MI Audio Crunchbox VS Plextortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by j_m_s, Jul 24, 2008.

1. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Hey guys, Ive got a crunchbox now.

Just wondering, which one has more gain? or do they have roughly the same amount of gain?

Hows the boost on the plextortion?

I play almost all styles of music except metal. Ill be using this for a rock rhythm tone (which includes heavy palm muting). Does the plextortion have tight bass?

Im playing a strat(in the future a PRS as well) with humbuckers but id like it to work well with single coils too.

Which emulates a JCM800 better?

Thanks in advance!

2. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

3. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Not sure about the plextortion, but great Marshall emulators worth checking out are the Box of Rock, Punchtone, BB Preamp, OCD v4.. I think you'd be pleased with the BoR's voicing, or the PT..

4. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

BoR really kicks it in the bass region, very tight and pronouced too. sadly mines just sitting in a box right now since i gave it the boot to make room for a delay

5. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Can't comment on the MI Audio, but I'm pretty happy with the Plextortion I have (V1). It has nice, tight bass into a 2x12 Classic 50. I've played it with a Strat with EMG DG-20 setup, a Jackson SL2H with Van Zandt TruBuckers, and a Les Paul Classic. Gain wise, there is a TON.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

From what I gather the Pinnacle II is the one to beat from Wampler. I have a Plexidrive and really like it.

7. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

hmm, anyone else care to chip in on the gain difference between the crunchbox and plextortion?

8. el34power

el34power Member

FWIW The BOR is nothing like the crunch box. The BOR sounds like a crancked jtm45 not an 800. I have the BOR, the crunch box and a 2203. I use a tube zone in the low input to be able to have head room for a solo boost. So i would recommend the MI audio tube zone.

9. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Correct :)

Box of rock = plexi/jtm/SLP/JMP sounds
    Crunchbox = JCM800 2203 & 2210 sound.

if you get The box of rock its very acurate and true to replicating the tone of a jtm45- the bass is big and flabby like a jtm 45, I've read about lots of dissappointment with the BOR and the flabby low end, but thats how a real jtm 45 is so expect it. Kudos to Zvex for nailing those little things. BoR boost = great- gives you gobs of volume for soloing.
    And the bor Stacks well with the Crunch box set at low gain :), gets you a moded plexi sound.

FWIW, I own 3 JCM800s (2210,2205,2203) 3 plexi style and have played 65,66,67,69,70 & 71 Mk.II SLP's, the Box of rock really puts you there even more so with a loud amp thats clean ie: a twin, you can get some authentic marshall tones out of it..

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Box od Rock tight in the bass?!? :confused:

Did we play the same pedal? Mine was woofy, loose, farty, flatulent, almost muddy in the bass. I seem to remember having the tone cranked all the way treble and was still getting too much (and too loose) bass.

11. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

thats how real jtm 45s with KT66 or KT88 power tubes sounds :AOK, Big Crunchy low end. Thats what the pedal recreates.

12. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

hmm, when i first tried the BOR out i didnt really like it either, found the bass too flabby. which was what my crunchbox had before i tweaked the presence control.

The main thing im interested in finding out now is whether the plextortion has the same amount of gain as the crunchbox, or less or more. anyone care to chip in on that?

13. bonerhed

bonerhed Member

I have both. to me the crunch box has more gain, but is less "tweek-able". more tonal range with the plex. I also have the tube zone which to me is more modern sounding.alex

14. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

mm thanks! I use my crunchbox's gain at around 3 oclock. would max gain on the plextortion be able to hit that gain level?

Oh yes, one more question, the boost on the plextortion, does it cut through well? Also, can you use the boost with other pedals? ala, dont switch on the plextortion drive, but lets say use another drive like my lovepedal eternity, and the click on the plextortion's boost, will my lovepedal also be boosted? (kinda new to this 2-in-1 concept)

God Bless,
    James

15. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't call that crunchy unless throwing a wet sponge against the wall is crunchy! I found it way too loose and woofy on the bottom end for any kind of rhythm work but I suppose it could work for leads. I think there's a reason Marshall moved to el34s and solid state rectifiers. :AOK

16. bonerhed

bonerhed Member

I would say yes about the gain but can't answer the other question because mine is the last update before they went to the current one with the separate boost switch.Alex

17. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I had the OCD v4 and the Crunchbox. They are similar in gain but different in tone. Oddly enough they seem to get to the same place though. I like them both and have another Crunchbox incoming as we speak ;)

18. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

I tried a OCD at my local store awhile back, i believe it was the V3, and i hated it. haha. may i know what circuit improvements were made in V4?

I've popped Brian an email, hopefully he responds with my answer!

19. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

anyone here have the new plextortion?

20. gnugear

gnugear Member

No, but I have a Pinnacle and it sounds great. I had a tough time deciding between that and the Plextortion.