MI Audio Boost n Buff users:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DGDGBD, Jun 5, 2008.

1. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I just picked one of these up, and was curious about where folks use it in the chain. After a little internet research, I came across a few basic ideas:

1) not good to use in front of digital effects;
    2) not good to use in front of a fulldrive or similar overdrive pedal.
    3) good to put after a run of TB pedals or pedals with a crappy buffer to help bolster the signal.
    4) big difference between 9v and 18v operation?
    5) folks seem to like it either at the very start or end of the chain.

My chain is as follows; Tremolo=>Vox-wah=>fulldrive II=>boss CE2=>BYOC Delay=>Digitech Reverb. I used to have a boost (MXR microamp) between the fulldrive and CE2, but was thinking maybe better to use the BnB at the very end of the chain if the above points are valid. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Supporting Member

One thing I noticed is when it is placed before an overdrive it adds more drive but after an overdrive it boosts the volume. At least that's what I hear.

3. gibson60

gibson60 Member

I did not like my BnB right after my fulldrive but do like it before my fulldrive. to each his own...

4. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I played around with this extensively. What I ended up with was a switchable buffer after wah, envelope and compressor, and then using the BNB at the end of my signal chain as something all my effects "feed" into. It serves as a final line driver/solo boost and just makes everything louder. It effectively also stops my signal chain from load after it meaning that my inital cable and board wiring is all that is there. I tried it first also, and I wanted only a switchable buffer in front of my od's, etc.

One caveat.. I have played around with putting it before my chorus, delay, etc.. BUT... since I have all old boss type pedals for it, it doesn't sound right. This MAY not be the case with different pedals.

5. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I used mine just before my OD's so I could push them that little bit harder. In the studio, I used it to push my amp into drive.

Killer pedal, it just does so much . .

6. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

After some experimenting it sounds best to me using the same placement as i had my microamp - after my Fulldrive II and before the chorus, delay and reverb.