Mi Audio Crunch Box first impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

My Crunch Box arrived yesterday. I got to play with it for a few hours through my Flexi 50. It's about the same size as my Timmy pedal. As soon as I plugged it up, I started twisting knobs in every direction. One thing is for sure about this pedal, it can get freaking loud if needed to be. I have it set up at 9:30 Volume, 9:00 tone and 9:30 distortion with the Flexi set pretty clean. This just fits my setup really well, but will change from day to day.:dude

Anyway..... I pulled up a few mp3's to jam along to (Hendrix, Michael Landau, Eric Johnson, Van Halen, AC/DC and some Yngwie Malmsteen). Van Halen, AC/DC and Malmsteen wasn't that hard to achieve at all. This pedal really nails that sorta tone. I put on Michael Landau's "Big Bulge" live version and got pretty darn close. The high end really nails that hairy Plexi sound. I let my room-mate hear the pedal and asked what he would describe the tone as..... he said very peachy. I was like yea... it's real furry. lol

It has Plenty of gain on tap. Any amount of distortion Van Halen would use is pretty easy to capture. Thats a lot of gain in my opinion. Lower the mids on the amp and you can nail a really good hard/heavy rock tone "Alice N Chains" and so on.

This pedal is worth the money big time. I use to own a ToneBone Hot British pedal, this bad boy is so much better in my opinion. It has more gain and a more amp like tone. The tonebone was just to smooth sounding, The Crunch box really captures the essence of a cranked plexi with a good treble booster in front of it.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Thanks for the report, that just makes my wait that much harder........... but should have mine in a couple of days and will chime in as well!

Quick question for you how well does it react to you guitars volume knob?

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Not bad at all. I will admitt I have played a lot of other pedals that cleaned up better, but it still does a good job.

4. RickB

RickB Member

Thanks for the report. I am glad to hear that it replaced your Hot British. I have been searching for a pedal that will do that for me and I have high hopes of the Crunch Box. I have tried others and nothing has really gotten close.

Just curious, where did you order your CB from? I have one on order but the dealer hasn't gotten them yet.

5. jlagrassa

Rick I ordered mine direct from MI Audio!

6. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I've got one incoming from Michael as well, & it should be here any day. I ordered mine a week ago, direct from MI Audio on Wed, 2/8, & I think it's a week to 10 days to get to the states. I'll chime in with tone reports after I've tried it out.

7. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to your report too. I'm hoping you'll post some clips too! :)

We have close to the same sound (strat into a Blackface). I'm still looking for a nice hard rock pedal.

Lution

8. drolling

drolling Member

So this puppy turns a bf fender into a marshall? I've heard that one before..

Guess I've got to try one for myself...

9. jlagrassa

At the moment I'm using a Tonebone classic for the heavy stuff I find it works excellent into a BF type amp and Tweed, I'm hoping the Crunch Box works out so I can reduce the size of my pedalboard by taking the TB Classic off.......... so far I have high expectations of the CB!

10. RickB

RickB Member

That is my main reason too. I would like a normal size pedal that can be powered by my PP2. Plus the Hot British is pretty noisy.

11. carltonh

carltonh Member

If you have the tone on 9:00 and it is still hairy like Van Halen, then it sounds like it is significantly more raw/aggressive than the V-Stack Classic. The V-Stack Classic is quite smooth unless the cut is set quite low. Anyone compared both? (Not that either characteristic is bad.)

12. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I ordered mine direct as well.

The High-end is very well pronounced. I keep my Flexi with enough highs for that clean sparkle, but I have more of a deep sound than most. If one cranks the tone knob on the pedal there is a great amount of highs. So I keep the pedal with a pretty neutral sound. It has a pretty aggressive tone compared to the ultra smooth creamy sound a lot of these newer pedals have. This thing has an amp like tone. The high-end really has that Plexi sound.

Someone spoke about the Tonebone having noise issues. Well, the Crunch Box has some noise when cranked/pushed, but what would one expect from a highgain peal. The gain around halfway is enough for any rocker in my opinion.

13. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Is the CB an oamp (chip ) based pedal or mosfet.

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The clips on the MI site sound very midrangey to me. Any thoughts on the midrange tone? Also how's the bass response: rolled off, wooly, tight or some other adjective that might give us an idea.

15. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Is this the type of pedal you'd buy if you like the distortion of your amp or is it mainly if you have a clean amp and want to get all your distortion from your pedal?

16. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I'd like to know too.

17. drolling

drolling Member

Check out jlagrassa's clip on the other 'crunchbox' thread. Strat into a clean fender deluxe - sounds like a dimed marshall stack