MI Audio Blues Pro opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lt_Core, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I'm considering the Blues Pro as a light OD/Tubescreamer-esque pedal. I had been using my OCD v4 for light-med. gains but recently found a killer HP heavier tone. I was considering a second OCD but ran across the Blues Pro.

Seems to be pretty versatile and full sounding. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

2. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

awesome pedal, and the fuzz feature is IMHO really nice. Great sounds!

3. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Next to my Lovepedal FAB50 (pre-COT50) I love the sound of the Blues Pro with a strat and RI Bassman! Very nice lo-mid OD.

The MI Audio Blues Boy Deluxe is probably more versaitle but has some compression. I use it alot with a Tele.

4. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

And The Blues Pro doesn't? That's exactly why I sold it. Great tone but was more compressed than I like.

5. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

hmmm...I think the Blues Pro is very open sounding. At least in my rig.

6. Lt_Core

I've also heard that the BBD was a lot more compressed and the Blues Pro was more open.

500th post, too ;)

Like I need to spend more money on gear. LOL!

7. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Maybe I should revisit that one. I thought the tone was really sweet but a little compressed. I was probably running at higher gain settings too. How do/did Y'all run Yours?

8. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

The Blues Pro has been my main OD now for half a year and will be hard pressed to leave my board anytime soon. This is EASILY one of the most, if not THE most versatile light/med ODs I've EVER used. It works great boosted, with other pedals or alone. Give it a shot, if you don't like it, I'll pick it up from ya!

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'm on the fence right now about the Blues Pro, but I definitely don't want a Tubescreamer-type OD like the Blue Boy Deluxe. I've already been that route.

BTW, I'm closing in on 500 myself. Since October too. Man, I need to get a life.
    :jo Maybe I'll rent out Madison Square Garden and throw a party to celebrate.

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Sorry, I meant to do a separate thread.

11. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I jammed with a friend last night and found myself using my original version Blues Pro (no fuzz switch) a lot more than my OCD v3. And I thought I wasn't a big fan of TS-based overdrives! I have to say, I've been through a lot of smooth medium-gain Dumblesque-style ODs (including Zendrive, RH Eternity, GSR, and others), and I think the Blues Pro does a great job at that type of sound. It's somewhat compressed, but this does help give it a nice singing quality. But you can control it with your touch. It's more dynamic than a stock TS-9/808 for sure. I really like how there's no loss of low end, and the tone control is very effective for dialing just the right amount of high end. You can make the highs cut through, but still sound sweet and not ice-picky.

The Blues Pro is probably one of the very best deals going for a very affordable pro-sounding (thus its name) od pedal. I think I'll be using mine a lot more than I have lately.

Details:
    I replaced the stock JRC4558 chip with an LM1458, which I think makes a big improvement. There's more clarity and definition, but still plenty of bass and mids for a fat tone.
    I used a PRS McCarty with Fralin HB's. On the BP, I had the gain set at around 1:00, tone around 10:00 or 10:30, and the volume set for slight boost over unity gain. Nice articulate blues/rock tone.

12. mewithoutlouie

mewithoutlouie Member

Amazing pedal, and for the price you can't beat it. I think it's a tad bit noisy, but in a full band setting it's not even worth mentioning.

13. Snakum

Snakum Member

One of the things I didn't care for on the original Blues Boy was the compression, since it was not really 'better' than the Monkey, with respect to noise, compression, tone suckage, etc. Sounds like a Blues Pro is a different animal. Is there plenty of low end, though, and is the pedal relatively tweakable?

I am leary of pedals without two tone controls, even though the MojoDrive recently surprised me (one tone pot ... no low end loss, very eq'able).

14. Lt_Core

15. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Tried one from a friend and the low end was amazing. Very thick, actually boosted some lows but in a very good way, not flabby. The additional fatness slightly reminded me of the Klon. I don't like TS's but I loved this pedal, got one in the mail right now.

16. bungalowbill

bungalowbill Member

The Blues Pro has a very usable single tone control...I use it and a Bad Monkey...The Pro is for medium gain and the Monkey is very light gain with a touch of volunme boost.

17. Lt_Core

Does the Blues Pro clean up well? React well to playing dynamics?

18. echorama

echorama Member

Australian for dirt baby!

Over the years I've had a handful of light-med OD's

Original & reissue TS9s, reissue 808, 2 different TS10's, Boss OD-3 (highly under rated & my fav over the counter OD), Menatone Foxy Brown, Original DOD 250, Roger Mayer Voodoo-1, FD2 (more hype than mojo for me, but damn well made)

I currently have a handful of MI Audio pedals & I am loving these things.

I find that the blues pro has very little compression, reacts beautifully to picking dynamics, stacks w/ other ODs / distortions well & cleans up nicely w/ the guitars volume. Useful tone control, small, true bypass. fuzz option.

Low gain sounds great as well as higher up on the gain dial.

Gigged w/ it for about a year so far w/ an LP & a strat into a pair of HotRod Deville 2x12s

I'm not sure what else I could possibly ask for in this category & its price point is sweet.

We have a keeper folks.

Had a crunchbox also. Sounds very good but not enough low end for me.
    I replaced it w/ a TubeZone. Problem solved & tone improved.
    Between the TZ & Blues Pro my drive is set.

19. Lt_Core

Thanks for the info! I just sold a Crunchbox...same issue. No low end...couldn't stand it. Paypal balance is burning a hole in my pocket...LOL! I think with my OCD v4, a Blues Pro and my Rivera's OD channel I'll be good for awhile ;)

20. DSmith

DSmith Member

I have the Blues Pro and Tube Zone on my board as the only dirt pedals, they cover a huge range of styles and tones and are both dynamic. Another thing Australia has is Kinmans. They make clean-up/dynamics even more possible, and his volume kit can be installed on traditional single coils to help clean-up too.

The Tube Zone has replaced the Crunch Box for me as well. Sounds more convincing to me.