1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIA std strat, a good choice? (vs JV and MIMs)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yannis, Jul 3, 2006.

1. yannis

yannis Member

Hi all,

I am considering to trade in my Laney LC30II (will get new amp) and a Squier HSS strat and a Morley PWA2 wah pedal for a MIA std strat 3c burst.

With all the anti-MIA and anti-Fender discussions and the JV strat topics i am a bit sceptical.

I will add 460$ cash to get the MIA in addition to the Laney+wah+squier. Bear in mind we are talking UK prices.

The MIA i tried (only one in the shop) had perfect neck pocket fit, dark RW but a bit dry(porous though), good grain on the body, and seemed to resonate fine (not a perfect judge of resonance will test her more). Also the back of the neck had subtle flame to my eyes.

Anyhow i played 2 MIA strats in the last 3 days and 3 MIM strats (50s RI, Dlx Players, Dlx players LTD edition). To my surprise both MIAs felt MUCH more solid in my hands and better made.

Anyhow, i would very much appreciate your suggestions.

My other guitar is a Tokai LP (MIJ) and i was considering to either get a no-name parst-caster from a german e-shop, a MIA strat, a JV strat or a 2nd Tokai LP. I guess it makes more sense to get a different type of guitar (strat) since i got a good LP.

PS:!!!!!! I dont want to start a flame fest between MIM and MIA or cheap vs expensive, I DONT care, i am simply a bit confused with recent threads talking about MIMs etc. So:

1. Does it make sense to trade in Laney+wah+squier+cash(460$) for the MIA?
    2. Does it make sense to trade the Laney for a pair of (BKP) pickups and a cheap pedal?
    3. Does it make sense to buy a 2nd Tokai LP (flametop, i got quilted now) in addition to my existing LP? (i only have 1 good guitar now, the LP).

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

2. bullet69

bullet69 Member

if you played it and liked it then go with the American. i think the mim are good value guitars and play very well but the american strats have better hardware and the workmanship has been very good on all of the ones i have played in the past couple of years.

3. yannis

yannis Member

Cheers bullet.

I am an LP person in general so my strat knowledge is not superb. I can just say that the MIA i played (both actually in 2 different shops) had a very nice quality and feel that just felt right, i cannot quantify it or describe it further. I dont know if you get what i mean by this

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

yannis,

I've owned three Am Std strats and don't have a major complaint on any of them.

As bullet said, If you've played this guitar and are impressed with it, go for it. The USA does have better hardware.

Good Luck

5. yannis

yannis Member

gkoelling:

The guitar just felt "right". As i said i am no strat expert. I got an Epi-SG400 and my main axe is a Tokai LS85Q LP.

I would be greatful if you could tell me three things.

1. Does it make sense to go for a strat now that i already have a good keeper LP? (rotation between good axes and less wear).
    2. Is there a checklist for checks i should make on the strat? (i am no strat expert)
    3. Does the deal (Laney+squier+wah+460$ for the MIA SSS sburst make sense? UK prices, UK MIA list price 1500$, street price 1300$, i get it for 1200$).

So far:
    1.neck pocket fit:perfect
    2.Good body grain
    3.Nice frets/neck
    4.Potentially good resonance
    5.Subtle flame on the back of the neck
    6.Dark (and porous/dry) RW board, i suspect a bit of Dunlop02 fretboard conditioner should make it perfect.

Anything else that i missed?

oh and PS: Is the MIA in general a better solution than a JV?

6. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have a 1984 MIA strat that is fine. My daughters is a mexican strat and though it playes well it's hardware is inferior and it has a venerd body (you can only see this if you take the nck off. It is a grat guitar and only cost abut $200. But my strat onlt cost $400 22 years ago. I would stick with the MIA.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have no experience with the JV but it gets pretty good press around here. However, you won't find one with a rosewood board.

You have a "keeper" LP, great. If you want a guitar that will do what a LP can't a strat is a good choice. You'll have more versatility with both than you would with either alone.

There isn't a specific "checklist" I use when buying a guitar. If everything works and you like the set up, you're OK. It sounds as if you've gone over it thoroughly.

As for the deal you've been offered, I can't say for sure. Look at the gear you're getting rid of on this deal. Could you sell it on your own for more? I suspect you could if you're going through a dealer. Nothing against dealers but they're in business to make a profit and they should. If they didn't they wouldn't be there and you'd have to find that strat elsewhere.

The risk you run from not trading your used stuff in is, by the time you sell it yourself the strat might be gone. Strat's are like any other guitar, you have to play a few to find the one that's right for you. It sounds like this strat is right for you, so....

8. yannis

yannis Member

Fair points man! Basically i need to move in 3 weeks, and living in a small town (now) wont help me much into selling the stuff on my own. Hence the "trade-in" idea.

The other idea is to haul them back to my country and sell them there... but, hauling 2 amps vs 1 amp is different

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

1. Doesn't sound like a great deal.
    2. Can't say.
    3. I'd go for a Strat to get different tones. JV Strat is a great value.

Of course none of the above matter if you really want to get rid of your gear for the move. In your shoes, I'd sell for cash, move, then see about getting a guitar.

Good luck with the move and the gear!

10. yannis

yannis Member

Fifthstone:

By UK pricing stds if you are in a hurry to sell it seems like a good deal based on my research last night.

