MI Blue Boy Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DreamTheaterRules, Feb 5, 2008.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I have a question about the MI BBD. I have seen it listed as a great smooth OD pedal. In the thread asking what is the best smooth OD pedal it is mentioned several times.

I just got one and it is anything but smooth. It is agressive, punchy, VERY dynamic. It is nothing like my Keeley TS9 or Fulldrive were. It's nothing like the MI Blues Pro which it sits right next too on my board.

My question: What's up with that? I bought it expecting the most tonally versatile screamer type pedal around. It IS very tonally versatile with the controls it has, and it IS a great OD, just not at all what I was expecting.

It's closer to the Blues Driver or OCD in "open and dynamic" than it is a screamer in "smooth and compressed." The Blues Pro is much more screamer-like than my Blue Boy Deluxe.

I'm really curious about all the "smooth" comments I read about it.... :confused::confused:

2. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Inquiring minds want to know because I want his BBD ;)

3. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I cant explain the smoothness people were descibing, But I think it's very compressed compared to the Blues Pro.

I love it with a Tele!

4. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

Take into account all the differences between people's setups first... Mine is used as a very light drive and a tempering pedal at the end of my OD line (Sunlion>Compressor>Brown rabbit>KOT>BBD).

I don't know that I would describe it as 'smooth' really. I like it because it beefs up my sound and works great as a light thick drive for chords and such. I have it dialed in to color my tone a certain way. Also, I've never had any other OD play so well with others.

I keep the character knob between 12 and 1 oclock and all the other small knobs get moved between 11 and 2 oclock depending on guitar/amp/room sounds. I don't like the drive very high at all. I have other pedals I like A LOT more for higher gain/distortion/fuzz sounds.

If you don't dig it though, that's that.

5. justintee

justintee Member

i recently rid myself of my bbd, not because it's not a great pedal, but was eclipsed by others.. i think some may be equating the smoothness described to how 'compressed' it sounds.

6. gratay

gratay Member

I use one and wouldn't use the word smooth to describe it...Its not a smooth singing sustain lead sound. I often wonder if it would be though if it was being used in conjunction with an already distorting amp..I use it with a clean amp and use it for low/mid gain chord rhythm styles. I find it pretty versatile ...you can get lots of different tone variations out of that pedal . I also like it best with the gain under 12 o'clock...
    but when it comes to solo's I stomp on something else.

7. erksin

erksin Member

I think its a pretty smooth pedal, but its also very lively and dynamic as well. The last pedal I'd compare it to is a Blues Driver though - way more mid content going on.

Have you looked at the opamp? Did somebody swap it for something like a TL072?

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

That was the main thing I liked about the one I had was the punch it had.

9. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

I swapped many chips but I always came back to original. TL072 sound great with BBD. After a year and a half owning it I found out that it's just kind of HI FI sounding pedal that lacks the character.

10. sandman

sandman Member

I thought you loved it? :confused:

11. DreamTheaterRules

G Will, it's not that I don't like it. It's a really good pedal. I had just heard "smooth" so much I expected a very versatile screamer sound and it AIN'T THAT!

Erskin, yeah, not comparing it to the Blues Driver in frequency response, just in how open and dynamic it is.

Actually, I was going to ask about chip swaps but I've found that with most pedals, while I can hear the difference, it's usually subtle, or at least something that won't change the whole character of a pedal. The Chip is kind of hard to get too in it. I have some chips though. I"m going to radio shack to buy a chip puller and maybe I'll try a couple others in it.

12. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I sometimes use one with a Les Paul into a Marshall 2203 and it seems pretty smooth. Too me...my Blue Boy Deluxe is way more Screamer like than my Blues Pro and a much different feel than my Blues Driver. Go figure.

13. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I had a Blue Boy (pre BBD model). The main thing I remember is that it was reall smooth and creamy when adjusted to the stock TS settings per the manual.

14. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Gotta swap chips to increase the smoothification. Try either a LM1458N or Burr Brown OPA2604 (I think that's the designation). A chip swap changes the character quite a bit from the stock JRC4558's. If you'd care to, do a search on chip swap, Burr-Brown, etc. A couple of methodical and generous folks have shared their time and resources on this, and I, for one, am a happy beneficiary of their posts. My 'honeymoon' period w/ the Blues Boy lasted till I got a BBD, which lasted till I got another BBD. Have kept all 3.

15. gearboy

gearboy Member

I wouldn't say it was smooth but it's certainly smoother than a Blues Driver. I use it to push an already dirty amp. Bright at 8-9:00 Mid and Tone around Noon, Character off, Level at 2-3:00, Gain at 9-10:00.

16. DreamTheaterRules

Chip swapping huh... I'll definitely give that a try.

IN the mean time, I have found MORE smooth. I was starting with the mids at noon. The more you crank them, the more get's smooth. Cranked all the way, it is "fairly" smooth. Still not as smoother or screamerish as my Blues Pro, Fulldrive II or Keeley TS9. But getting closer.

17. impactblue

impactblue Member

Just tried one....all I can say is that its very versatile and you can get a tone of different tone out of that thing.

Its slightly compressed but very open...I think it's awesome for rhythm! The Gain sweep is huge...from clean to classic rock! Wicked!

18. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

Update : Got replaced by the Xotic RC Booster... Which is more of what I was trying to get out of the BBD anyway.