MI Audio Crunch Box ??

A440

Silver Supporting Member
haven't been intrigued by many pedals lately, but Ed D's clips sounded great!

I checked out the MI site. from what I understand, these just starting to ship.

tell me more about this pedal :dude

any pics ? sounds a bit like my old 80's rat (good)

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
jlagrassa said:
I will have to check that out!

I have 4 Mi Audio pedals John.. I have the original Tube Zone, the Blue Boy , a Prototype Blue Boy (I think) , and 1 of Donner and his PLEXI Crunch pedals made for the Tsunami Auctions. The best is the prototype.. Isn't that wierd.. That's a KILLER overdrive that sounds dumblish , and notes explode off of it. The Plexi Crunch pedal is awesome for full-out plexi full gain sounds, but doesn't clean up as well, and doesn't work with any gain on amps as well. I don't think it's the same as his new Crunch pedals, but it's worth asking. If so , I way overpaid, but at least it was for the Tsunami victims benefit!!! He makes great pedals of all kinds. I'm a bit different than you though , in I have probably 30 overdrive, or distortion ,or boost pedals kicking around ,and I hate selling pedals I love!

ERIC

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
les_paul_strat said:
what is the web site with the clips
MI's is http://www.miaudio.com/ but Ed's clips he's referring to are on this Gear Page soundclips page.. They weren't any better than any other clip Ed has every made though ... Hate to say it! ;) Just my opinion

ERIC

erksin

It's not supposed to start shipping until late December per Michael's site. No clips up yet - save for Ed D's in the Soundclips section here.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Ed's a great player, but IMHO I don't think he's a good resource for pedal clips. To his credit, guy can make anything sound good ... and fit into his own unmistakable tone.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
gulliver said:
Ed's a great player, but IMHO I don't think he's a good resource for pedal clips. To his credit, guy can make anything sound good ... and fit into his own unmistakable tone.
AGREED 100%.. Hope that doesn't upset anyone!!! ERIC

El Salvador

This Crunch Box seems to interest me. Are they for sale already? I can't see anything on Michael's website.
I'm also interested what it will look like with the Drive, Gain and Volume knobs!

erksin

I think he's still waiting on parts - I'm on 'the list' and haven't been notified that they're available as yet...

El Salvador

Well, I guess I'm going to mail him to get on that list too...
You don't know how the pedal will look like? Does it have the same size as the BB or more like the Tube Zone?
Thanks!

I sent him my money on the 14th. He said he would send it out that week. So I'm hoping he has sent it out already.

I asked him about the gain level a few weeks ago. Here is what he had to say.

The pedal has quite a bit of gain. More than EVH, but it is a very ‘clear’ sounding pedal on high gain settings. It has a very articulate tone, with variations in picking producing a big difference in tone. Pinch harmonics are a breeze. With the gain set lower, it has a very throaty, midrange sound to it, which is very AC/DC to my ears. On lower gain settings the bridge pickup sounds quite punchy, and the neck pickup sounds fat, almost like the tone control has been turned down a notch.

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like a very cool pedal.
Would love to hear thoughts from those who end up purchasing it.
AND a picture would help. Not much real estate left. ;)

The pedal has quite a bit of gain. More than EVH, but it is a very ‘clear’ sounding pedal on high gain settings. It has a very articulate tone, with variations in picking producing a big difference in tone. Pinch harmonics are a breeze. With the gain set lower, it has a very throaty, midrange sound to it, which is very AC/DC to my ears. On lower gain settings the bridge pickup sounds quite punchy, and the neck pickup sounds fat, almost like the tone control has been turned down a notch.
I can confirm this, I played one a couple of weeks ago and was seriously impressed. I had a Blues Pro and the Crunch box running into a Heritage head with Bogner 4x12 and the sounds were seriously gratifying. The combination of these pedals got me everything from low gain bluesy stuff to all out weedly-weedly lead tones :dude The Crunch Box by itself delivered some mighty punchy tones indeed, big range in tones and sounds well for medium as high gain stuff.

El Salvador

LordRiffenstein said:
The Crunch Box by itself delivered some mighty punchy tones indeed, big range in tones and sounds well for medium as high gain stuff.
Wow! This is really what I'm looking for at the moment! Do you think it'll be a good combo with the low gain Timmy?
Anyway, I think I'm going to buy me one if the price stays $99 :cool:

erksin

IME, the Blue Boy is the perfect compliment to the Timmy. It has the same kind of picking 'grip' on the notes as the Timmy (hard to describe - kind of like a rosined violin bow-type thing). That 'grip' makes it an easy sonic transition from one to the other - a very natural sounding, seamless gain changes. Plus, you don't lose that dynamic when you stack them. From Ed DeGenaro's clips in the soundclips section, the Crunch Box has that same picking dynamic going on with more gain (and a little Treble Booster tonal thing) than the BB.

El Salvador said:
Wow! This is really what I'm looking for at the moment! Do you think it'll be a good combo with the low gain Timmy?
Anyway, I think I'm going to buy me one if the price stays $99 :cool:
I have a Timmy too. Basically the Timmy and Crunch Box will be my main source of drive when playing at home.

El Salvador

erksin said:
IME, the Blue Boy is the perfect compliment to the Timmy. It has the same kind of picking 'grip' on the notes as the Timmy (hard to describe - kind of like a rosined violin bow-type thing). That 'grip' makes it an easy sonic transition from one to the other - a very natural sounding, seamless gain changes. Plus, you don't lose that dynamic when you stack them. From Ed DeGenaro's clips in the soundclips section, the Crunch Box has that same picking dynamic going on with more gain (and a little Treble Booster tonal thing) than the BB.
So do you think the CB will be like the BB only with more gain??

Melodic Dreamer said:
I have a Timmy too. Basically the Timmy and Crunch Box will be my main source of drive when playing at home.
Sounds interesting. How are they when playing outside at higher volumes?

Last Nerve: we can't order it yet from miaudio.com so you'll have to email Michael and ask him to put you on his list.

Trending Topics