MI Blue Boy vs. Barber Small Fry

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tprince, Jul 24, 2006.

Which pedal would you recommend?

1. Barber Small Fry Burn Unit

2. MI Audio Blue Boy

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tprince

Tprince Member

both very versatile pedals - how do they stack up for guitars, humbuckers in particular?

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

I won't vote since I haven't tried both, but I love my BB Deluxe, and Barber is very good too. I have the DD w/ mod board.

The BBD might be said to have a tubescreamer as a tonal center, with massive variation available in many other directions. I'm not sure where the "tonal center" of the Small Fry would be. I think it can be both more compressed or less, as that's one thing the BBD doesn't really alter, except in proportion to gain. I'd love to try it.

3. erksin

erksin Member

Blue Boy gets my vote - incredible pedal, IMO. I use it with humbuckers, P-90s, Minis, Single coils - all sound fantastic to me. I've had a ton of ODs pass through my house in the past year and a half - the BB is the one I'd keep if I could only have one.

4. Tprince

Tprince Member

I assume BB has true bypass?

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I owned both and kept the Small Fry. It was close, but the control over the compression (dynamics) on the Small Fry really works well with the single coil bridge pickup in my Strat.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Yep.

In regards to the compression - you can easily swap out the opamp in the BB to something other than the stock 4558, I use an LM833N in mine and it has noticeably less compression than stock.

7. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

I tested the Small Fry, and then I saw the new verison on of the BBP with the toggle switch. Amazing pedal.

The SF is great too, big fan here.

But for me, the BBP won. Little cheaper too...

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Never tried a Small Fry, so I won't vote, but I know David builds great stuff.

Just wanted to give a shout out for the Blue Boy, which along with my Tonebone, has survived many, many many a/b comparisons with boutique gear. I use a TL072 or Brown-Burr in mine and it freak'in rips with either. Plus, you can adjust just about every aspect of tone with the internal and external controls.

Between the socketed opamp, 25V headroom, true bypass, killer build quality, dead quiet circuit and tone adjustability, it's just about the perfect pedal, IMO. Can't believe I only paid $129 for it!!

Had it since it first came out and it's not likely to leave.

9. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I think a more realistic comparison here would be the BBD to the Barber LTD...just because I would categorize the Small Fry to be more medium/moderately high gain pedal. The Small Fry is in the gain category similar to the Direct Drive. My ears hear slightly more compression on the Barber stuff than the BBD, which sounds really un-compressed to me...but in a good way. ;) You get more tonal control and tweak-ability on the BBD as well, but they are both great. I'm sure this does not help you much but wanted to add my $.02.

Brandon

10. Tprince

Tprince Member

Thanks, everybody, you've been quite helpful. BillyK, I've got a Tonebone too - it sounds like that and the BBD will cover all my needs? I think I'll go buy one.