As for the JV, i prefer RW to maple but i wonder IF the JV will be a better guitar than the MIA std.

I played some more today with her vs a MIM Dlx players. The MIA had old rusty strings and it was AS loud acoustically as the MIM with new clean strings... hm.

11. jlf2960

jlf2960 Member

I've never played one but I have heard that the MIM Robert Cray strat is a great value. I've heard that the neck is a really thick C shape and its got a rosewood board. I've played the JV and I didn't care for the V shaped neck. One thing about the RC strat is that is routed S-S-S so you can't put in a HB without routing it, which is what is keeping me from picking one up.

I've heard that the 3 best values in the Fender line are the Jimmie Vaughn Strat, Robert Cray Strat, and the Muddy Waters Tele.

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have both an American Standard and the JV MIM. I would say they have the same acoustic resonance and feeling of overall quality. The MIM JV has fret ends that were as nicely smoothed as those on my American Standard. Knowing all this, I would roll the dice again on another JV vs an American Standard. I don't feel like I've given up ANYTHING in going the MIM route in this case.

13. yannis

yannis Member

Hm so basically as far as i understand... if i like RW boards=>MIA std, if i like Maple=>JV

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

American strats are pretty nice guitars for the $$. I have a 98 burst which may be a mutant, but is acoustically alive and resonant and plays wonderfully. Swapped out the pups, but they were actually nice stock pups and matched the guitar well. The JV strat is an exceptional deal for the money, especially if set up right. It has more of the vintage thing going on but is really nice for blues, given it's rich thick tone and thicker neck profile. I got a great deal on a used JV strat and havent looked back. It is a wonderful instrument and really the best guitar value under 600$. I have seen more variability in the JV strat build quality versus the american series, which are more consistent. For all around playing, I would get the american strat since it can pull off cleans and dirty tones very well, especially with any pup upgrade. The JV stock is wonderful too for the $$, but the pups are designed to replicate Jimmies tone and are overwound and thicker sounding. They are very complimentary IMO. I'm getting a new bone nut installed on my JV strat now which should help out. I dont touch my American strat, never took the neck off or all of the strings off at one time when restringing- I dont want to screw up the coupling that is there now that makes it such a fabulous guitar. I recently found it's brother, a close serial number 98 strat with similar burst color and damn if those two guitars sound very very similar. Guess they bought really nice wood that week at Fender and made a few mutants, or had the boss come to work that day and watch over everyone...You might want to also check out the John Mayer guitar, especially if you like thicker necks. I really like this guitar, and it is a little more expensive but not in the EJ strat territory. The pups are ok, designed to not be mid rich, but the guitar's neck is the best feature, thicker than the American profile and really nicely finished. Might be able to find a used one for around the Am Std prices...

15. yannis

yannis Member

You got me covered on all grounds dewman! I think i ll go for a MIA std, and just upgrade to a beefier steelblock tremolo. Thanks everyone!!!

16. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

good choice...the callaham tremelo block is NICE, but might not even be a necessity. They do add a nice tone to MIM strats though. I altered my wiring to give me no tone on the middle pup and a separate tone on the bridge pup (basically the JV strat wiring diagram is what I followed, although there are others that give a designated tone control for the bridge pup). Good for rolling off the bridge and pretending to be Eric Johnson...I upgraded the caps to sprague for about 1$, I use a 0.047 rather than the vintage 0.1 and the modern 0.022. I have Fralin Blues in mine, but pups are so varied that it is hard to steer anyone towards a particular brand. The Fralins have a nice bottom end and aren't harsh at all. I like 'em. I have tried texas specials and didnt think they matched well with my maple neck (harsh and bright) and recently tried custom shop '69s which were ok but rediculously bright for this guitar. I think the stock pups are really not bad at all, are generally pretty quiet and have halfway decent tone. Anyway, good luck with the MIA strat purchase..

17. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Before you pull the trigger, check out a MIM Limited Edition Player Stratocaster. They didn't produce 'em for long, but the guitar is a real winner. It's akin to a American Vintage Strat with Texas Specials and medium-jumbo frets. It's quality (imho) is well above the standard Mexican Strat. I've had many American Vintage Reissues; this guitar is right there with 'em - no kidding. I'd take it over an American Standard any day. I own both; I (really surprising for me to admit it) prefer the Limited Edition Player Strat. I officially must state - that is one Naftacaster that rules!

Peace,

jb

18. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Yannis, FYI, the new MIM Standard Strats come with a beefier trem block. I tried it out for an hour in store and it sounded very good. The new beefier trem block makes a noticeable difference.

Deman, I've found that rolling the guitar's volume knob back a touch "thins" the sound a bit while retaining the highs...a bit more vintage sounding than full on.

19. yannis

yannis Member

The ltd edition players MIM is the one with gold hardware and pearl pickguard? Because i already tried a white one like it.

20. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Mine is Aztec Gold and pretty much looks like an American '62 Vintage Reissue - 3-ply pickguard, slightly aged pup covers and knobs (not the goofy-looking faux yellow on japanese reissues). It came with a great black tolex case. It sounds great outta the box - just lower the Texas Specials deeper than you would ordinarily and it's really a decent sounding instrument. I swapped out the Texas Specials for Lollar BF, and installed a Callaham block. I'm tellin' ya - the guitar is really great.

Peace,

jb