1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

MI Audio Tube Zone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Has anyone played one of these pedals? I have listen to the clips on the site, which by the way didn't do anything for me. I have also listen to Garsed's clip, but everything he touches sounds like gold.
    What are your opinins on this pedal.

2. Fernando

Fernando Member

I love mine, but then again I love the sound clips on the website. They're exactly what you get.

3. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I loved mine, but I went to an amp only set up. It has some serious gain. A lot more than expected. The tones are good, although a bit extreme at either end. I would buy one again, if I was in the market for an Od/Distortion pedal. It can cover more ground than any pedal out there.:)

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

6. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

The HB is a lot different in my book. The TZ can play at bedroom voume and still sound killer. The HB has to have a lot of volume to sound right. I also think the tone is smoother on the TZ.

7. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

I've been using a TZ for quite awhile. I stack it on top of a Timmy or a COT50. I swapped it out for an Analogman KOT for awhile but went back to the TZ. I just ordered his new Crunch Box. I'm wondering if I'll like it better than the Tube Zone. He says the TZ is more "Mesa" sounding and the CB is more "Marshall" sounding.
    Now, I'm not really a Mesa fan at all so I never would have characterized it thusly. It just sounds thick and fat to me. I keep the switch in the "non-scooped" sounding position though. If the Crunch Box is really more "Marshall" sounding then I'll be very pleasantly surprised! I've been playing professionally for about 30 years.

8. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Exactly the reason I got rid of mine, way more gain than I could actually use. Also the Gain knob itself was a bit fiddly, it was smooth for 3/4 of its rotation then the gain jumped real quick. I was told this was normal, but did find it annoying. Also it was slightly noisier than I expected, though when there's that much gain, who cares!

Besides the ergonomic issues, on the whole the pedal sounded very good. Nice picking dynamics and very versatile with all the switches and internal controls.

9. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I have owned way too many OD pedals and I love the TZ..Great lead pedal..

10. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

I've owned both the Hot British and the Tube Zone. I still own the TZ and sold the HB, however both are pretty versatile. I sold the HB mainly because it took up a lot of real-estate, required a special AC adapter and I found some other pedals that worked well for the sounds I was looking for (TZ, Emma Reezafratzitz, Xotic BB).

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

The TZ is a great pedal, lots of gain, thick and smooth tones. I like the Hot British too, but prefer the Tube Zone.

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

Do you know if the Crunch box voicing correlates to a certain position of the mid switch on the Tube Zone?

13. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Michael told me he's planning to make that switch a continuous mids knob. In fact, he's planning, or already building??? a new delxue version with all adjustments in pot form on the external of the pedal which will also be a different shape...not unlike the Boss shape but a bit bigger. With 6 knobs at the back in a recessed area, and the switch on a higher forward slanting front platform so as to protect knobs of accidental bumps. I recall he thought he might have the new box chromed a la Red Witch style.

I didn't know he described the TZ gain as Mesa-like. Hmmm, that's interesting. May be with the extra adjustability of the next model, that description might seem a bit limiting.

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

The two issues I'm worried about are Bass and gain level. I have heard many people say that the bass is overwhelming and the Gain is just to saturated. Then again everything is personal preference.

On my tonebone the gain never went above halfway. I know Garsed uses one and I love his tone. I'm getting ready to buy some new tubes for my Flexi 50. I'm thinking of going more towards a vox type of sound. Here of late I have had my delay's upfront. I'm wanting to use a cleaner amp sound so I can use drive pedals before my delay set up. I own a Timmy and love it for the slight grit sound, but was wanting a lead drive as well. Think Brett Garsed, and the newer Greg Howe stuff, but also think Scott Henderson and Michael Landu as well.

Hmm, just searching for something I might like. Do you guys know where one could buy one and return it if they didn't like it?

15. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

I don't find the bass on the TZ overwhelming at all. I think it's just about right. The trick on the TZ is that the tone control is not just a treble cut. Rather, it's a bass boost/treble cut to bass cut/treble boost control (going clockwise).

As for the gain, I'd say it has a large range and is pretty dynamic in nature. Even when you have loads of gain dialed-in, it still cleans up nicely when you roll-back the volume control on your guitar/change pick attack. This is one area that I found the HB to be lacking.

16. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I've had my Tube Zone for about a month. I still haven't quite adjusted it in. At first it seemed like a really great pedal and I still think it's very good, but there are some things that have been bothering me a bit. I must admit that I haven't had too much time lately to tinker with my gear and so the Tube Zone is probably not fully adjusted in yet.

What I've found is that to me it's very difficult to get the bass and the treble just right. It's very close but...you know what I mean. It's seems either a little too bassy or the highs get a bit shrill or harsh in my experience. I haven't found a setting where the bass and the treble would be perfectly in balance with the clean amp sound. I think I have to keep messing with the internal brightness a bit more. Maybe back it off a bit more (it's about halfway now) and compensate that by turning the tone more clockwise? I'm beginning to think that I've been spoiled by the EQ controls of the TIM and Timmy which are the best two pedals I've found for my rig so far. My amp is a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 which has EL84 power tubes.

On the other hand, I intend to use this as my medium/heavy overdrive box and a little coloration is not necessarily a bad thing (and it's almost inevitable with the heavy overdrive) as it makes my strat and tele sound fatter. And as I said maybe I just need to get my ears adjusted for a different sound than the TIM/Timmy! :)

Like said by the others, it's a really versatile pedal and dynamic. The gain range is impressive and the mid switch and the internal trimmers makes it adaptable to many rigs.

By the way, I remember that the instructions which came with the pedal said that TZ can be used all the way from a clean boost to a very heavy overdrive. My TZ doesn't offer very much of a clean boost volume when the drive is at zero and the volume is maxed. Is that the case with all of you TZ owners?? Not that I need to use it as a clean boost as I bought it for the high gain sounds, but I was just wondering if there's something wrong with my pedal? When the drive is past 12 o'clock there's some serious volume on tap though.

17. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

I used to have a Tonebone Classic, which I traded for a Tube Zone. Although I did like the Classic, I find that the TZ suits me better. I wanted an OD which would work well with my Suhr V60LP equipped Strat and would give me a really fat solo tone ( Scott Henderson style ), and the TZ is perfect for that.
    I use it with an already slightly overdriven channel on my Egnater preamp, so that's more like a boost.

18. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I'd have to disagree. The TZ is one of my favorite all time od pedals. It does have a healthy amount of gain, but it doesn't sound anything like a Metal Zone if that's what you're worried about. The TZ is very warm, full, and thick. I wouldn't say the bass is overwhelming either. I ran mine into the clean channel of my Bogner Überschall and as far a overwhelming bass goes, that amp has more low end than just about anything else. I also think the internal pots go a long way to help you tweak the pedal to your personal liking.

19. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Does anyone know where you can buy one of these with a return policy? :confused:

20. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I didn't use my TZ specifically for clean boost, but I found that to be the case as well. Crack the gain open a hair and the volume opens up considerably. Sort of like a BOSS SD-1 in that respect.

Musictoyz.com or Tonefactor.com should be able to help you out.