MI Audio Tube Zone owners please chime in!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Super Locrian, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I'm eyeing this pedal. I like the clips on the MI Audio site, but would like to hear from TGP'ers who own the pedal. I'm mainly going for a smooth lead tone à la Holdsworth, can the Tube Zone cover this well? Are you able to control the amount of compression? I tend to prefer a rather open sound, but it would be nice to be able to dial in a more compressed tone when needed.

Any things about the pedal you feel could be done better?

2. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I had the Tube Zone V3 and it's a great pedal. It nails the Mesa sound IMO. I think it does smooth pretty well, I only got rid of mine cause I realized I much prefer a Marshall sounding drive.

I think this is a pretty good demo of it, as far as what you seem to be wanting to use it for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOH5rVqWC2g

3. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I still use one. It does a great Mesa type tone and is very dynamic with a high amount of gain on tap as well. Useable tones throughout the gain range. For more compressed sounds, you might want to add a compressor before it.

Takes a bit of time to dial in your sound, but it's very powerful. I can go from warm mids to scooped modern just by tweaking the "Mids" control.

4. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have the three knob version. Too many knobs and I'll make it sound terrible....

I'm not using it currently, but when it's a great high gain pedal for my amps that can't do that on their own. If I remember correctly, it does some nice low gain sounds as well.

5. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have a TZ v3. It is great, versatile pedal. From a clean boost to heavy high gain and everything between. But... there is a but: be prepared to spend a lot time tweaking this monster. 6 knobs + internal trimmer, some controls are interactive. It could be heaven, but it could be hell if You are not tweaker :)

6. aksman

aksman Member

+1 on all of the comments.

For lead and smooth stuff, the TZ v3 is great. The only reason it got knocked off my board was because I needed a really high-gain marshall sound and ran out of room on my board (the TZ can match the Crunch Box/OCD territory, though).

It's going back on the board now that I bought a stiletto ace.

7. jackrockerman

jackrockerman Member

pls bring this post up!! :)