MI Audio Tube Zone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ryan, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

Does anyone, or has anyone, used one of these? MI's website makes it out to be pretty sweet. I have a FD2, and I like it for what it is, but I need something a little crunchier, less smooth, and clearer. Is the OCD a comprable box? Those are definately more adundant and cheaper than the TZ. Thoughts?

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

well you can get a used tube zone usaully for are ound 150 you just gotta look around.

3. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

I'd say the TZ fits your requirements for crunchy, etc. It can definitely be crunchy.

4. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I really like my TZ...from what you say that you're looking for, I'd say the TZ is worth a test drive. It's especially versatile with the three-way toggle. I usually like it to the right, for more mids, but to the left it sounds closer to the OCD. The ODC has more clarity, and depth, but I think I like the TZ better (but have not tried the OCD at band level, it may shine more in that setting).
    Greg

6. Ryan

Ryan Member

Deluxe! I was thinking about e-mailing Michael and asking him to build me a one-off with the internal controls on the outside, and the switch on the face as opposed to the back. I think I'll wait... :D

7. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    So does the amp have to be set "gainy" before hand in order for the tube zone to get some good "rhythm crunch"?

Does it work well wih the amp on a clean setting?

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

The more research I do, it's looking like it's either this or the Blackstone.

Seems like Blackstone's outta bidness at the moment, so I believe that the Tube Zone is going to be it

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

I had a TZ, didn't care for it. On lower distortion settings it is very noisy, but the same as other pedals on higher settings. To me, it was very processed sounding, reminded me of a fusion type tone. I didn't think it had crunch, more of a TS type grind with the same type of compression, but more distortion and voicing options on tap. The different voicing settings are given with an oddly placed switch, but I kept dialing it in within the ballpark of a TS, so I sold it, already having a TS. I think the DGTM and Monte Allums modded TS-9 are better pedals, within that general ballpark. A friend just bought an OCD and loves it, but I'm yet to test drive it.

10. yZe

yZe Senior Member

I have an OCD, and am not ready to retire it by any means. It's just that i don't dig the high end out of it, but I roll it off w/EQ

If not the Tube Zone, I may be going for the Toadworks Mr. Ed

11. emeprod

emeprod Member

Well, I personally love my Tube Zone. I play it through a clean amp and it will do more crunch than I need any day. I'm in a band that covers Boston to Green Day and the Tube Zone does a wonderful job. I used to use a Mesa Boogie Mark III and the TZ can get similar tones in my opinion. BTW, I have the 2nd generation model so I know the latest model is more versatile.

12. Whiskeyroad

Whiskeyroad Member

Just curious Gulliver, Did you do the mod yourself or send it off to him. Looks and sounds awesome. Maybe a good spot to ship off my TS9

13. RickB

RickB Member

Are you talking about the older version that had the mid switch on the back? There are no switches on the new 6 knob version. I find mine to be quite quiet on the lower gain settings and at high gain, it is better than most IMO.

14. gulliver

gulliver Member

Yes, I did it myself. It's a very easy mod. If you're handy with an iron, give it a go. The only tricky part is removing the original chip, as the solder needs to be pretty well cleared before it will budge.

...my TZ was the last gen without the extra knobs.