MI Audio Boost 'n' Buff

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DocRock, Oct 4, 2006.

1. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Anybody tried it? I did a search and couldn't find anything, but I am interested in putting a buffer early in my signal chain on my board to try and compensate for some of that true-bypass / capacitance / tone-suckage.

So, anybody tried it yet? If so, your thoughts? Seems like a great pedal, especially for the price. I really like Michael's stuff, and that is one of the many reasons. Good quality, good prices. I know this model is brand new, so I wasn't sure if anybody would have bought it or posted about it yet.

Cheers,

Doc :)

2. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Curious too. All his stuff sounds so great, and priced like it's on sale. :)
    Greg

3. el34power

el34power Member

Hi stuff is addictive i have the Tube zone, Crunch box, Blues pro. I already have 3 pedals that are probably in the same ballpark as the BnB(chili picoso, Crystal boost LPB clone). But i will still get one. I just have too.:crazyguy

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah - just love that MI Audio stuff, and the simplicity of that pedal really appeals to me.

The new Tube Zone & BluesBoy Deluxe have too many knobs for my taste (not a twiddler/tweaker) but my old-style (no extra switches or trimmer controls) BluesPro & CrunchBox are my 'go-to' "set & forget" overdrive & distortion pedals.

But I've got so many variations on the *clean* and/or gritty booster pedal, I'll need to hear some clips before clearing some space on the board for the Boost'n'Buff..

So..

..Clips???

5. el34power

el34power Member

no you don't:AOK

6. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

I've got one on the way and I'm hoping it will be here before I have to leave Friday for some out-of-town gigs this weekend. If I get a chance to use it this weekend, I'll post a review early next week.

FWIW, a clean boost is the only pedal I use with a Guytron GT-100 and a 2x12 cab. Because of the way this amp works, I can set the A channel for mild overdrive and I roll the volume knob down on the guitar for cleaner tones. The booster is used with this channel to give me a slightly gainier and "bigger" sound for certain lead tones. The B channel of the Guytron covers the heavier rock style leads.

7. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Yeah, that's a good application. HUGE FAN of the Guytron stuff here. Probably my favorite amp of all time. Love to get one when I get the dough.

Looking forward to your review!!!

Doc :)

8. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I have one and I love it, the buffer is excellent and the boost is great as well. Probably the best pedal I've ever heard boosting the front end of a cranked Marshall (2203).

Cheers,

CJ

9. el34power

el34power Member

OK FINE. I ordered one!:jo Man this is my 4th MI audio:dude

10. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

MI Audio pedals are my favorite, very addictive! I have a Crunchbox (1st version), Blues Pro and Boost n' Buff. Soon I'll have a Tube Zone, Blue Boy Deluxe and the 2nd version Crunchbox. :D

Cheers,

CJ

11. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

OK, I've gigged the BnB at 5 or 6 gigs now and the verdict is that it's staying - I sold my RC Booster.

Strat (Lollar Tweeds neck/middle, Blonde bridge) => BnB => Guytron GT-100 / Avatar 2x12 w/Clelestion Classic Lead 80s. The BnB was powered by two 9v alkaline batteries.

I set it at unity gain and alternately engaged and bypassed it to see what might be happening with the tone when it was on. At first it sounded flat but after listening really closely, it sounded like the bass and mids stayed pretty flat and neutral but I detected a very slight bump in the upper frequencies. I've played a couple of really flat boosters and they didn't work for me. As I turn up a boost, the lower frequencies become more pronounced (Fletcher-Munson?) so having a little extra presence makes great sense and serves to balance out some of that low end boost so it stays clear.

For my uses, I didn't have to turn it past 12:00 in a live situation. But of course I did just to see what would happen. It definitely started to emphasize the upper frequencies more once I got past 12:00. But from about 3:00 on, I found it to be too edgy for my tastes. Fortunately, since this thing has an incredible amount of gain, I didn't have to turn it up anywhere near that much and 11:00 - 12:00 was sufficient.

I found that my tone did shift a bit but in a good way. It got a little bigger and fuller sounding but had that little bit of zing on the top end so it still remained clear. This worked particularly well with my low output single coil pickups when I did single note stuff as it helped fatten the tone a bit but it didn't get woofy. Now, I'm not saying it sounds like the Klon Centaur, but the BnB seems to work in a similiar manner where it kind of added a little something that enhanced and slightly filled out my tone but didn't take it over.

I guess the buffer part is working but with only 2 Canare GS-6 cables (total 30 feet) between the guitar and amp, I don't think I was suffering too much signal loss anyway. But it sure isn't hurting anything being there either!

I really like this one a lot.

12. el34power

el34power Member

Thanks for the review.. I find myself using it after my crunch box. I set it at 25% just to add that missing "zing" to the already great crunch box.
    I then kick in the Tube zone for solos....:dude

Am i soild on MI....:RoCkIn

13. sandman

sandman Member

hey El34,

how does it compare to SCP?

14. el34power

el34power Member

haven't done a side by side yet....will do that soon