Mi Audio Tube Zone vs Fulltone OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jupzones, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jupzones

jupzones Member

edit!

thanks for the input guys i went ahead with the tubezone and will probably try the ocd one day. now i need to know what boosts well with it?

i have a bluesdriver modded to keeley specs by a local guy, a catalinbread hyperpak and a babrber direct drive. im trying to sell these pedals for some cash to get maybe a bbpreamp? what are you guys using with your tubezone?

Hey guys!

I've been in the market for a distortion pedal lately and i've narrowed it down to these two pedals.

I'm wondering which of these pedals would be better for pop rock and modern tones.

i'm liking the versatility of the tube zone but i've been hearing things from friends who say they dont sound very organic.

and im worried the fulltone ocd v4 doesnt have enough gain on hand, anybody know if the ocd is more of distortion or overdrive?

thank guys and hope to hear some inout

edit!

thanks for the input guys i went ahead with the tubezone and will probably try the ocd one day. now i need to know what boosts well with it?

i have a bluesdriver modded to keeley specs by a local guy, a catalinbread hyperpak and a babrber direct drive. im trying to sell these pedals for some cash to get maybe a bbpreamp? what are you guys using with your tubezone?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

They are completely different pedals, I think. I have both currently, and I think the Tube Zone would fit your needs better. You have to spend some time with it and dial in the sound you like. It is very sensetive to changes of the EQ. I like to set the mids up really high, because to me the pedal is a little on the scooped side. But turning the mids to about 2-3:00 takes care of that. The other great thing about the TZ is that it cleans up with your guitar volume very well. So you can get the low-ish gain stuff and turn up your guit vol to unleash the more modern distortion sounds. WAY more versatile than the OCD I think.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I've had both and think they are a lot closer than one would think. Both have a good deal of gain available and can get warm or bright with some top end grit. If you've never tried an OCD, you should pick one up and see how you like it.

4. jupzones

jupzones Member

thanks for the input guys. trying them out is quite hard where im located. would it make a difference if i use single coils or humbuckers? i use an equal mixture of both.

i've heard that the fulltone v3? is slightly darker voiced whereas the TZ is brighter. would it be better to get the tz since i play through an ac30,which is a dark amp, for jamming? although this doesnt reallly matter that much to me as i use house amps for gigs which usually are marshall voiced or fender voiced amps.

thanks guys, hope to hear more input!

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

6. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

The OCD (v.3) works great with my Dr Z Maz Jr, because of the way it is voiced. The OCD and TZ both clean up really well, with the edge slightly to the OCD. Being that you play an AC30, the OCD might mesh well with it. On the other hand, the OCD is not a modern sounding overdrive. It is, to me, it is an agressive plexi meets tubescreamer type of sound. If you can only get one pedal to cover vintage and modern tones, I would suggest the Tube Zone over the OCD. I would however recommend you get an OCD at some point, because both pedals work well together.

7. brianf

brianf Member

I have both. The Tube Zone has so much more thump to it. At high volume you can feel this pedal.

OCD is no slouch but does not cover the ground of the Tubezone.

What does organic in terms of a pedal mean??????

brianf

8. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have both and love both, but TZ and OCD are different pedals. TZ is much more versatile, but You have to learn how all those knobs are working and sometimes interacting. TZ can do light break-up tone, through mid to heavy gain chuga-chuga, but when the gain knob is turned, usually some others have to be turned too, to achieve good tone. OCD on the other hand sounds to my ears almost always good, but it sounds different than TZ :)

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

As also an owner of both ... I agree with most of what Prsnstrat says here ...

The OCD is a good pedal for what it does ... It's just not my cup of tea..
    Plus, I could never do much with it in comparison to the many Tube Zone possiblities ...

The point I'd like to contribute, is that the Tube Zone's feel to the fingers, to your touch.
    is more tube amp like then almost any other pedal I own or have ever owned ...
    It's amazing how close it is to feeling "organic," as if playing through a good tube amps OD channel ...
    It facilitates hammer-ons & pull-offs better then most pedals can even attempt to do...
    (Brett Garsed uses one with every setup from what I've read & heard ...)

On my board I use the TZ for a Boogie MI type of tone, or (better stated) a ballsy sound
    that's always can be relied upon to cut through a loud mix pedal during a high energy situation ....

The Jetter Gain Stage Red for that sweet chirp ...
    when playing softer or in a more fusion like setting ...

A Barber LTD V2 for fattening up a clean tone
    with a barely noticable amount of grit slightly above Unity gain ..

10. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I love the Tube Zone clips on the website, but I haven't played one yet. The TZ must be pretty damn versatile (and pretty amplike,for that matter), because the OCD ver.4 is incredibly amplike, and the EQ holds together as you back off the guitar volume better than any other pedal I've tried. And it does the 70's Marshall/Joe Walsh/Free/Bad Company-type thing better than any I've heard.
    I agree with idea of getting both (or one after another). It doesn't go too far past the JCM800 area, but it covers most. Not a modern Marshall sound like a DSM.
    The OCD has more than a fair share of bass, so it may not work for someone with a JBL-equipped Twin.

11. pete james

pete james Member

+1 on the Tube Zone

I have the earlier 3 knob version.....had a OCD v.2...didn`t grab me like the Tube Zone

Still different strokes for different folks:RoCkIn

12. HBob

HBob Member

I have both and I really like the TZ. The OCD v2(?) is pretty cool but no where near as versatile as the TZ as far as distortion available and tone control. I think the key to getting a good starting point with the TZ is to open it up and turn the internal trimmer all the way up. Before I did that I thought it had that "wet blanket" sound. Another overlooked function of the TZ is the great clean boost it can do if you get it set right. It's a really great pedal.

13. jupzones

jupzones Member

thanks for the input guys, i went ahead with the TZ.

now im wondering what i should use to goose it with.

currently i have a bluesdriver modded to keeleyspecs by a local guy, a catlinbread hyperpak and barber direct drive.

im trying to sell these pedals off to get some cash. should i go for a bbpreamp? im nt sure what would stack well. input?

once again thanks for the input, TGP is awesome!

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

The TZ has so much ump ... truly doubt if you'd need to boost it ...

15. pete james

pete james Member

The BBpreamp is the way I would go ......

It would be a great booster for your needs:RoCkIn