MIAB for Fender Blues Jr III

DSL74

I have a Fender BJR III w/the Cannabis Rex speaker and I like the overall clean sound it offers for home practice use. But now I want to get a MIAB pedal to give me some classic rock (Cream, Zep, Hendrix etc.) type of Marshall drive (no heavy metal stuff). So which of the many out there (inc. SL Drive, DLS MKIII, Plexidrive etc.) is a good match for the BJR? I want the MIAB I get to be able to stack well w/other od pedals, and also with an MXR phase 90, chorus pedal and of course fuzz. Appreciate any recommendations.

laughingsam

depending on your budget, an ocd works well (i have the bj3 w/CR speaker) or you can do the joyo ultimate overdrive, which i really liked.

i also think barber pedals (i have a compact direct drive) work really well with it.

the bj3 already has a lot of mids, so you don't really need a tube screamer variant, although i really like mine with it.

DSL74

depending on your budget, an ocd works well (i have the bj3 w/CR speaker) or you can do the joyo ultimate overdrive, which i really liked.

i also think barber pedals (i have a compact direct drive) work really well with it.

the bj3 already has a lot of mids, so you don't really need a tube screamer variant, although i really like mine with it.

Thanks for both replies so far. Price is right on the OCD, but does it stack well with mod pedals and fuzzes?

Sun Creature

I stack my Barber DD with my 250, sounds great.

Can't recommend the Barber enough if you want a MIAB OD that actually works well with Fender amps. Fulltone OCD just always sounded too fizzy for me with them.

Last edited:

DaveKS

Ramble Effects Marvel Drive 3, having a treble and normal chan you can blend will go a long way in dialing it in for your slightly darker speaker.

meowmers

DLS Mk III went well for me.

The problem with getting the Blues Junior to sound like something else is the EL84s which gives it a chime and sag more than a tighter sound.

fahqicehole

I would have a look at the zvex distortron.

As stated above, the barber direct drive is definitely something to consider - it plays well with others.

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
You're going to get a zillion responses here.

Here's mine: A Weehbo JCM Drive or a Freaking Sick 30 Volt Overdrive. The latter I've just acquired in the last week or so, and I'll be doing a longer write-up soon. It's a very, very versatile MIAB, that'll take you from low to just about as high gain as you want to go. Lots of EQ control, plus presence, plus 3 15 and 18 volt operation, plus a vintage/modern switch. It's an excellent sounding box, and it competes with the best that I've owned.

DSL74

DLS Mk III went well for me.

The problem with getting the Blues Junior to sound like something else is the EL84s which gives it a chime and sag more than a tighter sound.

I am more or less torn between the SL Drive and the DLS MKIII right now, with the Barber in a close 3rd place.

Last edited:

mdrake34

I am more or less torn between the SL Drive and the DLS MKIII right now.

I had the DLSmkIII and currently have SL Drive. The SL drive has A LOT of gain on tap in the SL mode (I've never changed the dip switches), but it also stacks with pedals. I run both my KOT (one channel at a time) and Astrotone (not at the same time as the KOT) into the SL Drive and it sounds great.

I had a blues jr, but sold it to get a roland blues cube hot.

stilwel

SL Drive sounds great into both my Hot Rod deluxe and Blues Jr. I run the amps completely clean and have the SLD set to Superbass mode at fairly low gain. Takes fuzz and Od pedals very well.

Last edited:

gatordoc

You're going to get a zillion responses here.

Here's mine: A Weehbo JCM Drive or a Freaking Sick 30 Volt Overdrive. The latter I've just acquired in the last week or so, and I'll be doing a longer write-up soon. It's a very, very versatile MIAB, that'll take you from low to just about as high gain as you want to go. Lots of EQ control, plus presence, plus 3 15 and 18 volt operation, plus a vintage/modern switch. It's an excellent sounding box, and it competes with the best that I've owned.

I've never tried the Freaking Sick but totally agree with the JCM Drive. I have a BJ III Humboldt with the C-Rex and I've run a lot of ODs through it, including a DDSS, and the JCM Drive is the MIAB for me. Very smooth Marshall OD with 3-band EQ; 3-way toggle for selecting high mids, mids, or low mids; input impedance knob; built-in 9V/18V voltage options; and both JTM and JCM voicings. Its not a hot rodded Marshall sound but more of a classic low to medium gain Marshall OD that stacks really well with other pedals due to all the EQ and gain options. I've been stacking mine with an Iron Bell lately to add some fuzz on top and its become my favorite OD/distortion combination.

TCMx3

Ramble Effects Marvel Drive 3, having a treble and normal chan you can blend will go a long way in dialing it in for your slightly darker speaker.

seconded.

had a few, also own a few Marshalls. this one nails the sound while most of the others, at least IMO, have too much upper nasal honk that sounds like a metal panel super lead run too quiet to me.

Stratburst70

Another vote for the SL Drive here. Xotic's Voltage Booster is highly recommended with this pedal: it increases the headroom and decreases the fizz.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom