MI Audio Tube Zone. Old or new one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AdamLee, Sep 16, 2006.

1. AdamLee

AdamLee Member

I have been wanting to get a Tube Zone, but have only seen the new 6 knob versions. Has anyone tried both and knows whtat the tonal differences are?

2. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

I don't know about the tonal differences, but having all the knobs on the outside makes it a lot easier to fine tune your sound.

Excellent pedal by the way. Loads of possibilities sound wise with it.:AOK

3. seagate

seagate Member

Get the new one, Michael wouldn't release a revision if it didn't improve on the original!

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Never tried the older version but the newest one is great sounding and having all the controls outside the box makes it so much easier to adjust on the fly!

5. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

There are no tonal differences. Where can you get the older ones anyway (besides used on ebay)?

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

I would be overwhelmed by the 6 on the outside. I have the older 3-knob version, and I have to say that I am surprised how radical changes to the toggle switch, tone and gain are. I feel that this pedal can cover a lot of ground.

7. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

A friend of mine has the older one that I was testing. I don't know if was a matter of his guitar, cables or amp, but I found it a lot noisy. I think I am going to buy the pinnacle 2 instead

8. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I had a 2 in 1 custom version MI made for me, but essentially it was the earlier circuit (had the 2 way mid switch). I sold it because I couldn't adjust the mids and brightness to suit how I had my amp, but I liked the gain structure. I think MI actually changed the mid switch to a 3 way and then eventually to a continuous knob because of my insane murmerings on the subject. I vaguely recall suggesting a seperate 'bright' knob too which he also put in the newer versions. I haven't tried the new one yet but no one can say MI isn't just about the most responsive pedal maker around.

Anyway, I'd suggest the new version to be the pinnacle of many years (about 8 years) of refinement and adjustment...that'd be the one to get...bugger the price.:AOK

9. gooma

gooma Member

Just got the new one here :AOK

Dont be thrown off by the 6 knobs, after spending a few hrs with this pedal i`m able to dial in such a huge range of sounds.

I`m not usually that good at tweaking either and do prefer simplicity but once you understand how this pedal works you`ll be rewarded.

It`s hands down the best distortion box i`ve ever had, i`m just so happy to be able to pull very convincing Rectifier sounds as well as some of the better Marshall type distortions i`ve come across out of this box.

It`s worth every cent IMO, and if for whatever reason it`s not for you then you could offload it in an instant on the emporium.

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I had a V2, then picked up a proto which according to Michael is a V1 6-knob (in a smaller V2) case. Also just picked up a V3. I'd say very close as far as tone...I'd be pretty happy with any of these three.
    Greg

11. jappy

jappy Member

This might be a little bit of a hijack, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I just bought a Tube Zone and it comes with these spongy feet. I was wondering if these would come off cleanly if I pulled them off, or would I get this sticky spongy mess left behind?

12. el34power

el34power Member

Ha ha i know... If you go very slowly. It will come clean off. I then stick them to either side for safe keeping in case I bump my head and sell them.

As far as the tube zone new version...Just do it.

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

I have the 3 knobber with a two-way switch. It is real versatile in this config and can't imagine wanting even more control over the sound.