MI Audio Crunchbox vs Fulltone OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Platypus, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

I have a newer OCD and I love it. I'm looking for more of a hot-rodded marshall crunch ala Halen to run in the clean (or dirt?)channel of my Orange combo. The OCD gets me close to that sound but not quite for that over the top chewy/brown tone.

I know they're both 'marshall-esque' pedals, how is the Crunchbox different? Any firsthand knowledge from people who've played both would be awesome.

2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I'm curious about the same question.

The OCD to me sounds like a clean amp being pushed into power tube clipping with something a little harder like 6L6's. So for a "chewy" kind of amp like a Marshall, it pushes the amp and evens out to a huge rock sound. But with a really clean 6L6 amp like a Fender, it sounds kind of muddy or "hard." Not heavy, just hard.

I hooked up a Marshall Jackhammer last night...never liked that pedal. But in OD mode, it made the Fender sound a heck of a lot like a Marshall. Right down to the chunky bass and biting crunch in the high mids. It still sounded a bit congested and didn't clean up AT ALL, but for a static rhythm tone that sounds like a mid-gain 800, it did pretty well.

So now I'm curious about other crunchy kind of pedals. I'd love to find something with FET clipping or similar, but hey if it cleans up well with LED's or diodes and an opamp, I suppose it does the job, right?

3. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Tagging on to my old post but here's the Indyguitarist Plexi-Drive:

http://indyguitarist.com/plexidrive.htm

"Our new Plexi-drive is a big hit!! It absolutely *NAILS* that "JTM45" tone like none other. This pedal is made with JFETS in a circuit that looks, sounds, and reacts eerily similar to the famed Marshall Amp. Includes a switch that enables it to sound great with either clean sparkly amps (like fender twins, Vox, etc.) to darker beefier amps (like Vintage Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, etc)."

Sounds very interesting...

4. nedsteve

nedsteve Member

I was wondering the same thing so I'll be watching this thread.

5. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I own the OCD v1 and the CB v2. They don't sound alike at all.

CB is definitely more modern Marshall-sounding, with thick chewy mids and tons of gain on tap. Van Halen tones? No problem. Doesn't clean up that well. I use it in place of a preamp gain channel. The internal presence control is very useful in dialling in tones.

The OCD doesn't have a lot of mids, and is probably more similar to early Marshall e.g. JTM45? (just my impression since I've never played a vintage marshall JTM). It can get very bright with the (IMO) fizzy highs that Fulltone pedals have. The OCD can clean up very well. It's more of a natural overdrive and on high gain settings can sound very 'hard' as opposed to 'spongy'.

I daresay the CB is more marshall-esque than the OCD. In fact, the Fulltone website now describes the OCD as a Vox-y pedal.

6. Platypus

Thanks for the input, I was going for the hot-rodded marshall type tone so no JTM45 pedals please.

Chemical, your description is spot on to what I was hoping, the OCD seems more early marshall/voxy to me and cleans up great. I don't care too much about how the CB cleans up cause I'm only going to engage it for that 'sound'

Can you tell me the differences between the two CB models that are out? I see 'V1 and V2' referenced around here and I'm sure there were some changes to the pedal.

7. afterburner

you could check out http://miaudio.com/CB1.htm for info.

I've had both CB v1 and v2 and the only difference is that CB v1 is darker (less range on the tone knob) and lacks the internal presence trimmer. V2 has more high end on tap and a more tapered response for the volume knob (12:00 ~ unity). I like having the internal presence trimmer to dial it in exactly how I want it. Both are great, but try to get the newer one for more flexibility. Another factor to consider is if you have a dark or bright amp. you can't go wrong, it's my #1 pedal for hard rock playing! :)

8. Platypus

Sounds great, I usually goose my Orange (a dark amp as it is) in the dirt channel with my OCD set for more of a volume boost to tighten up the attack and add sustain/sizzle. This is great for AC/DC style rock but I wish there was more 'crunch/sizzle' and that glaze of harmonic overtones type sound to it. It sounds great now but I feel like I hit a wall with the OCD, adding more gain just makes it mushy, adding more volume achieves nothing, and as it stands it's not the hot-rod marshall tone that I want. I love crazy heavy 80s metal type sounds but also I want to dial it down so I can get sabbathy/zep type over the top sounds too. I think the V2 crunchbox may be the prescription?

Thanks for your help chemical

9. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Might also look at the Tube Zone.

How bright does the Crunch Box get? Is it actually "crunchy" on lower gain? Most clips I've heard are mid to higher gain.

10. Platypus

Hmmm... not to say you're wrong or anything but a few threads down people are suggesting this pedal for Dual Rectifier type distortion.. which is about as far away from the marshall tones I'm after as possible :)

Perhaps the Tube Zone has lots of options, who knows, I already have the real rectifier.

11. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Yeah, but a lot of the reviews say it does the modded Marshall thing really well. It was the "crazy heavy 80's" thing that caught my eye.

12. Platypus

Cool, thanks for the suggestion, like I said I've not heard much about it other than the thread I read so I was just making sure.

13. afterburner

um, I actually own the latest Tube Zone too and FWIW it's a bit too smooth for that Marshall crunch. also, the midrange is not as punchy as the CB. but, it seems most ppl do think that the TZ does the marshall tones as well as the CB. YMMV.

14. Platypus

I think we're on the same wavelength on this one, I think I'm set on the CB.

15. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I have the OCD and a CB on my board and absolutely love both. They are different to the point that you will find both useful for any application.I got the CB to give me the Marshall crunch and it definately gets me there. Both pedals allow good note articulation. I find I leave the OCD on all the time and when doing leads I turn it off and kick in the CB.

16. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Is there any kind of bass loss when engaging the Crunchbox? Wondering how it would do with palm muting.

17. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

Plenty of bass!, I have the v1, even to much!. I have tone almost full (3/4) because I find it a little dark and boomy at least in my Blues Jr