On the other hand Timmy costs about the same as the mentioned MI Audio Pedals. I'd compare Timmy ($99) to those pedals what comes to price and features.

By the way, is the Crunch Box very different from the Tube Zone?? I have a TZ and like it a lot, but I think it has quite a bit of compression going on and it sounds pretty smooth. Which is nice to compliment the TIM and Timmy I have. Does the Crunch Box have the same smoothness or is it more "grainy" heavy od/dist?

13. Taylor Daly

Taylor Daly Member

Ive got a blues pro on the way. I debated back and forth between it and the Blue Boy Deluxe and opted for the BP. We shall see...im excited to run it with my RC Booster.

14. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I found the BBD to lack harmonic complexity.

And I hardly think the TIM is "retardedly over-priced".

15. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yup....

Still digging, gigging and recording with mine, big time....

16. jhx

jhx Supporting Member

I had the MI Blues Boy nice pedal well made, didn,t work for me!I have a TIM pedal on order Paul is one of the most down to earth guys i,v e talked to. And pedals are priced within reason. I also Bought a Crunch Box, so i,m open to different pedal maker,s. last time I went to Baskin Robbin,s they had even more then 32 flavors. Get tired of vanilla, although it,s always good. Same with pedal,s, some are alway,s good.Also they all work differently to some degree with different Amp,s And Guitars. Just some of my Opine yon.Rob.