MI Audio Crunch Box ??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by A440, Dec 12, 2005.

1. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

haven't been intrigued by many pedals lately, but Ed D's clips sounded great!

I checked out the MI site. from what I understand, these just starting to ship.

tell me more about this pedal :dude

any pics ? sounds a bit like my old 80's rat (good)

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I will have to check that out!

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have 4 Mi Audio pedals John.. I have the original Tube Zone, the Blue Boy , a Prototype Blue Boy (I think) , and 1 of Donner and his PLEXI Crunch pedals made for the Tsunami Auctions. The best is the prototype.. Isn't that wierd.. That's a KILLER overdrive that sounds dumblish , and notes explode off of it. The Plexi Crunch pedal is awesome for full-out plexi full gain sounds, but doesn't clean up as well, and doesn't work with any gain on amps as well. I don't think it's the same as his new Crunch pedals, but it's worth asking. If so , I way overpaid, but at least it was for the Tsunami victims benefit!!! He makes great pedals of all kinds. I'm a bit different than you though , in I have probably 30 overdrive, or distortion ,or boost pedals kicking around ,and I hate selling pedals I love!

ERIC

4. les_paul_strat

les_paul_strat Member

what is the web site with the clips

5. ericb

MI's is http://www.miaudio.com/ but Ed's clips he's referring to are on this Gear Page soundclips page.. They weren't any better than any other clip Ed has every made though ... Hate to say it! ;) Just my opinion

ERIC

6. erksin

erksin Member

It's not supposed to start shipping until late December per Michael's site. No clips up yet - save for Ed D's in the Soundclips section here.

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

Ed's a great player, but IMHO I don't think he's a good resource for pedal clips. To his credit, guy can make anything sound good ... and fit into his own unmistakable tone.

8. ericb

AGREED 100%.. Hope that doesn't upset anyone!!! ERIC

9. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

This Crunch Box seems to interest me. Are they for sale already? I can't see anything on Michael's website.
    I'm also interested what it will look like with the Drive, Gain and Volume knobs!

10. erksin

erksin Member

I think he's still waiting on parts - I'm on 'the list' and haven't been notified that they're available as yet...

11. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

Well, I guess I'm going to mail him to get on that list too...
    You don't know how the pedal will look like? Does it have the same size as the BB or more like the Tube Zone?
    Thanks!

12. erksin

erksin Member

I believe it's supposed to be in the smaller BB/BP enclosure, 3 knobs, etc.

13. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I sent him my money on the 14th. He said he would send it out that week. So I'm hoping he has sent it out already.

I asked him about the gain level a few weeks ago. Here is what he had to say.

14. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Sounds like a very cool pedal.
    Would love to hear thoughts from those who end up purchasing it.
    AND a picture would help. Not much real estate left. ;)

15. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I can confirm this, I played one a couple of weeks ago and was seriously impressed. I had a Blues Pro and the Crunch box running into a Heritage head with Bogner 4x12 and the sounds were seriously gratifying. The combination of these pedals got me everything from low gain bluesy stuff to all out weedly-weedly lead tones :dude The Crunch Box by itself delivered some mighty punchy tones indeed, big range in tones and sounds well for medium as high gain stuff.

16. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

Wow! This is really what I'm looking for at the moment! Do you think it'll be a good combo with the low gain Timmy?
    Anyway, I think I'm going to buy me one if the price stays $99 :cool:

17. erksin

erksin Member

IME, the Blue Boy is the perfect compliment to the Timmy. It has the same kind of picking 'grip' on the notes as the Timmy (hard to describe - kind of like a rosined violin bow-type thing). That 'grip' makes it an easy sonic transition from one to the other - a very natural sounding, seamless gain changes. Plus, you don't lose that dynamic when you stack them. From Ed DeGenaro's clips in the soundclips section, the Crunch Box has that same picking dynamic going on with more gain (and a little Treble Booster tonal thing) than the BB.

18. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have a Timmy too. Basically the Timmy and Crunch Box will be my main source of drive when playing at home.

19. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Who's got the link to the Crunch Box webpage?

20. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

So do you think the CB will be like the BB only with more gain??

Sounds interesting. How are they when playing outside at higher volumes?

Last Nerve: we can't order it yet from miaudio.com so you'll have to email Michael and ask him to put you on his list.