MI Blues Pro v. MJM Blues Devil?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tzamosti, Aug 1, 2006.

1. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

What do you think I should go for? Want to add a little medium gain OD onto my board. Heard great things on each, and soundclips sound nice too. Leaning towards Blues Devil but the Blues Pro is cheap. Thoughts?

2. landru64

landru64 Member

i should have my blues pro in a few days. have had much experience with the blues devil and will report in.

3. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

For now, can you report about the Blues Devil, landru? Mine should come late this week and I'm getting anxious!

4. landru64

landru64 Member

got the blues pro today. it's pretty cool! for the money, it's stupid good. it is much thicker and richer than the MJM, but too bassy for me;gets a little too thick and muddy to my ears. if the MJM has a fault, it is that it's a little spitty in the top end, but that makes for the most killer neck pickup sound ala SRV. it's a leaner sounding pedal than the the blues pro which would probably would be nicer for soloing on the bridge pickup. the fuzz function is cool, too. not bad! nicely made pedal. i like the blues pro with the gain all the way up..chords are nice. but the treble all the way up is not good. ymmv. i still think the MJM is the ultimate tubescreamer. the landgraff DO is a tubescreamer, but goes to another place entirely. the blues pro is something else (good) but it isn't a tube screamer to these ears....

5. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Sweet! Thanks for the comparison. Guess I'm lucky I ordered the MJM. I like sparkly treble and SRV Neck pickup sounds.

Should be here tomorrow or the following day! :)

6. tzamosti

Thanks guys...yeah I had been leaning toward the Blues Devil too. And after spending the last two months on this board, a little extra cash seems well worth it to be satisfied with the sound of your rig.

7. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Cool, looks like you're choosing the same route as I, haha. What is your amp/guitar setup?

8. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I will say, that I have ab'd both with a strat, vintage, and several mics into protools and the MI Audio pedal was 3 miles behind the mjm as for general pleasing drive and the frequencies that the mics picked up and the MJM BD sounded big and full..... Without the comparative, strict recordings that I made, my ear wouldn't have been able to guess how different they record.... so some good advice for all the gearpage MASS pedal collectors spending money on pedals upwards of 4600 USD!!

9. tzamosti

Right now my rig is a 80's American Strat into a B-52 AT-212 Combo...Dime Crybaby Wah, Humphrey-mod CS-3, RGW Bad Bob Boost, Barber DD, Humphrey-mod SD-1, US Reissue Big Muff, Keeley RAT, Emma Reetzafratziz, Analogman-mod Small Stone, CE-2 silver screw, Ibanez 80's Digital Flanger, TR-2, and DD-20.

Waiting for a Timmy and a Hotcake. Also, thinking about getting Keeley to mod the CE-2 and TR-2. Maybe some good Lava cables in the works too (Klotz and Canare)!

Thinking I might lose the SD-1 and replace it with the Blues Devil. After the Timmy and Hotcake get here, I think I am done for awhile. Just really got into the gear a couple months ago by stumbling on this page. Man, I have been hooked. But, I have to say it has been great creating such a better sound. Such a difference from before when it was just a couple Boss pedals strung together.

10. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Do you still have them? I'm waiting patiently for my BLues Devil here!